Found 126 film and flashcubes under a shelf at home!

The Wedding

D
The Wedding

Rockwood Bungalow

A
Rockwood Bungalow

Posing

D
Posing

Saab 99LE

A
Saab 99LE

Fall

A
Fall

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenshi Daito
Recent bookmarks

Bronson Dugnutt

Subscriber
Shooter
Traditional
I had to avenge the C-22 Kodacolor, so I exposed an ad-hoc load of Vision3 250D a bit earlier. It went in before some 35mm & 16mm, so the chemistry was fresh.

insta500_250Ds.jpg

The results seem mushier than the b&w but I still like the rendering.

clip0s.jpg clip1s.jpg

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
This C-22 Kodacolor had a silver based antihalation layer which would further complicate b&w processing.

You can get color images from that if you mix your own CD-3 based color developer, use C-41 bleach and fixer, and get a hexamine or formalin based stabilizing bath. I've heard of people getting useful development with unaltered C-41 at 80 F -- but the formalin or hexamine stabilizer is crucial for C-22 dyes.

The silver layer in that film, AFAIK, is actually the yellow filter layer below the blue-sensitive color layer. Careful treatment with Farmer's Reducer after B&W processing can reduce this layer's density with only slight loss of image silver.

Bronson Dugnutt

Subscriber
Shooter
Traditional
You can get color images from that if you mix your own CD-3 based color developer, use C-41 bleach and fixer, and get a hexamine or formalin based stabilizing bath. I've heard of people getting useful development with unaltered C-41 at 80 F -- but the formalin or hexamine stabilizer is crucial for C-22 dyes.

The silver layer in that film, AFAIK, is actually the yellow filter layer below the blue-sensitive color layer. Careful treatment with Farmer's Reducer after B&W processing can reduce this layer's density with only slight loss of image silver.

I tried a frankenstein C-22 process: CD-3/metaborate developer (minus the benzyl OH), hardening stop, ferricyanide bleach, regular fix. There was zero dye formation, even fog, from this 50+ year old film.

As you say, the stabilizer must be this sticking point.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
the stabilizer must be this sticking point.

What I've read is that C-22 dyes don't become colorful until they've had that little interaction with formaldehyde. If you still have that film, a bath in Cinestill C-41 final rinse might fix it...

Bronson Dugnutt

Subscriber
Shooter
Traditional
I just tried a dip into the hexamine-based stabilizer from a disused Arista C-41 kit to no avail. Presuming that hexamine was still intact (and is a suitable substitute for formaldehyde), this step probably needs to happen prior to bleaching and fixing.

I'm all out of C-22 film so I'll never know, but I don't feel too badly about it 😛

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
this step probably needs to happen prior to bleaching and fixing.

Not to my understanding. This is called "Final Rinse" for good reason; it's also the wetting agent and antifungal, and should be the last bath for the film (equivalent to PhotoFlo).

It's also possible your CD-3/borate developer didn't develop anything (we can rule out exposure because of the pre-exposed frame lines and numbers on Kodak 126 products). No easy way to tell with the result you got.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom