APUG.ORG to PHOTRIO.COM Migration, Final Details.

Discussion in 'System Announcements' started by Sean, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    this is great news !

2. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I bought a tee earlier this year to support AIDS/HIV research - cost me $30. I was happy to pay that (sadly, the shipping was a price gouge).
    For me, it's not so much the cost of the individual item/s it's how much I get slugged for postage - it's a worldwide problem and whilst I don't expect it to be free, I expect it to be fair

Case in point, I wanted to purchase a small Memorial Cross from the RBL in the UK (and make an additional donation) - cost to post such a small item was going to be GBP28!!! Suffice to say, they lost the sale and the extra donation.

3. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    And this says it all.

How often do we hear of businesses (big and small) shutting up shop because they took waaaaaaaay to long to adapt to their customer wants? (Could Kodak could be named in that "elite" group perhaps to a point.):whistling:

I'm amazed at how many digital/hybrid posts are popping up (yes I watch all 3 threads - I want to keep abreast of all things photographic) with information that I've been after for many years. And looking at some of these threads, I can see how dormant they've been until this migration - suddenly they are like rabbits, breeding responses left, right and centre!!

And amongst all these answers there are a lot of regular APUG users that I guess I didn't expect to be chiming in, yet they are giving advice freely AND asking questions.

The APUG product was great and met the needs of many analog only photographers out there, but it needed to adapt to the market climate. More and more people are switching to both analog & digital or just want to be able to discuss "Scanning to make a good image to post online" without being hounded to death, for asking such a "blasphemous" question.

If all members want, is to see analog uncheck the boxes at the top that say "hybrid" & "digital" - APUG is still there, it has just been rebranded to make it more welcoming to those people who aren't quite so enlightened to where photography came from, and that it's more than a selfie with an iPhone. If the name change is the *only* thing that is bugging members - might I suggest you all take a step back from the computer screen and have a look at what's happening in the world right now, to regain some perspective.:wink:

In the grand scheme of things, renaming a website, a brand, or a 5* hotel group is so low on the "world problems scale", they don't even rate a mention.

4. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $20-$25 wouldn't be excessive for a specialty shirt that's "cool".

Long ago, I think I paid that much for an "Island Hoppers" shirt (from Magnum P.I. television program). It's my most prized shirt.

5. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Crazy as it seems, you pay about $25 for regular Levis tees in Australia (and they aren't the greatest quality).

6. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I went to Grand Teton and Yellowstone this June and bought T-shirts ranging from $17 to $28. I bought a few National Park T-shirts through teespring.com after we got back and they were $25. I'd buy an APUG one or a Photrio one (maybe both).

If you're at all interested, I drew up a design I've never had printed that has outlines of different film types and says "Yes, I can still get film for this." If I knew how to screenprint, I'd do it myself, but I don't. You can use it if you want.

7. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This skirts all of my points though. I get all of that. Why was the APUG (brand) name and concept kicked to the curb? That could have been retained while everything else about the new site moved forward.

8. OP
    OP
    Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I addressed that in the other thread you posted in if you want to check there. Thanks

9. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd pay 25 bucks for one, for what it's worth! Are there places that let you sell shirts 'print on demand' these days, to save you needing to deal with stock or shipping?

(Ideally one which was worldwide & could print and dispatch from somewhere on the same continent at least as the purchaser, to keep shipping costs reasonable.) I'm gonna assume such businesses must exist and I'm feeling dumb for not knowing who they are...

10. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    YES.

11. OP
    OP
    Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Been setting one up already, got a bit tedious so put it off a few days until more bugs are squashed..

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    $20US to $25US and clearly state that it helps support Photrio.

13. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't see how retaining the APUG identity for the analog-only section could possibly detract from or interfere with the overall success of the new site. I think you are wrong about that. It feels like a betrayal and abaondonment of the (hard)core group and core values that started it all, especially because it seems so unnecessary and especially because its NOT the way you described it was going to be. Not at all.

It may be true that APUG wouldn't have survived without the other 2 sections but its also true that this site wouldn't even be here without APUG and it has been dissolved. I hope you will reconsider this and give analog-only users the option to remain the Analog Photography Users Group. It was a great idea 15 years ago, and it still is. Maybe even more so now.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this ship has sailed, Wayne.

16. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...and very seaworthy, ready for battle!! :D

17. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The ship sailed out of the train station and disappeared down the tracks.

18. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am NOT a "wealthy" person.....i was a painter. But my experience.?......People are CHEAP...!!
    On a $10,000.00 job, they will hire San Francisco's worst Paint Contractor, just because their price was $9,657.00.
    400 Stupid dollars...!!
    You could have had Rembrandt, but you hired his neighbor because he saved you 400 bux...??
    Anyway....... I say F those people. if the shirts need to be $32.50.....just say so.
    Good Luck to you and your new efforts here.

19. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    +1 (Elsa said it best . . . )

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I come across about 5 film photographers a year (many other here do even less). So who to advertise on?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  21. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Can I make a suggestion for a floating "TOP" link? I know there's one at the bottom of the page, but it is a little annoying when you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to go to the top. Not a dealbreaker, but a nice touch when you're halfway down a page.:wink:

22. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice idea. Though at least on a computer it just means pressing the cursur for a second at top of the scroll bar. Practically no difference to such special button.
    But I would not mind another button.

23. Truzi

Truzi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I just use the Home and End keys on the keyboard. I imagine a floater would help people with phones and tablets.

24. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First, The new site is exactly as Sean said it would be, so no deception there. Second, on my screen, it says APUG right there in the upper left corner. Third, If you select the Analog box only, the website will deliver you all the same content in the same format as before. Fourth, no one is forcing you to come here if you don't like it. Fifth, grow up.

25. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Actually it doesn't seem like you are. Just call the analog section APUG, let us keep our identifty/brand as the group that started it all and without which none of us would be here, and be done with it. I doubt that analog-only site users will object, and none of the hybrid or Digital only people will ever see it. And for crying out loud it isn't going to "confuse" anyone.

26. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Obviously that is part of an announcement, and likely all three designations are intended to vanish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.