What's YOUR Monograph About?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by ReginaldSMith, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    These days you don't need to be renown photographer to publish a monograph. Blurb and many others in the P.O.D. industry will even give you a free ISBN. Upfront cost is nothing but your time. So, have you published one? Are you planning one? If you did, what's your subject matter? What's the idea behind your (real or imagined) coffee table sized monograph?

2. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    "Contact49" , 49 images within the 49 square miles of San Francisco. It's a handmade book with an 8"x8" fiber print included. I also have 50 9"x9" copies being printed by Edition One in Berkeley, which come with a 5"x5" fiber print. All 49 will be in a show at SFMoma Artist Gallery opening in a couple of weeks. It's all shot on film of course.

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's spectacular. As an ex-SF resident (Potrero Hill), I can just imagine how super that project would be. How long have you worked on the project? I wish you massive success with your MOMA show.

4. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Congratulations rory!!

5. Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just finishing a book called NO DOGS AND SENGHA GAIA...all taken in Los Angeles on Polaroid film

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    good luck rory and peter !
    ==

7. OP
    OP
    ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok, you got me hooked! I'm not sure I understand the title, but perhaps you can add a bit more? And how long have you worked on it? How many photos?

8. Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Rory can you give details about the printing
    I'm interested in contacting edition one

9. OP
    OP
    ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    BTW, I was only joking about "coffee table" size.

10. Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Reginald this is 2 separate themes in one book
    I took the pictures about 2 years ago but finally found a book editor to do the dirty work..i.e. layout and design...just have decide how and where it's being printed.
    Sengha gaia was a spiritual house I lived in for a moment..the grounds were rough but still a beautiful space..it is now gone
    No dogs were photos taken around Los Angeles...its basically a pun on the title because there are no dog pictures nor are there any bad ones either!!

11. OP
    OP
    ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. Great story. Let me ask you - did you find the layout part to be a stumbling block once you had the idea?

12. OP
    OP
    ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there a theme to these photos?

13. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/media/users/rorye.3586/ perhaps a visual hint about rorye's monograph?

rorye....have you photographed San Francisco's current iteration of downtown? Shocking ghastly architecture. Your Media photos are wonderful.

I photographed much of South Of Market in the 70s, while it was still full of machine shops, printers, photo and graphic studios. Kodachrome and (sadly) Verichrome. Was shooting owners of SOM businesses that still existed and had existed before 1906.

The Verichrome printed beautifully but the negs self destructed within a couple of years. VPS, the original C41, was terrible that way, compared to the old CPS. Clear sign that Kodak was on the way out.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've had one going for awhile. Entropy is a working title. Just decaying/decayed subjects. Human and otherwise. B&W.

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    So, have you published one?
    No​
    Are you planning one?
    No, but I have written a book. Have you?​

If you did, what's your subject matter?

What's the idea behind your (real or imagined) coffee table sized monograph?

17. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks so much Reginald!
    I've been working on the book intentionally for 4 years but some of the images date as far back as 1989, when I first moved to SF.

Peter Edition One seem to be pretty good, the second round of proofs were far better than the first. I think because I'm only doing 50 books my project is not too high on their priority list, I understand that. However, it's very high on mine. Their pricing is pretty clearly laid out on their site www.editionone.com . I'd be happy to discuss more with you by phone or email, are you in SF sometime soon?

18. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dead Link Removed not editionone.com

There are at least four decision points when considering photo books.

One point involves actual photo prints, tipped into blank (or text) pages that are then bound together, perhaps classically (i.e. sewn). That might make a lot of sense for small printing runs and would put the photographer into the driver's seat photo-quality-wise. That appeals to me...I'd like to learn some bookbinding and see no reason for a dozen or so books to be printed by somebody else.

However time is money for some folks.

Another point involves outside vendors.

Another point, which I'm addressing right now, involves thumb drives...which have the advantage of unlimited size, high quality, ultra-inexpensive, and the easiest possible distribution to as many people as desired.

Another point is the kind of book you order online...over which you have no control...roll of dice, which may not be critical.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  19. OP
    OP
    ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    With respect to prose, does your project depend at all on writing beyond say, titles or names of photographs? Do you explain or describe the photographs? Is there a substantial written narrative that is part of the project?

20. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just finished up a book that is a collaboration with a poet, 40 photos illustrating 40 poems, called "The Purpose of Things." Not quite coffee-table size, but we have a publisher and hope to see it published for the holidays.

21. OP
    OP
    ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Congrats! That's fantastic. Which came first, the photos or the poems?

22. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The poet had written the poems. I found out about the project and offered to shoot photos to illustrate each concept.

23. OP
    OP
    ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    When it's available I hope you post about it. It sounds very interesting.

A while back I began collecting a certain kind of vernacular photos from the 1970s. After spending time looking at them, I have an idea to write very short stories about each photo, as though the photo had come after the story, or had been taken to illustrate the story. Almost a reverse of your project.

24. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Vernacular project sounds like fun!

The Russian family photos I bought in a flea market decades ago almost make a coherent story. That's centered on a family's experience, from Tsarist and Soviet times until the fifties in San Francisco...but only "almost." So I imagine myself sitting down to using those photos to illustrate a coherent invention .

25. Saganich

Saganich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  26. OP
    OP
    ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.