Canon's Last Analog Camera

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by M.A.Longmore, May 31, 2018.

1. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Even though we all know that Nikon cameras are better than Canon, this is very sad.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See it positively (you might be surprised to read me saying such...)

It means that there have been people still buying such high-end camera new, until stock has gone now.

4. OP
    OP
    M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I was astonished to hear that !

5. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second that. Given the availability and prices on the used market, it is hard to imagine who would have been buying a new Canon.

But keep in mind that Cadillac built the "last" convertible in 1976, and brand new turntables (and vinyl records) are readily available.

6. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are MORE turntables being made NOW than ever before.

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sad indeed. But I was a bit miffed that Canon changed their lens mounts rendering all my FD lenses not usable with newer Canons. On another note, Nikon glass always focus backwards. :laugh:

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Which is why when my girlfriend won a Tamaron 28mm to 300mm AF lens I chose Nikon over Canon. I did not want to get trapped in changing lens mount problems.

9. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That, and the Nikon mount fit my camera. :smile:

10. Billy Axeman

Billy Axeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Next one is the Nikon F6. So, in 2017 I bit the bullet and got a new F6 with a high serial number for a low price (because shops were thinking they were unable to sell them) and the most important accessories like a battery grip with extra battery holder. It was just in time because today it is already quite difficult to find anything new for a reasonable price (notably the accessories) which probably means production has ceased.

11. zkascak

zkascak Member

Shooter:
    Hybrid
    I am some how going to have to find the cash to get an F6 before Nikon stops selling new gear. Even though I am a huge Nikon fan, this is still extremely saddening for me.

12. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rub it in why don't ya :wink:

13. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought all the Canon old stock EOS 1s were gone a few years ago. On the bright side Canon will repair until 2025. Last couple years rumors of a Nikon F7 based on the Df. I would be very surprised, they sell a couple hundred F6s a years hard to see who they can make any money.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never saw a new EOS for sale in the last five years. Was this in Japan that they were still selling them?

16. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Never had the need or desire for the EOS 1V, being well-serviced (still!) by a faithful EOS 1N first brought into service in August 1994!
    All the same, Canon is merely confirming what we saw coming when their first announcement of discontinuing their 1V was made in July of 2010, followed by formal discontinuation later that year.

17. Poisson Du Jour

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Why?
    For the very, very small number of professionals using 35mm (none here in Australia I know of), they would not go out and buy a pre-used EOS 1V. They would want a camera that is covered by warranty, just as a Hasselblad or Pentax 645Z. My still in-service EOS 1N was warrantied for 2 years from the date of purchase, but never required a service other than a recent clean-out of upper-viewfinder/pentaprism dust.

18. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

One good thing about the Canon EOS EF mount introduced in 1987 is that without exception any EF lens from 1987 to today can be used on any EOS camera body from 1987 to today: I can use a 1987 50/1.8 EF lens on a new 1DX Mk II or I can use a new 24-105 f/4 L IS II with an old Canon 650 from 1987.

True, there is no crossing the FD/EF boundary. However, I think the decision by Canon to do that was bold, brave, and risky. One of the most significant decisions in the camera industry. I've said before that I would've loved to have heard the board room discussions that led to their lens mount decision (had I understood Japanese).

Whereas Nikon did not make a sharp boundary in compatibility as Canon did, there is a 20-year timeframe, a "sliding window", of compatibility whereby lenses and bodies aren't fully compatible. See here:

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Annoyingly it's one of those things that should be standardized. Like which way to move the stalk for intermittent wipe vs single wipe on your windscreen.

19. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True, no E lens will work on any film body including the F6. Hi end Pentax bodies film and digital will work with all K and with adaptor M42 lens with limited functionality. Only Minolta 7s, 5s, and few factory modified 9 will work with SSM micro motor lens, while all Konica Minolta and Sony A mount digital cameras will work with both 5 and 8 pin A mount lens. But, cant knock a EOS 1V or N, great line up lens.

20. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not everyone thinks that way.

Source: The Nikon and Canons i've owned.

21. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Anyone is entitled to disagree with me and be wrong. <<wink>> <<wink>>

22. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your source information may be in error if the Canon Sure Shot 80u was made up until 2003.

23. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You do have a peculiar kind of charm.

Anyways, i think i'm over the Canon vs Nikon debate. I think the real winner is Asahi Optical Co (Pentax).

24. Poisson Du Jour

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Yay! Everybody loves Flavio...! :laugh:

25. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was quite surprised to read that the EOS 1V was available new until recently!

26. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had a brief (very) association with Canon Eos1 and Eos1n a long time ago and frankly I didn't like them which is why the association was very short. Nothing wrong with the mechanics, it was the shape of the body, I found it very awkward to use. On the other hand I was very surprised to find that they had still been available although manufacture ceased in 2010. Does that mean a camera made 8 years ago, presumably presumably in a sealed box, will still perform as well as a similar device even if only made a week ago?

Whoever buys them, good luck and hope you enjoy your purchase - I will stick with my Nikon F6/F100 and a very old F601. Both of the newer ones are from about the same age as the Eos1v but used regularly. The F601 gets an outing occasionally and still winds, focuses, and meters as good as new.