APUG.ORG to PHOTRIO.COM Migration, Final Details.

Discussion in 'System Announcements' started by Sean, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nice straw man. We all understand why the new site inclusive of d***** was necessary and have said so, but the notion that the APUG identity somehow detracts from the site's potential success is groundless, and its an identity that analog-only users want to see retained for the analog-only part of the site. Nobody is suggesting we call the entire site APUG, only that the analog section retain that identity.

That's not surprising, since you aren't strictly an analog user and have long expressed your views that "its all the same thing" (more or less). Likewise I don't care what the digital or hybrid parts of the site are called...why would I?...as long as it isn't APUG. ;-)

2. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe in the top black stripe, the one with the tick marks, instead of:
    (tick box) Analog - (tick box) Hybdrid - (tick box) Digital

it could be

(tick box) Analog - (tick box) Hybdrid - (tick box) Digital ----- APUG - Hybridphoto - DPUG

When you tick "Analog" the APUG writing goes on (some form of emphasis, lighting, colour, whatever) the same for the other two.

That would retain an "APUG" identity for "apuggers" (or APUGers) and would more clearly retain the link of the analogue part of the site with its glorious past ...

3. Julie McLeod

Julie McLeod Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I wasn't in the room where it happened but Sean kindly laid a lot of this out for us in the first post of the thread. One of the things he said was:

"Initially, Photrio was envisioned as a host for three individual website entities APUG, HYBRIDPHOTO, DPUG. However, the more I tried to make this work, the more confusing the site layout became. Also, we do not want newcomers to be confused over previous brands and namings. Due to this, I decided the only viable option was to move away from the branding of past sites APUG, HYBRIDPHOTO, DPUG and use more generic terms instead: ANALOG, HYBRID, DIGITAL, thus making Photrio a venue for these photographic workflows. This keeps us from tripling up on existing forums."

I'm willing to accept that this is the solution that's most likely to offer success for Sean and a viable future for the site. Now I'll step back so that those who are more invested in the name APUG can debate.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi wayne
    you're right, i am comimg from there, and i can understand where you are coming from.
    i'd rather embrace similarities, and same-ness than embrace the differences.

diapositivo's suggestion is great !

5. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That sounds uncannily like a 1970s laundry detergent ad tagline. Which may not be the best way to remove the APUG reputation of clinging to the past for dear life ;-) ;-) ;-).

I'm unfussed about losing the name APUG. It's the people that make the place what it is, not the name.

6. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean and the others did and are doing a fantastic job. I have zero complaints. IMHO, they're being very logical and pragmatic regards to their actions. Additionally, again IMHO, they've been very patient with complainers, to whom they continue to cater when they can.

"A rose by any other name..."

'Hybrid' roses can be stunningly beautiful and robust, highly resistant to pest and disease attacks. This is especially true when onlookers treat the rose with the respect and care it deserves and needs. Or... we can chop it down or poison it with negativity.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    +1
    Again age and wisdom prevail. :D

8. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish I had thought of that, but I am only one of those, I guess. :D

PE

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Yes, you are!

10. OP
    OP
    Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.