what waS your last photography related purchase?

Little People

A
Little People

Marseille-9.jpg

A
Marseille-9.jpg

Marseille-16.jpg

A
Marseille-16.jpg

Marseille-6.jpg

A
Marseille-6.jpg

Marseille-5.jpg

A
Marseille-5.jpg

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmurthy2
Recent bookmarks

moggi1964

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
A couple of plate holders for my MPP VII so I can try out some old plates and see if they still capture an image.

Attachments

• 20221113_122326.jpg
    20221113_122326.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221113_122335.jpg
    20221113_122335.jpg
    851.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221113_122332.jpg
    20221113_122332.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
A couple of plate holders for my MPP VII so I can try out some old plates and see if they still capture an image.

Good chance those plates will still work. And with plate holders in hand, you can also buy fresh plates from J. Lane (our user Nodda Duma) or Zebra.

moggi1964

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
Good chance those plates will still work. And with plate holders in hand, you can also buy fresh plates from J. Lane (our user Nodda Duma) or Zebra.

Fingers crossed. I don't know their history so they could have been cared for or left in an attic. I have looked at the J. Lane plates but have yet to work out if I could coat my own at a cost that would make the possible screw-ups economical 😁

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
have yet to work out if I could coat my own at a cost that would make the possible screw-ups economical 😁

Then there's also the question how many batches it would take to produce an acceptable ISO 25 ortho emulsion (could you add ortho sensitizing dyes to a commercially available liquid emulsion, to ease the job?). At least J. Lane plates have a proven emulsion and are coated by someone who knows what he's doing.

moggi1964

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
Then there's also the question how many batches it would take to produce an acceptable ISO 25 ortho emulsion (could you add ortho sensitizing dyes to a commercially available liquid emulsion, to ease the job?). At least J. Lane plates have a proven emulsion and are coated by someone who knows what he's doing.

I did have a look at something like Liquid Light with a gelatin pre-coat on the glass. Haven't explored it fully and if I get lazy I'll just head down the pre-made and reliable emulsions from J. Lane or Zebra. I need to get the darkroom back up and usable first - house move means the 'darkroom' is a storage room currently. 😟

Andrew O'Neill

Shooter
Multi Format
Just picked up two, 500ml bottles of Ilfosol-3 for my students. They had to help me up off the floor after I saw the price. $18 Canadian each! With taxes, $40. I'm seriously going to look into mixing from scratch, D-23 because we can dilute it to 1+3, or maybe caffenol 😁

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
@Andrew O'Neill If you have access to sodium hydroxide (lye drain cleaner, likely found at supermarkets or home improvement stores) you might also try mixing Parodinal. Given a cheap source of acetaminophen it can be the cheapest one-shot developer you'll ever see (like a nickel a roll for developer only).

Andrew O'Neill

Shooter
Multi Format
@Andrew O'Neill If you have access to sodium hydroxide (lye drain cleaner, likely found at supermarkets or home improvement stores) you might also try mixing Parodinal. Given a cheap source of acetaminophen it can be the cheapest one-shot developer you'll ever see (like a nickel a roll for developer only).

The school would go ballistic if I had sodium hydroxide at school 😉

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I bought a box of Ilford R.10 9x12cm Plates, Special Rapid Panchromatic 50ASA. While I've bought them for focus screens for 9x12 cameras I might as well try using them first :D

Ian

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The school would go ballistic if I had sodium hydroxide at school 😉

Well, but what if you bring in already-mixed developer equivalent to a commercial product? If they're okay with R09 or one of the other Rodinal work-alikes...

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Okay, after hauling my RB67 kit and my old Porter Cable surveying tripod half a mile downhill, then the same (twice as long) half mile back up to the parking lot on Saturday, today I ordered a lightweight carbon fiber tripod. Even on eBay, Manfrotto and Velbon were out of reach; I wound up with a generic Chinese one, but it has plenty of payload capacity for my RB67 kit or Graphic View II, and can mount the camera underneath as well as on top. Comes with a quick release and I'm pretty sure I can duplicate the plates on my 3D printer so I don't have to swap the one plate between cameras.

Can't make the RB67 any lighter, but this tripod weighs less than a third what the other one does, and can be strapped to my Gitzo backpack so all the weight is on my shoulders and hips.

Andrew O'Neill

Shooter
Multi Format
Well, but what if you bring in already-mixed developer equivalent to a commercial product? If they're okay with R09 or one of the other Rodinal work-alikes...

I thought about bringing in a couple bottles of Blazinal (which seems to be the Canadian version of R09), it's the same price as Ilfosol-3...but at least way less of the stock is required with the Blazinal. So that is an option. Thanks, Donald.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I thought about bringing in a couple bottles of Blazinal (which seems to be the Canadian version of R09), it's the same price as Ilfosol-3...but at least way less of the stock is required with the Blazinal. So that is an option. Thanks, Donald.

You're welcome -- Rodinal etc. are very versatile. Dilution from 1+24 to 1+99 (some go higher) agitation from 30 second cycles to full stand, and despite being a "speed losing" developer, I used to agitate every 3rd minute and extend development to get normal contrast, and wind up with a small speed gain. Pretty good for as cheap as it is to use...

