Chicago Albumen Works Centennial Paper

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by sdivot, Apr 26, 2017.

1. sdivot

sdivot Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an almost full 50 sheet box of 8x10 Chicago Albumen Works Centennial Printing Out Paper. Although I can't find an expiration date, I'm certain it's around 10 years old. It's been in the refrigerator the whole time.
    Do you all think it's still good? What it's worth? I won't use it, so I was thinking of selling it.
    Any advice/opinion/experience out there?
    Thanks for any replies,
    Steve

2. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, Steve:

Well, I have a box about that old too and it is still good. It was refrigerated too. I have been printing on it with digital negatives last few months.

:Niranjan.

P.S. If you want to part with it, we can talk.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    sdivot

sdivot Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Niranjan,
    Thanks for the reply! I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with it (if I do let it go, you'll be the first person I contact). Knowing it may be good, I may try to make some prints with it. May I ask: how are you printing your digital negs? I have a Nu-arc unit, and was wondering roughly the exposure times for this paper. Also, I know people usually use gold chloride to tone. I read you can use selenium as well. Selenium is much cheaper, so I thought I'd try it with my first experiments.
    Thanks again for the info,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

4. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Steve:

I built my own little BLB bulb unit with which I am getting 20-25 min exposures. I do not use gold chloride but use Selenium (KRST) toner. I prefer the chocolate brown color of the latter than a more yellowish tone obtained typically with gold (of course the price too.) At some point when I get my scanner running again I will share some pictures.

Check this if you do not have it already for instructions on recommended process for the paper.

http://www.albumenworks.com/links/DW_Data_Sht_2006-06.pdf

Regarding digital negs, I am using Pictorico on HP B1980 (both of the same vintage as the POP!)

I could tell you more, but then you would want to keep the paper...just kidding.:smile:

:Niranjan

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is true P.O.P. paper, you can tell if it is still good by taking a piece of the paper and a B&W negative, sandwich them together, emulsion to emulsion, take the sandwich out into the bright sunlight, expose the sandwich to the sun. It should begin to expose on its own if it is still good. Do let the paper warm up a bit.....Regards!

6. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I just put up 7 scanned images of my Centennial POP prints on my website:

http://niranjanpatel.zenfolio.com/p790410975

Tell me what you think....

7. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
  8. Peter Schrager

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's a shame Ilford chose to kill this product
    Totally underrated material
    And yes I know the back story about the plant and difficulties coating..

9. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, Peter. No, they are post-fix selenium toned.

Didn't know Ilford was the original manufacturer of these. From what I understood, Kentmere was the last one to supply through Chicago Albumen. So what is the back story?

10. jnantz

jnantz Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yep
    but you can make your own if youwant :smile:
    the GEM gave classes in colodioPOP christotype? ( i believe victor at alternative photo used to make and sell it )
    and you can also go to the lightfarm and see fantastic things denise ross is doing with her own POP emulsion :smile:
    while i can understand mass quantities not beingmade anymore ( like paladio pt/pd paper being discontinued in the 80s/90s )
    anything can be done on a small scale from making film and paper ( SG ) to POP, and other sun based " stuff" ..

go team !

11. Peter Schrager

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I took the class on pop colloidion...great process but different from the centennial paper
    Ive had vary results withe first..worked great in Rochester bit lousy when I lived in Florida
    Could have something to do with the water

12. Peter Schrager

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Backstory was the kentmere plant was s mess and they had to shit down just to coat and reopen..theres a thread here somewhere that explains in detail

13. Jens Hallfeldt

Jens Hallfeldt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

it is the paper I love most of all I ever used.
    Here is why: https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums/72157676072065411
    Keep it and have fun using it.
    Gold toning (Tetenal Goldtoner or Moersch) works great, but I newer liked selenium toning this paper.
    Even 1:40 diluted Kodak RST gave very bad results...
    To those who had more success: When do you use it? Combined with gold toning? I tried it after fixing and washing.

Best wishes
    Jens

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, Jens:

I tone only with KRST, no gold, after fixing, hypo-clear and thorough washing. With selenium the trick is not to have any unexposed silver retained before toning as it will stain the print. Unlike gold, selenium will react with both elemental silver as well as the chloride and the nitrate. So the latter have to be removed completely before toning.

16. Jens Hallfeldt

Jens Hallfeldt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Niranjan,

thank You for the answer, so the only difference is, that I used already gold toned prints.
    I'll give it a try with Se toner only... your pictures look great!

Best wishes
    Jens

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  17. Peter Schrager

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I still have a full box!!

18. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. I don't know what happens when you double tone with gold followed by selenium. I did not want to deal with gold if selenium was good enough - kind of an expensive habit to get in to. I found that to control the toning process, you do have to use very dilute solution. Otherwise, after a certain time bleaching effect becomes dominant and image can start losing density.

On your flickr page (interesting microscopy work, by the way) you mention "APP Collodio POP" - is this a commercial POP?

19. Jens Hallfeldt

Jens Hallfeldt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Niranjan,

yes, "APP Collodio POP" is or was a commercial POP. A great paper with similar look to the centennial paper. I got it from Dead Link Removed (no longer existing), seems not to be available now.

With Se I have exacly that bleaching effect. How much do you dilute the KRST for POP?

Yours
    Jens

20. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    KRST 1 (gm) :60 (ml) distilled water, toning time of 7 mins. Use fresh for each print (probably an overkill.)

21. Jens Hallfeldt

Jens Hallfeldt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Niranjan,

thank You, that is indeed a lower concentration.

Best wishes
    Jens

22. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just bought an unopened box off of Ebay, do you think it's any good. I'm going to have to get busy with my Dear Deardorff. I have a contact printer with Argon lamps, significant UV Azo will take a 5 second or less exposure . I just hope it's good.

23. nmp

nmp Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Lucky you!

Please share your results.

24. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you think it will still be good? The box is in perfect condition, not sure how it was stored. I'm going to need to get some help to make a couple of digital negatives of the appropriate density. I have a 8x10 Deardorff V8, so I can make negatives. Going to need to get out and busy. I will try some small prints 1st . I have plenty of gold toner ingredients and bulk plain hypo. I have wanted to try a properly coated P.O.P. for ever. I played with Kodak Studio Proof 40 years ago, I didn't know what I was doing.

25. Peter Schrager

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Its definitely not good...you are free to send it to me

26. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To quote Montgomery Burns "Excellent!"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.