APUG.ORG to PHOTRIO.COM Migration, Final Details.

Discussion in 'System Announcements' started by Sean, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm going to support Wayne in this - at least to a certain extent.
    I think that the forums - or at least the "analogue" ones - should prominently display something that identifies Photrio as being an evolution from APUG.
    I'd suggest something like "Built on the strong analogue foundation of APUG.ORG - but now much more!"

2. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I rather like that quote, Matt. Why not just have that replace the yellow logo that will eventually (I guess) be removed? The entire site is based upon APUG, having it only in the analog area rather defeats the purpose of the statement itself and I'm thinking rather difficult as the template probably doesn't allow for it?

In a nutshell, the site has evolved and the name change reflects this; whether the new site includes a nod to APUG or not, the wealth of information available is still enormous and increasing. If people are unwilling to accept the changes for what they are, (IMHO a wonderful opportunity to be inclusive of everyone interested in photography: A, H or D or all darn 3! :D) and set on harping on about the removal of a name for days on end, then they have lost sight of matters of real importance in the world today.

Sheesh! In the grand scheme of things, it's a "first world" problem - let's get over it and start making images the analog (or H or D) way to showcase what is happening in the world outside our windows, well away from a computer screen. :D

3. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    To be honest...and i am probably in The Big Minority.....i have Never liked the term "Analog Photography". I am not even sure, In the strictest terms of definition, what that means. I suppose at this point in time, it has become synonymous with film.?
    When people ask, i always say Film Photography or Traditional Photography. Why does that matter to me.?.....I am not 100% certain. If i had to guess, i would say that Until the advent of Digital Photography, there was no "Analog Photography".....nobody would have understood what you were saying or why you were saying it.....it was simply, Photography.
    I suppose (with me) it might be an Age/Snob/Pride thing.?
    MY hobby is Photography.
    Those guys over there, with the expensive, 15 month old cameras.?......THEY are Digital Photographers.
    I would Never Argue this with anybody...i only mention it here. No doubt, at this point, most all Professional and hobby photographers use a Digital Camera...Just the way it is. They take Awesome photos.
    I simply prefer learning the skills of traditional photography.....or is it Analog Photography.?:smile:
    Its is kind of funny...the same applies to audio.....Nobody Hears a digital recording, and nobody looks at a digital photograph.. It is only after they have been converted to some kind of Analog Conclusion that a person can see or hear a Digital photo or recording.:wink::wondering::smile:

4. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Can't get any more clearer than that interesting yellow logo at top left. It is what it is. What part are they banging on about??

The 'new look' to APUG (Photrio) is visually very appealing. The site navigates snappily around (but we do have 125mbps broadband, so it is normal for things to tick over in half the blink of an eye). The provision of freedom of choice of analogue, digital and hybrid under the one interactive umbrella is wise, sensible and timely in the present and future environment. There is no 'analogue only' world. We have many choices for photography now. We have been dragged out of an historical anachronism into the modern, forward-thinking era. Good. Very good. Sure, there will be a few loud trumpet blowers on the pithy path; let 'em blow off steam. There isn't much out there at for the loud and disapproving alt-cowhide hipsters to match the comprehensive depth and breadth of experience, both professional and amateur, that APUG/Photrio has accumulated over one roof over many years. Photo.net? Seriously, what a dog's puke they've made of that site. :mad:

Lovely font face too that is easy going on the eyes. :smile:

Do I use film? Yes I do. And I spend more on film/processing/print-scan than most could imagine.
    I like tearing the wrapping off... :heart:

2017-08-25 15.44.46.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I do not like the term analog very much, but I do not find the alternatives better in practice. I sometime use the term chemical photography.

But APUG has become a landmark. And I think I can speak for the diehard Apuggers, who at least want to see APUG back on the site once one disabled hybrid and digital modes on the site.

Also even then there still be some forums that will be shared in all modes. We shall see how this evolves if pure digital photographers should join DPUG.

6. Truzi

Truzi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I agree. I call it film photography (or just photography - using film), and have always disliked the "analog" moniker in general terms.

However, APUG was a community - and and identification/membership with an affinity group; I did like that very much.

I'll certainly miss APUG as it's own entity. Being thrust (shanghaied?) into a larger group that is less representative of me does feel a bit marginalizing - but I'm used to that sort of thing. There are plenty of places that I can be only 1/3 of.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:

+1

Analogue allows for more than film photography, for example tintypes.

8. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh for God's sake, just check only the analog box. Honestly, the sense of victimhood and whining is unbelievable. One wonders how you are able to cope with real problems in life. You are not even a subscriber, so you obviously don't even care enough of the site to support it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    @AgX @MattKing @Wayne I'm not opposed to some APUG visuals for those who want that. I can incorporate a few options in the user settings. Let me get through the bug list a bit and we'll keep those options on the table. Thanks

10. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FILM IS ANALOG... not digital. Why? If film was digital you'd need a computer or other digital translator to realize your work... in a non-hybrid workflow. If it can be done without 1's and 0's then it's ANALOG.

11. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    BTW......my post above was somewhat in Jest.....and just a Personal Observation about the way i look at "Modern Photography".
    I am COMPLETELY HAPPY with the new Forum Set-Up...i have No Complaints. It is no big deal to me that APUG needed to be merged with Digital Topics....it was necessary for survival.
    My interest is 97% Film, but having "easier" access to the digital stuff is fine with me, and it will no doubt benefit me as a Photography Beginner.
    If i need to know about scanners, or what affordable but still relevant Digital SLR i might get for my wife, and i can do THAT all in the "same" place.....and without causing a riot :smile:.....i see it as an improvement..
    My wife is a Vegetarian, but I eat Chicken ... "no" dairy or red meat ...but i DO eat a Pepperoni Pizza once a week. We coexist in the same house just fine...for 17 years now...she etas HER Photography and i eat MY Photography.....:happy::smile::D:wink:

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To reiterate - there are all sorts of interesting and useful and well respected and APUG consistent, non-film photographic things that aren't digital, and are based on chemical reactions to light - thus the desire to include more than simply "film" photography.
    And thanks Sean - but I would suggest that the APUG references be the default for the foreseeable future, so that those who arrive here from other places see the continuity.

13. Truzi

Truzi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Thanx for the laugh - that was quite refreshing.

For the record:
    The first thing I did was select only the Analog box.
    I had contributed to APUG's last server upgrade (before you had joined).
    Also, I had subscribed for two years, and my reasons for lapsing have been stated in other threads. Those reasons have nothing to do with the change to Photrio, or with people making comments like yours.

My comment was not meant as a personal attack upon you, and I apologize if voicing an opinion offended your sensitivities or crossed some low threshold of perturbation.
    Oh, and I cope quite well.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    if this attitude had prevailed, APUG never would have come into existence in the first place. In fact it's why APUG was created in the first place.

16. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You married each other voluntarily, i presume. This here menage a trois is a shotgun wedding.

17. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    People should refrain from making assumptions and judgments about the financial status and decisions of people they don't know. Its fine to generically encourage people to subscribe to support the site but to criticise specific people for not doing so oversteps the boundaries of propriety.

18. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the support but that's too vague. Just call it APUG for crying out loud. It remains to be seen if this new site is "now much more", and I think the strongest objections to that notion of it being 'more" would be found in the APUG section, so that's the last place I'd want to see it.

APUG. It worked for 15 years and it still works.

19. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe i am wrong, but i thought APUG Was Not "working" and that is Why the merger was necessary.

20. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    not sure why it matters what anyone calls it.
    it says apug in the upper corner ... and the site is called photrio
    where i live they call the red stuff
    that is put on pasta "gravy" and
    and others might refer to it as sauce ...
    not sure what the difference or problem is ...

21. Julie McLeod

Julie McLeod Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think that's exactly right. Sean said in the opening post here that APUG wasn't sustainable, specifically "our isolation is a poor long term solution for our survival." He also very frankly revealed some of his family's economic realities in order to help us understand the challenges he faces. Those who think APUG "still works" ought to go back and read his post.

22. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps people that don't support the site should refrain from whining about efforts to make it economically viable. Whining about something you don't support oversteps the bounds of propriety.

23. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    .....or start their own F'ing "Film Only Forum", and see how Cheap, Fun and Easy it is.....when you cannot even get members to fork over a paltry 20 F'ing dollars a year to help out.
    If you log onto 2guitars.com.....but you only play acoustic guitar.....simply ignore the section for electric guitars.:wondering:

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for hinting at this. (I did not read it as I did not expect these details under this thread title. And I also mixed up both migration threads.)

25. Julie McLeod

Julie McLeod Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You're welcome. It was easily missed in the aftermath of the changeover.

26. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You don't know how people support the site. You have no insight into people's past or future hardshipsor contributions. Your assumptions about subscribers are flawed. I'm a subscriber right now only because of the generosity of someone who gifted me a subscription out of the blue. I've always subscribed when I've been able to, even when times were hard but right now they're too hard. So go ahead and criticize me for being unable to contribute at the present time, because certainly you are a better person and more deserving than I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.