Members
Latest member
eradman
Recent bookmarks

Doc W

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
I was all set to pour the developer into the Paterson tank. I had mixed up 1 Litre of D76 working solution at 1:3 but I got interrupted. That was 48 hours ago. The developer has been sitting in a full 1 Litre bottle for 48 hours in a pretty cool room. Is it still good? I can't seem to figure it out from the Kodak (Alaris) data sheet.

John Wiegerink

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I was all set to pour the developer into the Paterson tank. I had mixed up 1 Litre of D76 working solution at 1:3 but I got interrupted. That was 48 hours ago. The developer has been sitting in a full 1 Litre bottle for 48 hours in a pretty cool room. Is it still good? I can't seem to figure it out from the Kodak (Alaris) data sheet.

I'm pretty sure you'll be okay. If it were in an open tray it might be a different story, but in a smaller beaker with less developer surface exposed to air you should be fine.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
As long as it's not turning brown(very unlikely) it's fine. We assume that the stock solution, has been kept in a full bottle and is reasonably fresh.

Anon Ymous

Shooter
35mm
Why not drop in a film leader and develop it for the recommended time? If it gets adequately dark, then it's probably ok. If you also fix it, then you can also eyeball density against a lamp...

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
If you've already diluted it 1:3, its oxidized by now. Make fresh.

I agree. And even if it isn't oxidized, what is worth more, the wasted developer or the exposures on the film and the film itself?

Alan9940

Shooter
Multi Format
You could do a clip test, as Anon Ymous suggests but I'm with Paul...toss it out and make fresh. Why risk it?

cliveh

Shooter
35mm RF
No problem, it will be fine.

Shooter
35mm RF
Ha this is a chance to test our collective wisdom. Me personally I would mix fresh but for APUG sake I I would do a short snip test with the old AND the new, and compare.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Ha this is a chance to test our collective wisdom. Me personally I would mix fresh but for APUG sake I I would do a short snip test with the old AND the new, and compare.

Yes surely a hatred of waste and financial prudence suggests this is the correct decision

pentaxuser

TomR55

Shooter
35mm RF
Overextending developers is penny wise--especially given the cost of film.

D76, IIRC, is not a particularly strong developer (nor is it particularly stable if home brewed). Mix developers with distilled water, dilute, use promptly and discard. Make sure that you have an adequate developer to film ratio; diluting D76 1 + 3 might fine if the total volume of liquid ensures that an adequate amount of developer is available to correctly process the film area.

foc

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
If in doubt......throw it out. 😎

Some maths regarding costs/prices. (for example)

Cost of developer to make 300ml.......... €0.22 *
Tri X 135-36 film to buy..........€11.00
Images on film..........priceless!!!

*based on D76 3.8L at €11 mixed 1+3

removedacct1

Shooter
Large Format
I'm curious to find out if the OP used it (and what was the result), or discarded it.

It makes no sense to use a diluted developer that has been left out to oxidize for two days, only to find its ruined a roll of film. You're saving 25 cents worth of chemistry, but probably ruining a 9 dollar roll of film.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I'm curious to find out if the OP used it (and what was the result), or discarded it.

It makes no sense to use a diluted developer that has been left out to oxidize for two days, only to find its ruined a roll of film. You're saving 25 cents worth of chemistry, but probably ruining a 9 dollar roll of film.

Well it has been sitting in a full bottle for only 2 days but you and the the others may be right that it is "shot" but isn't the above an argument for testing a leader in it first?

pentaxuser

removedacct1

Shooter
Large Format
Well it has been sitting in a full bottle for only 2 days but you and the the others may be right that it is "shot" but isn't the above an argument for testing a leader in it first?

pentaxuser

Testing a piece of exposed leader is going to tell you if the developer is active or not. But its not going to show you HOW active the developer is. Odds are its going to result in thin, underdeveloped negs.
I hope the OP tells us what happened, if he used it.

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
As long as it's not turning brown(very unlikely) it's fine.

Not unlikely, unfortunately. It had problematic packaging not that long ago, mine was brown, brand new. Same w/ the Dektol. I guess they got that fixed? I haven't used any of it (new) since those episodes. The old stuff is bulletproof.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
For the sake of the OP who has received conflicting responses as to whether his 2 days diluted developer is "toast" or not, can I ask if those who believe it is "toast" have had a bad experience of using 2 day old diluted D76 in the same circumstances as the OP?

Thanks

pentaxuser

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
For the sake of the OP who has received conflicting responses as to whether his 2 days diluted developer is "toast" or not, can I ask if those who believe it is "toast" have had a bad experience of using 2 day old diluted D76 in the same circumstances as the OP?

Thanks

pentaxuser

In a world filled with allegory:
Toast doesn't really go bad.
Diluted film developer is unpredictable, inconsistent, unreliable and is like a ship - when it goes down it can take the crew (the film) with it.

TomR55

Shooter
35mm RF
Unclear to me that performing such an investigation would yield any generally useful result? But, then again, I'm no chemist.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Diluted film developer is unpredictable, inconsistent, unreliable and is like a ship - when it goes down it can take the crew (the film) with it.
This may well be the case, Matt but in what circumstances? Some respondents have said it will be fine with no qualifications on that statement at all, others say it may be fine but use the leader test and yet others are in the "dump it " category

All I was trying to do was find out what the experiences of the "dump it " respondents were of a dilution in similar circumstances as the OP? I am convinced that there will come a point at which all categories of respondents will agree that diluted D76 has become almost certainly or certainly "dead" but is this 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours etc

I was trying to obtain user evidence on this

pentaxuser

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
All I was trying to do was find out what the experiences of the "dump it " respondents were of a dilution in similar circumstances as the OP? I am convinced that there will come a point at which all categories of respondents will agree that diluted D76 has become almost certainly or certainly "dead" but is this 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours etc

The point being that there is not likely to be any such point, because if you don't use it promptly, "Diluted film developer is unpredictable, inconsistent, unreliable".

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
The point being that there is not likely to be any such point, because if you don't use it promptly, "Diluted film developer is unpredictable, inconsistent, unreliable".

OK, Matt, I give up. Time I did that more often

pentaxuser

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom