Why do FOMA papers cost more than ILFORD??

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

chip j

Shooter
35mm
And I don't think that Arista/EDU papers are the same as FOMA ones.

Anon Ymous

Shooter
35mm
Perhaps you should ask why Ilford products are so much cheaper in the USA compared to Europe.

sterioma

Shooter
Medium Format
Why do FOMA papers cost more than ILFORD??

No, they don't, at least in Europe. FOMA is actually way cheaper.
There is a world outside US, you know?

End of rant.

pentaxpete

Shooter
Multi Format
When searching for darkroom papers I saw on the Ag Photographic site 'FOMA' and other makes and they ARE more expensive ! The BEST price is 'Kentmere' which I used for many years when it was available only for 'Government Departments' and I worked as a photographer in the Ministry of Aviation and got introduced to Kentmere papers. They had their factory in the small village of Kentmere in the Lake District. In the 1960's i was invited to a factory tour. They had a 'festoon' method to dry the paper and it smelt strongly of 'Jeyes Fluid' in the huge room due to the preservative in the emulsion !

sterioma

Shooter
Medium Format
Fotoimpex.com is arguably one of the biggest online shops (physically located in Germany). Huge selection and very competitive prices.
I was buying from there when I was living in Italy and I continue to do so now from UK.

Random sample:
Cost of 100 packet 5x7 RC variable contrast paper: Ilford 27.96 EUR, Foma: 17,90 EUR.

AG photographic is in England, so maybe transport costs favour Ilford (or maybe it's something else). But it's not universally true that FOMA papers are more expensive.
My comment was more about making broad generalizations without providing context.

iakustov

Shooter
Multi Format
It depends on location and paper. Fomatone is usually in the same price range as Ilford / ADOX per my experience, other Foma paper are cheaper.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Well in my experience of U.K. retailers' prices, pentaxpete has got it right. Foma paper is more expensive for reasons that are beyond me. If we end up with a no deal Brexit then I can only see its price rising.

pentaxuser

sterioma

Shooter
Medium Format
All my usual online stores in Italy and Germany have sustantially cheaper prices for Foma (at least for the products I use), so apparently it varies by country and it's not an absolute truth.

I usually find it cheaper to buy stuff from Germany than from local online stores in UK (including Ilford film). But it may vary by product.

Rudeofus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Prices for Ilford and Foma products are all over the place, because they depend a lot on length of distribution chain between paper factory and you, the end customer. If you live in the "wrong" country, there is an extra layer of distributors, and prices will be high. I have witnessed this price difference happening even between EU members, where prices for Ilford products were different between countries for this very reason.

trendland

Shooter
Medium Format
Perhaps you should ask why Ilford products are so much cheaper in the USA compared to Europe.
I will answer : Because the US people can't spent more on Ilford stuff - they have not that amound of cash as it is normal in Europe....:tongue:!

Have a LOOK :

800px-Usdollar100front.jpg

this is the max. value on US cash:laugh:.....

this here is from trendland's new darkroom :outlaw: :

991391913-bargeld-2018-abgeschafft-Mo7p0qBexNG.jpg

But the highest pricing from Ilford portfolio is definitivly in Swizerland :

topelement.jpg

csm_1000noteadsf_9035608b56.jpg

:cool:.......!

with regards

PS : TODAY'S pricing isn't any longer in regard of actually cost's from manufacturing
(sure in regard of minimal pricing it is)...
It is ALLWAYS in regard of the market in different regions.

trendland

Shooter
Medium Format
All my usual online stores in Italy and Germany have sustantially cheaper prices for Foma (at least for the products I use), so apparently it varies by country and it's not an absolute truth.

I usually find it cheaper to buy stuff from Germany than from local online stores in UK (including Ilford film). But it may vary by product.

That you'll get problems in the UK is truism. Well you have Ilford - but what more do you have ?

with regards:wink:

PS :
uk-public-urged-to-recommend-scientist-for-new-50-pound-note.jpg

.....:whistling:........,:whistling:............,:D:laugh::D:D:laugh::laugh: !

trendland

Shooter
Medium Format

........ähmm ...I just remember : You have had your "Spitfire mk1 / mk2" - ok this matchpoint is back on your's ...:pinch::pinch:!

with regards:smile:

PS :

A01071B.jpg

:sick::sick:....

mnemosyne

Shooter
Multi Format
If you compare apples to apples (WT to WT and NT to NT paper) and not apples to oranges (WT to NT), the Foma paper is a good deal cheaper in continental Europe than the comparable Ilford offerings.

Ilford papers seem to be more affordable in the UK than in contintental Europe, so things might be different there.

However, even if you live in the UK, you have the possibility to order Foma paper at good prices and in great variety from Fotoimpex or even cheaper from Foma directly through their web shop.

I can only guess that the higher prices in the US are related to the distribution situation there.

David Allen

Shooter
Med. Format RF
Foma paper is significantly cheaper in Germany than in the UK or USA. Ilford paper is significantly dearer in Germany than in the UK or USA.

Buying direct from Foma is not necessarily cheaper. Buying from Germany it is slightly dearer than the price by FotoImpex or MacoDirect and I would prefer to support my local suppliers. However, for people in the UK you can save a minimum of £14 per box of 16 x 12 / 50 sheets.

Fotoimpex
FOMA Fomabrom Variant 111 - Naturglanz (Baryt) - 30x40 / 50 Blatt - Gradation: variabel = 85,00€ (£75.81) + 10€ (£8.92) postage to Britain or 35€ to USA

ILFORD Multigrade FB Classic 1K - Naturglanz (Baryt) - 30x40 / 50 Blatt - Gradation: variabel = 155,00€ (£138.25)

Silverprint UK
Fomabrom Variant 111 Gloss 12x16 50 Sheets = £99.23 (111.25€)

Ilford Multigrade FB Classic Gloss 12x16 Inch 50 Sheets = £105.06 (£117.81)

Freestylephoto USA
Ilford Multigrade Classic FB F1K Glossy 11x14/50 Sheets = $105.99 (£82.99 / 92.94€)

Fomabrom 111 Variant III VC FB Glossy 12x16/50 Sheets = $126.99 (£99.34 / 111.35€)

Direct from Foma
FOMABROM Variant 111 30,5x40,6/50 ks = 76.97€ (£68.64 / $87.77) + 12€ shipping to Germany or 18€ (£16.05) shipping to UK

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom