Chicago Albumen Works Centennial Paper

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by sdivot, Apr 26, 2017.

1. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a decade old pack that is still good. But then I bought it myself and had stored it in a fridge all this time. Not knowing how the person stored yours, I wouldn't venture a guess. It is easy enough to check without doing any real contact prints - cut a couple of small pieces, put one in the sun for some time, may be 10-20 minutes and leave the other in the dark. Fix them both - the latter should be nice and white and the former yellowish brown.

There are a lot of people here who can help with digital negatives. Feel free.

Good luck!

2. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got the box today, paper isn't bright white, it does fix to a white base. No sun here, I have a contact printer that has Argon lamps gives off some UV paper is definitely responding. I think I will be able to make it work. Need bright sun. Snow tomorrow.

3. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah, the base is warm off-white, not bright white.

Looks like you are all set. Looking forward to see what you print.

4. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Argon lamps are a bust. I made a contact print in very weak sun of a 617 negative , broke all the rules used rapid fix , looked pretty drab. So I dunked it in some really strong 25% Se toner it looked great for about 30 seconds, turned nice and black. Then the toner started to bleach out everything.
    I need sun and time

5. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Once I tried to see what the base paper measures in the scanner so I can compare with processed paper. So I put a piece of the POP in the scanner. To my surprise, it started getting exposed right away from the very first (preview) scan. So I set it for continuous scans to see how far it can go. In about 30 minutes it seemed to be nearly fully exposed. Here are some of the scans:

2018-04-28-0003.jpg 2018-04-28-0005.jpg 2018-04-28-0007.jpg 2018-04-28-0010.jpg 2018-04-28-0015.jpg 2018-04-28-0019.jpg 2018-04-28-0020.jpg

The scanner was Epson 3200. The scans are very roughly 0, 2, 4, 7, 10, 15, 30 minutes of total scan time.

Weird...and neat - you can watch the exposure in progress. Never tried with a negative though.

Anyway, this is something you can use while you wait for the Sun to come out and play....:smile:

For Se toning you will have to wash the fixer completely out of the paper first. Otherwise it will react with the toner to give dark precipitates, staining the paper. Also, straight toner will be too aggressive, I am using 1:60 dilution.

6. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's fascinating! I am going to slow down and follow the instructions. I have gold chloride, everything I need . Even very dilute hardening Kodak F6 fixer bleaches it. This is stated clearly in the instructions. I'm in no big hurry. It's a great material, but I'm glad I have the modern stuff. This is a great insight into the past.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.