Andrew O'Neill

Shooter
Multi Format
You're welcome -- Rodinal etc. are very versatile. Dilution from 1+24 to 1+99 (some go higher) agitation from 30 second cycles to full stand, and despite being a "speed losing" developer, I used to agitate every 3rd minute and extend development to get normal contrast, and wind up with a small speed gain. Pretty good for as cheap as it is to use...

Heck, we could even use it at 1+100! Big savings there!

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Or ID-11 - $21.50 from Amplis or $17.65 from Beau - to make 5 litres of stock.
Yes you would need to mix it up for them.
By the way, Blazinal is the R09 version of Rodinal.

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
1)
A very nice Hasselblad 500mm Tele Tessar T* for $75 which has very clean optics, from what I've seen, and a working shutter.

The 'catch' is, the rear section, lens mount tube, which seems to be in good condition, lacks it's innards, and I need to install a camera/lens mounting plate before use.

I actually need to find the sematics for this lens section, including coupling data/drawings to see if it's just a matter of replacing the missing lens mount with one from another 'V' lens.

This lens appears very well maintained and I'm very happy with what I've received, as I believe it's a easy repair, giving me a "bucket list" camera item for landscapes and wildlife, mostly birds.

2)
The leather case for the above lens, as soon as I send the payment, though it lacks a strap.

It also appears in very good condition and I'm glad I'll no have to add another storage box to my rolling cart for a dedicated storage solution.

Mr Flibble

Shooter
35mm RF
Picked up a Periflex and 2 lenses recently. Relatively cheap as the shutter had issues.
A couple of hours of cleaning and adjustment it's ready to go again.

Periflex04.jpg

Periflex I (late model),
50mm f/3.5 Lumar-X
100mm f/4 Lumar

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
A set of borosilicate beakers for hot mixing glycol (and maybe TEA) based developers. Still need to get a bucket that will take near-boiling water and is big enough to accommodate my sous vide and come up with a rack to support a beaker in the water...

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
A set of borosilicate beakers for hot mixing glycol (and maybe TEA) based developers. Still need to get a bucket that will take near-boiling water and is big enough to accommodate my sous vide and come up with a rack to support a beaker in the water...

How about a hard sided cooler instead?

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
How about a hard sided cooler instead?

Too thick for the sous vide to clip onto, and I'd expect the plastic to soften when the water gets above about 80 C (maybe not even that hot). My local Tractor Supply has galvanized buckets at reasonable prices, I think.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
1)
A very nice Hasselblad 500mm Tele Tessar T* for $75 which has very clean optics, from what I've seen, and a working shutter.

The 'catch' is, the rear section, lens mount tube, which seems to be in good condition, lacks it's innards, and I need to install a camera/lens mounting plate before use.

I actually need to find the sematics for this lens section, including coupling data/drawings to see if it's just a matter of replacing the missing lens mount with one from another 'V' lens.

This lens appears very well maintained and I'm very happy with what I've received, as I believe it's a easy repair, giving me a "bucket list" camera item for landscapes and wildlife, mostly birds.

2)
The leather case for the above lens, as soon as I send the payment, though it lacks a strap.

It also appears in very good condition and I'm glad I'll no have to add another storage box to my rolling cart for a dedicated storage solution.

I bought a 500mm yellow Hasselblad lens case in good condition, almost great condition, but the lens case strap was very weak. I took it to a shoe repairman to who had to disassemble to case in order to change to strap and he was able to color and textural match the case. It costs almost what I paid for the case but it was well worth it. There are generic strap on tripod mounts that may solve your problem.

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I bought a 500mm yellow Hasselblad lens case in good condition, almost great condition, but the lens case strap was very weak. I took it to a shoe repairman to who had to disassemble to case in order to change to strap and he was able to color and textural match the case. It costs almost what I paid for the case but it was well worth it. There are generic strap on tripod mounts that may solve your problem.

Thanks for the tip, Sirius.

There used to be an old fashioned luggage repair shop no too far from here, but tony shops and restaurants have displaced it from that street, so I must look elsewhere.

I have a medium sized full grain veggie tanned cowhide above my work bench and the hope to make a new strap, if needed.

These are nice pieces of leather and I wonder what the 'today cost' for equal quality work would sell for?

I do no believe you or I could buy one new made without going to a bespoken maker in a saddle shop, these days.

Cheers

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Too thick for the sous vide to clip onto, and I'd expect the plastic to soften when the water gets above about 80 C (maybe not even that hot). My local Tractor Supply has galvanized buckets at reasonable prices, I think.

Home Depot has large stainless steel fish-fry - Turkey frier stock pot style pots on hand, though Thanksgiving is almost upon us, and you do no need galvanized material in your mixer/hot pot.

Wait until a few weeks after Turkey Day and you might find a once used lidded pot on Freecycle, or Craig's list.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Wait until a few weeks after Turkey Day

That doesn't help me for actually getting my chemicals mixed when I have four days off in a row, though. Hadn't thought about Big Box stores, and was thinking galvanized because stainless usually costs less -- but stainless would be better, if the price is close.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom