Companies Not Marketing Right

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Hubigpielover, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree completely! Everybody needs a youtube presence these days. I research every product I consider buying on youtube. I think a few fairly well done youtube videos sell more products than a full on tv ad.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:

Even if you are scanning, color negative film gives a wide latitude of light so there is more shadow detail than slides or digital. The tonality is STILL better on color negative film than digital.

3. saman13

saman13 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's true. But even with the wide latitude I still end up blowing out my highlights no matter the medium :sad:

4. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OP: how and to whom would you suggest Kodak market the new Ektachrome? IMHO, running an ad during the Super Bowl is not going to have many people digging through their closets to find their film cameras and slide projectors so they can relive the glory days of the 1970s, so something else is required.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:

You really need to learn to use a light meter. Start with taking the readings without any sky. Or fly out to Los Angeles and I will teach you.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A television ad would be ludicrous.
    Most people aren't watching broadcast television any more. The only exceptions would be those people who are old enough to have once used film, and either still do or, in most cases, made the decision to stop using film.
    Maybe Kodak should hire the Russians. They seem to be able to get a message out effectively :whistling:.

7. OP
    OP
    Hubigpielover

Hubigpielover Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I didn't duck out. Just been busy trying to buy a business (which got me thinking about this) and writing a stupid report for the Feds. There have been a lot of good points made here.

This is an assumption that people know these website are out there plus we can only do so much. I do know APUG is the best place I found for analog photography info and it doesn't suffer the snark and holier than thou that a lot of website have.

This is is what I was getting at in my long winded explanation. When I was first laid off, I wanted to take a intro to film/darkroom. They ended up changing the order of classes and made digital camera/photoshop to the intro to photo and film/darkroom to the intermediate class. So right there, that eliminated anyone who might have been exposed to film trying to fill an art elective.

I agree.

Well I was hoping someone from one of the companies would see this and I also wanted to see what others thought. Although I feel you are being a little tongue and cheek, and I might have crossed over into old man screams at clouds

Thanks

The good news is I had a great conversation with a semi-local place in New Orleans that still has darkroom chemistry and paper.

8. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think your targeted marketing is off if you are trying to reach manufacturers.

9. OP
    OP
    Hubigpielover

Hubigpielover Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

By giving it to people who shoot film and have a youtube channel or write a blog about film. Social media push which is cheap compared to buying super bowl ads.

10. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And what are they going to do on a YouTube video?

11. OP
    OP
    Hubigpielover

Hubigpielover Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is who going to do with a youtube channel?

12. Luckless

Luckless Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Talk about art and using film as a medium of artistic expression? Talk about equipment and its impact? - What did people write articles about in photo magazines 40 years ago?

13. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Zey are going into ze darkroom vit infrared kamera und showink ze image appear!!!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can think of a lot of things
    They could start with simple topics like "how to load film" or simple promotional information like "it produces warm tones or highly saturated (insert marketing bs here)
    They could go up to info on using in a pinhole camera, reciprocity issues and how to compensate.
    Best practices and chemicals to develop at home. What gear is required.
    it doesn't just have to be about the film, but how the film gets used. There are people out there just getting started and this kind of information put in video form and linked to their website could provide valuable info.
    I'd love ilford to put out a video on how to mix their developers/fixers. When I first started a simple "black and white developing kit" with video instruction would have been invaluable. Include everything required to process film.

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Zenit announced to bring out a "new" camera. We thus could see how they market it.

17. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Kodak doesn't care about the individual consumer. They're not interested in what one person does. They do the majority of their business with other large businesses. Kodak makes their money from selling software, machines, and emulsion coated plates to the printing industry. Photographers don't do much for them. I'm guessing the only reason they still make film is because they still own all of the formulas and equipment to do so, and they still make chemicals and stuff for their printing plates.

I work for a print shop that spends probably $25k-100k on Kodak products a year (depending on if we upgrade our software or hardware that year or not). They don't really care about us either. If we call them with a question or problem, it usually takes a few days for them to get back to us. We're small potatoes compared to the big print shops that spend millions of dollars a year, every year on Kodak products. Those are the guys who Kodak is focused on. Same with Agfa. They are commercial print companies who still do some film. They're not film companies anymore. And I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a similar situation with companies like Fuji and Ricoh. Sure they still make film, cameras, and other photographic equipment, but they're bread and butter is industrial print equipment. Ricoh (who owns Pentax) is all over the digital press boom that's sweeping the print industry.

Photographers just aren't where the money is. Honestly, I think we should count ourselves lucky that they haven't decided to abandon photographers completely. They're doing us a favor by staying in the game.

18. Kevin Ekstrom

Kevin Ekstrom Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The only thing I would like to add to this thread is I sure would like to see Agfa regenerate itself. I use to shoot Optima religiously, I cant tell you how much it hurts not being able to land that stuff anymore.

Sorry Kodak.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With digital photography going to overtake the analog form at Agfa it was decided quite early to get rid of their complete consumer business, what finally they succeeded in. And from then on they showed no interest in any consumer market, but instead re-invented themselves on the commercial digital sector.

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Unfortunately the world has not yet discovered APUG nor rediscovered film.

21. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eastman Kodak do have a bit of presence in the cine film world. With respect to still film, they are just a contract manufacturer. Kodak Alaris is the entity to pitch anything to if you have a promotional idea.
    Much of the world has gone that way. Those who manufacture frequently don't market.
    Big drug companies being the exception, of course!

22. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I thought that it is illegal to advertise for prescription medicines in Canada.

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is - and as far as I know, it is most everywhere else in the world too. The USA is the exception. What you may not realize is that we in Canada are "blessed" to see a lot of US television, and we get many of the same magazines as one finds in the US.
    Drug companies are allowed to market to doctors though.

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Yes, we in the States are not smart enough to figure that out.

25. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is this "APUG" thing you refer to? My browser's address bar reads "www.photrio.com." :smile:

26. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe it's 1/3 of the holy trinity of apug, dpug and hpug (was it ever hpug? I dunno.). It's hard adapting to the new name. My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.