What is it that makes a person photogenic?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by cliveh, Dec 17, 2011.

1. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, indeed... that was a confounding variable!

2. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All the better to argue it's purely subjective, m'dear.

3. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, you know what they say about statistics and statisticians. I'm not sure what anyone says about geometry, though.

4. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Matt may be on to something...

5. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Photogenic" is culturally determined. If a portrait subject can be used to turn out face pictures like the ones in the popular "beautiful people" magazines then they are photogenic. If we lived in the Sara, Lobi, or Surma tribes the women with the biggest lip-discs would be the most photogenic!

6. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    They might ask the question: 'hey, I've got a bigger lip disc than her but she looks better on film, what gives?'... :whistling:

7. Hikari

Hikari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What makes a person photogenic? A good photographer and a beauty dish.

8. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For this kind of thing, I generally check I with the mirror... :laugh:

...to see if anyone suitable is standing behind me.

9. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    attitude

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i don't know what makes a person photogenic, but i know there are ways
    of photographing someone to show them in a flattering pose.

everyone has a "good side" ... that combined with camera tilt, and lighting, and careful retouching ...

11. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Symmetry and slightly exaggerated facial features such a bone structure, lip shape, orbital lobes, brow shape, chin and jaw line shape. Expression and projection of feeling. even and smooth tones.

Certain aspects of beauty are universal to the human condition, an air of health and strong traits for fertility. Objects such a Venus figurines have been found in archaeological sites all over the world, from all different cultures.

But, culture can also dictate the norms of those peoples, and what is culturally accepted or taboo in relation to beauty. The more restricted the culture the more narrow the window, the more open and mixed a culture is the more forms present of accepted beauty.

A widely known phenomenon from more recent history is the practice of tanning. Prior to the 50's a very light and fair complexion was considered beautiful, the social change of the more affluent class to tan and darken the complexion went contrary to this, but the reflected image of having enough disposable income, to go on vacation and out to beaches to tan, changed the societal norms. Tanning no longer just indicated a worker in the sun all day, but a person of leisure and wealth too. This was also in part of the relaxing of social norms for the style of clothing worn in that period to allow tanning.

12. blansky

blansky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is, and has always been an unknown quantity.

Some people just glow and others don't, no matter how "beautiful" they are.

Some people hit a sweet spot in the viewers mind and others don't.

That's why in Hollywood and in print, they always do test shots and screen tests.

Some people just have that illusive, undefinable quality that the camera loves.

Magic is magic.

It's what makes life.....well, .....magical.

Besides the word "photogenic" is too mundane a word to describe this magic.

It's a word like pleasant. Has no impact or emotion behind it.

13. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice full hooters, slim waist, long legs. Cut the head off when cropping. There you have it :tongue::smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oy veh.

16. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to many anthropologists we are attracted to someone with symmetrical features for a mate. This is why someone who looks like Alfred E. Neuman doesn't get picked. Many animals, and I suspect humans too, have an aversion to a species member who looks different, who differs from the norm. So I would say that symmetrical features play a large role in who is thought of as photogenic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
  17. macrorie

macrorie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There should be a wide variety of opinions on this question, and that seems to be true here. To me, "photogenic" isn't synonymous with "beautiful". There are people who definitely don't conform to a culture's norms of beauty who are easy to photograph so that a striking image - in one way or another - is more often the result. I think the comment above on "attitude" reflects this, and one important detail is the way the eyes and/or body language communicate emotion to the viewer.

18. kerrpanda

kerrpanda Subscriber

Agree with the dismissive replies. I do not know the true answer, but I, too, have often heard it had to do with symmetry (of course, an attractive symmetry) of features. A lot of people have one side of the face very different from the other side, and when observed from different points may or may not look attractive. Those I guess are the ones who" can't take a bad photo". Anthropologically speaking, symmetry, along with balance and coordination, produce subliminal clues that that person just might make a good breeding partner. So I guess having that person in your photographs guarantees interest?
    Happy Holidays!

19. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know some interesting guys, I'll give you that!

20. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    In the words of Peter Britt, photographer, in Southern Oregon in the 1800's (in reply to a complaint):

"Madam, if you wish a photograph of a beautiful face, you shall have to bring one."

Vaughn

21. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    "She had a face that looked like a bag of spanners" :laugh::laugh:

22. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    doubt it .it'ds the same as with charme you'lllose it the second youthought you hsd it !

23. Paul VanAudenhove

Paul VanAudenhove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think this is a good question, even though it does not lend itself to an easy answer.

In broad terms, it may be easier to answer/quantify as some of the posters have indicated. Things like shape, symmetry or bone structure are fairly simple to pick out as common attributes from a selection of portraits that we agree are 'photogenic.' But I believe that breaks down when we get to the specifics of an individual person.

As far as any individual is concerned, I agree with those who have said it comes from within the person. Whether you call it attitude or honesty, it is an elusive quality that some people just have.

It may instead reflect back on the viewer, and what they consider to be more representative of reality. From my own observations, I consider models to be generally at the upper end of the pretty/beautiful scale - but ultimately uninteresting. When I look at portraits by Shelby Lee Adams, I find the people may be lower on the pretty/beautiful scale, but they look far more interesting to me. (And by interesting, I mean people who have no pretension about who they are, and people that I would like to know.)

24. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    If you want to know if a person is photogenic you photograph them, it's the only way, that's why the movie industry have screen tests.

25. tnp651

tnp651 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Most people are frightened to be photographed but some (usually beautiful but not always) are more willing to let themselves be recorded. Also, photogenic people wear their emotions on their faces. The inner spirit comes through. A good portraitist can calm that fear and evoke those emotional expressions. I'm not very good at it but I keep trying.

26. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IDK
    ive friends who are "beautiful" or at least some of
    the most beautiful people i have ever met. but the lens
    isn't kind ... personally i think it is the lack of skill of the operator ...
    there are people that can make a scab look like a work or art
    and a "homely" person look like a god or goddess ...
    maybe michael is right the camera-iikes/dislikes
    and it has nothing to do with skill ( Or Effort ? )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.