Are there any film recorders that do not require software?

Discussion in 'Digital Negatives' started by jsmoove, Dec 5, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    jsmoove

jsmoove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually thats a good question, which has the highest resolution....a planetary camera, a film recorder, digital silver, or taking a picture of a 4k computer monitor?

2. Craig75

Craig75 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    since barcodes are just straight black lines on a white background - it might be best using adox cms20 and strong rodinal - and its very easy to get a super high contrast negative with that combination which should be both extremely fine and sharp.

(that was my experience with trying to find a development time with agfa copex - which i *think* is adox cms20 - was very easy to blow the whole scene out and just get massive contrast while trying to find a pictorial time - but thats exactly what you do want in this situation)

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A 1200 dpi laser printer, some decent paper, and a good macro lens and a 35mm camera - preferably with a power winder.

4. OP
    OP
    jsmoove

jsmoove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    @Craig75 Im thinking 2d barcodes if that makes any difference. Thanks for the info on the adox cms 20 though, didnt know about that. I like the idea of the digital silver technique you had mentioned because there would be no need to do the chemicals myself for a more precise image...but im not sure if the resolution is better with digital silver compared to a film recorder.

5. OP
    OP
    jsmoove

jsmoove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    @MattKing Would a 1200dpi laser printer be of better resolution than a film recorder or digital silver print?

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The film recorders weren't/aren't particularly high resolution.
    But it is your dual goals of saving the barcodes on film and minimizing the costs that lead me to the laser printer suggestion. The digital silver print would likely be more costly than the output from a laser printer. My 1200 dpi Samsung laser cost me about $125 CDN, includes a scanner and a fax and an ADF and uses very inexpensive toner.
    What can you tell us about the barcode files that you are working with? File format, size? If the format is shareable and not proprietary, can you share one example? I could try printing it to see what you would get.

7. calebarchie

calebarchie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    And what is the purpose for having these barcodes on film? Do they need to be functional, decorative, enlarged, projected, archived?

Photographing a monitor you must deal with things like set up, magnification, flare, refresh rates etc. You must also take into account the RGB array and pixel pitch with regards to actual resolution achievable. All monitors are going to be different. Recorders usually have monochrome CRTs with an RGB filter wheel.

How many barcodes do you need?

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually some of the professional film recorders were based on a CRT screen.

9. calebarchie

calebarchie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ^Yet they are very different technologies and also in their operation re recorder. The OP should just take a photo of one and go from there, its easy enough.

EDIT: Here are some numbers for the OP, this is the film recorder I have CRT based
    http://www.promarketinc.com/pdf/agfaaltocolour.pdf

16K: 16 384 x 12 228px
    8K: 8192 x 5464px

@16K flare is the limiting factor for resolution (not counting stupid exposure times) 8K is max practical limit. 4K monitors are 3840x2160 which you would have to divide by at least 3 so 1280x720px HD resolution.
    These CRTs work by exposing the film line by line rather than sampled at once. Yes you will need software and deal with SCSI but it is relatively modern. MOPS has free trial software for and good info here (advanced section):
    https://www.gammatech.com/html/35mmSlides.htm

Want to buy one?
    http://mops-computer.biz/plson01_.htm

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  10. 3DJack

3DJack Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    jsmove, is this thread still live? I’ve got an Agfa PCR4; a 4k film recorder. That’s 4096 x 2730 pixels. I drive it from a modern PC with a SCSI card. Of any interest?

11. OP
    OP
    jsmoove

jsmoove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    @3DJack You're selling it? I found a few digital to film (4k) services, both in the UK...First Call + CPC london. Having my own would be stellar...but im all the way in NZ and I probably cant afford to buy it off of you haha

12. 3DJack

3DJack Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello jsmoove,
    No, sorry the film recorder is not for sale, but I'd happy to put a film through it for you. What is it you're hoping to achieve? Why do you want to make a 35mm negatives or slides from a digital image? I use the film recorder for making 41mm x 101mm 3D colour slides; no one else does that! Do you work in black and white or colour? The machine only writes a positive image, so if you put negative film in it you get a negative. I always use reversal/slide film to give me a positive slide. Any use?
    Regards,
    Jack

13. OP
    OP
    jsmoove

jsmoove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    @3DJack Do you have an email address I could contact you at? Im looking to do colour, and my project isnt exactly what you'd call normal haha, but itd be straight forward to make em im sure. Also it depends on where you're located, as im in NZ

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.