What's your latest new old camera ? (Part 2)

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by David A. Goldfarb, Apr 30, 2015.

1. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I don't follow. Why is a Nikon F with plain prism and a pre-AI 50/1.4 an incongruous pair? The differing amounts of wear? It sounds like they were made for each other to me. I have the same exact combination -- my F is an early one with a 64xxxxx serial number, but I still think they go together quite naturally. Oh, I suppose some might quibble that my lens should be a 5cm instead of a 50mm, but I pretty much ignore this sort of thing.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. otto.f

otto.f Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My latest is the Tele Rolleiflex 4/135mm Planar. I bought separately the Rolleinar 0.35 and 0.70 for it and just finished for first films with it.

3. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that was it. Well, I'll put the mint lens on my chrome F which is in great shape and use a more appropriately aged appearing lens for the well-used black F. Petty, I know.

Here is the mint 50/1.4 lens. I see no signs of use anywhere. It doesn't have the JCII sticker, so I assume the original owner removed it. I see no residue from it. Glass is clear. Aperture blades operate quickly. Focus ring is properly damped. Looks like it came out of the Nikon factory yesterday.

IMAG9379-1.jpg

4. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Olympus OM-1n purchased cheaply because the body had rotting foam and a broken door latch, while the lens had a lot of fungus. I'd say it cleaned up pretty well.
    [​IMG]

Canon F1 also arrived grimy and with rotting foam, but the seller included a couple of free, fixer-upper lenses including this 50/1.8. Lens had been disassembled and put back together wrong. It took me awhile to figure out, but I got it in the end.
    [​IMG]

Never thought I'd score a Nikon SP cheaply! But the rangefinder patch is kind of dim. Lens was also bargain-priced because it's lightly fogged. I'll take a look inside later on, but for now I guess there's no reason I can't simply use it as-is. Cloth shutter curtain looks almost new.
    [​IMG]

Acquired this Pentax P30T for a song because it wasn't firing. The 40/2.8 was a bit pricier but still "as-is" priced. Lens barrel was filthy, but under the grime it was decent. Camera body looked only lightly used but stored in less than ideal conditions - lubricants had dried out, while lens mount was green with corrosion. Disassembled, cleaned, polished and relubed.
    [​IMG]

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What does "fixer-upper" mean?
    To be yet repaired?

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why is that picture so grainy?

7. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes that's it.

8. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Image is from my old steam-powered phone; I set it at only 3MP to avoid uploading restrictions.

The only internet connection I have is with my phone :smile:

9. colin wells

colin wells Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agfa Super Solinette .Its my first foray into the world of folding cameras and it looks a good one .Everything works it was bought from a jumble sale for £1

10. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Dennis-B

Dennis-B Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been watching an Olympus OM-2n at a local dealer (auction on eBay). It's been out there for a couple of weeks, but no takers. I've only used a Pen FT in the late 60's, and I've never really had the desire for an Olympus. However, this kit had the body, which is nearly spotless, and a spotless 50mm f/1.8 lens. I couldn't let is sit another day, so I pulled the "Buy It Now" trigger and picked it up.

It's a very petite camera, akin to my Pentax Super Program, or Program A. It's going to take a bit of "heads up" to remember that the shutter speed dial is like the old Nikkormat Fx cameras. The fit and finish is outstanding, and I'm looking forward to a bit of "normal" photography with the 50mm lens.

12. StanMac

StanMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @4season ... You must be VERY selective in what you buy on the used market. I've acquired several very good looking film SLRs that no matter what I did couldn't be cleaned to that level of perfection - those examples look new out of the box! I love that P30T!

Stan

13. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks Stan!

Actually, here are a couple of examples of how stuff appeared in the original sale ads:

40/2.8 Pentax lens:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/263416601782

Canon F1:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/253276736730

Save your old toothbrushes! They are one of the best camera-detailing tools around. You would not believe how much crud comes off some camera bodies and lens barrels! Toothbrush combined with a drop or two of naphtha or sometimes even a little soapy water can work wonders, just use it sparingly so that liquids don't seep into the camera's innards. Other useful stuff includes cotton swabs, microfiber terry cloths, popsicle sticks (sharpened into handy groove-cleaning tools), Nevr-Dull polishing fluff and so on.

Just took delivery of this Pen-F recently. Great condition as received but even so it benefitted quite a bit from a little detailing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Kodachromeguy

Kodachromeguy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What an elegant and precision-machinery-looking camera. It really is gorgeous. Presently, most of the industry has descended into bulbous, plastic-sheathed, electronic-filled things. There are exceptions, such as the Fuji, Olympus, and Leica digital cameras, but most other brands don't exude that precision mechanical feel to me. I realize they are full of miniature circuit boards and little plastic cams and linkages, but I still prefer the old-school watch-maker aesthetic. Even the modest Olympus Trip 35 looks like a carefully-crafted little device. But now you have embarrassed me into cleaning and detailing my cameras and lenses :cry: _DSF5093_OlympusTrip35_20180120_resize.jpg

16. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    :wink:

17. filmamigo

filmamigo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just received a pair of cameras that I absolutely love. They are the definition of modern classics, a trick that Fuji picked up a bit later for the digital X series.

One is a Pentax MZ-3 in black, the other is a silver Pentax MZ-5n. They are near identical: both tiny, plastic bodied, autofocus SLRs. Their magic is in having proper control dials -- shutter speed up top, and aperture on the lens. The MZ-3 is a bit of a rarity - a Japan only model, that added 1/4000 shutter (and lost the 2 second setting in the bargain.)

The MZ series have a well-earned reputation for a plastic cog driving the mirror mechanism that is prone to failure. At this point in the MZ series lifespan, it seems most have failed. This is reflected in the plummeting prices of these cameras. The MZ-5n was a desirable model that previously held a premium value compared to many AF slrs, and the MZ-3 had a premium of hundreds of dollars MORE than the MZ-5n due to its rarity. This pair I snagged for $50 each. Still a bit of a premium over the junker-pricing seen on the rest of the MZ line, but many hundreds less than they were worth five years ago. These cameras currently work perfectly ... but I'm realistic. In preparation for an eventual repair, I custom ordered replacement brass gears. Plus I can always hope that their original owners already had them repaired :smile:
    MZ_4811_small.jpg MZ_4817_small.jpg

18. P.johnson14

P.johnson14 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    IMG_0313.JPG Retina IIIc.

Damn near perfect, other than shutter speeds. Even the meter still works. Sticker inside says it was last serviced June 1962. I'm going to run a roll of HP5 through it, and then send it in for service.