WTB: power cord for Leitz 1c enlarger

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by chip j, Jan 5, 2017.

1. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be NEMA1 hybrid (male/female) cable. A plain extension cord.
    But to my understanding it would not fit into a NEMA5 wall socket...

2. OP
    OP
    chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, ORIGINAL! It's light gray, w/a reg. USA male plug on one end & a thinish USA female socket on the other, though that does have a mysterious long rectangualr slot in the middle. No one I know has the time or ability to take pics, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, generic cord won't fit, except maybe w/a lot of filing.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not quite understand.

You mean the Leitz built-in male connector will not accept the female coupling of a US generic 2-plug extension cord, but only that of the original Leitz cord?

5. OP
    OP
    chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, I tried a NEMA 1 & other US cords. The plug housings are too thick to fit into the Leitz slot.

6. ~andi

~andi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're probably looking for a old-style "Kaltgerätestecker" (direct translation: cold appliance plug)

Classified under IEC60320 as C9/C10 (cp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320)

The "connector" (C9/female) goes into the socket on the Ic, the other end has your domestic plug (male) that goes into your power outlet. Despite the wikipedia-entry, the connection is earthed with lugs on the outside of the plug and the socket being metal (maybe that's a non-standard addition).

Looks like the one on the right: http://666kb.com/i/c3655kvah0f7z5gpx.jpg

Some older Ic seem to have a connector like this (I have a Ic baseboard with one of of those). Later ones have the very common type C13/14 "computer power cable" connections. Early Ics do have the power cable directly connected to a terminal strip on the flip side of the baseboard.

Best,
    Andi

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good idea!

I totally forgot about that old-style connector. I know it from childhood days (and may even still got such cable in my stock).
    Likely that slit to take the protecting-earth springs is the one chip saw at his female plug.

BUT the problem is no longer existant anywy:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  8. ~andi

~andi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jep, read that he found the cord. I just posted this for posterity. Someone might have the same problem in the future and might find it helpful. Then again I might just be increasing the entropy of the universe :wink: (at least with this post I am).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sad thing is that with the amount of connectors ever made full wisdom likely never will be achieved...

10. bence8810

bence8810 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello there,

Sorry don't mean to thread-jack but I am having the same issue except on a IIc.

Please see photos of the socket.
    Any help would be much appreciated, I prefer keeping it original.

Thanks,
    Ben

P.S. see some photos

IMG_2411.JPG

The dimensions then roughly, don't have a better measuring device.

IMG_2412.JPG
    IMG_2413.JPG
    IMG_2414.JPG

11. OP
    OP
    chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try Kienzsle--they have parts for the 11c?

12. bence8810

bence8810 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So you mean it isn't the same connector as to what you have?

I was out looking for connectors here in Tokyo and I found something that could fir and even if it doesn't, I'll just have to make it a tiny bit smaller. Will update back here.
    Ben

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never came across this connector on a fleamarket, and the respective cable is ultra rare.

The most practical way seems to keep that connector fitted, but to disconnect it and fit at the underside a modern mains cable.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. bence8810

bence8810 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So just for me to understand, this isn't the same socket on my IIc as what the OP talked about on his Ic?

By the way I found a nice looking connector in Akihabara - the electronic district of Tokyo - and it looks like it might work. I am still at the office but once home, I'll give it a go.
    Plan B is that I've already contacted the person I bought it from, he had the cable as I saw it on photos shared with me prior to the purchase. I'll get that cable in the worst case. Really want to keep it as close to original as possible, have re-wired the entire thing already and it's ready to go!

Thanks again for the help,
    Ben

16. OP
    OP
    chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looks like you need a little wider plug than the 1c plug, otherwise they look very similar.

17. bence8810

bence8810 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello there,

Thanks Chip - good to know. For the reference of this thread and for other people's benefit, would you mind posting a photo of your socket and plug? It might help others as they stumble across this thread.

I purchased a plug that looked like it could work for me albeit a little too long so I chiseled it but the prongs were placed a bit closer to one another on the socket than how the holes were designed in the plug I got so it still didn't fit.
    I got in touch with the person who sold me the IIc and he will be sending me a power cord so I am ok.
    Meantime I replaced the socket with a regular IEC C13/14 plug that most PC's have in their power supplies. Surprisingly the holes in the new socket were exactly at the same place as the original so it went in like it was designed there. As a bonus it's also grounded so I can print safer :smile: Still, once the original cable arrives, I'll restore the unit to its former glory!

Sorry again for jacking the thread, hope the info might help some. Below a photo of the plug I got and chiseled (which didn't work) and then the new socket installed.

Ben

The two items I purchased yesterday - the plug that seemed to be close enough to the shape of the socket and the new IEC C13 socket.

Akiba5_plugs_1.jpg

As soon as i got home I tried to fit the plug but it didn't go so I took the chisel out and filed away a few mm's from both sides. It now could go through the opening of the socket but the different placement of the prongs prohibited it to go all the way in.

Akiba5_plugs_3.jpg

I then fitted the new IEC C13 socket in place of the original IEC C9 and it went right in - opening exactly matching as well as the placement of the two holes

Akiba5_plugs_5.jpg

And with the cable plugged in.

Akiba5_plugs_4.jpg

18. OP
    OP
    chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some previous posts here have a picture of my socket.

19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "cold appliances connector- 1st model"

(It is NOT a IEC C9, as that is unearthed.)

http://666kb.com/i/c3655kvah0f7z5gpx.jpg
    the right one in the photo

The IEC C13 is its successor, the 2nd model.

20. bence8810

bence8810 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry I went back but did not manage to find the photo you are referring to.

I believe your socket should be the same as what mine has as Leitz only had 2 socket types in the years of making focomats? C9 and C13?
    The C9 is a non-grounded socket with optional grounding. The photo shown below:

[​IMG]

I believe these go into the same socket. The one on the right has a grounding element which is done by simply touching the socket's wall which is metal.
    Chip - if yours isn't metal on the sides - it might indeed be a different variation. Would be nice to see an actual image of your socket.

Thanks,
    Ben

21. OP
    OP
    chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mine is like the gray one on right, minus the metal piece in the middle--only 2 prongs & that's it. My socket does not have metal sides.

22. bence8810

bence8810 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got it - if no photo I guess we are left to our imagination. I think it's the same size and shape (C9-ish) without the option to ground it. Very interesting.

Good day,
    Ben

23. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    that's the same as a simple appliance cord.You get that anywhere.

24. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If an ancient Focomar like mine, the simplest and safest solution is not that difficult: simply rewire enlarger with safer, modern wiring.

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then it would be a good idea to rewire the whole shebang for earthing. As I indicated above, one could even keep the original socket for the show.

26. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Meanwhile I had a look at my own connectors/cables collection
    From such plugs with identical hot contacts I got 3 versions concerning outer shape.