1. Current PHOTRIO advertisers: Click Here For Current Advertisers List

What do you think is the most under-rated film available today?

Discussion in 'PHOTRIO Advertisers Forum' started by NortheastPhotographic, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Old_Dick

Old_Dick Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sirius
    +1

2. Old_Dick

Old_Dick Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. OP
    OP
    NortheastPhotographic

NortheastPhotographic Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's amazing to me that Kodak killed Plus-X. Why don't they just package Super-XX in 35mm?

4. Pentode

Pentode Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really, really miss Plus-X. I, too, have trouble believing they discontinued it.
    Apparently not everyone felt about it the way I did, though, if sales were soft enough to kill it off. Too bad.

I don't know if underrated is really quite the right word here, but I think Orwo films might enjoy a lot more appreciation if they were more available. Really nice stuff, but it's so hard to get a hold of!

5. LeftCoastKid

LeftCoastKid Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no idea whether its sales volumes agree, but I, like Matt King, would suggest that Ilford's FP4+ is seriously underrated (and underappreciated?). For years, it's been a personal favorite: great for portraits, and hands down, second only to PanF+, for my landscape and nature work.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  6. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It's plausible that the Lomo Color Negative (100, 400, 800) is Kodacolor. Gold or an older generation? Don't know.
    Tried the 100 on 120 and it was quite pleasant.

7. miha

miha Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Polaroid

8. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Plus-X and Panatomic-X were dropped because Kodak claimed T-Max 100 would replace both of them. I really miss Panatomic (although I have some frozen) for the tonality, but Plus-X (even though I used a lot of it in school because it came cheap in bulk) never did much for me and I prefer T-max.

9. Vw1302

Vw1302 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fomapan 100 in Pyrocat HD...

10. trendland

trendland Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The basic idea of Ilford to bring out XP1 was the following : BW films have a need of simple bw developing. Comercial labs are using c41 most (>90%) this was no other issue in the beginning 80th may be c41 was at 87% rate to that time.
    To print bw from comercial labs was no problem but it began to come to a smal niche end of the 70th.
    So the pricing of bw increases more and more. (prints and developements).
    A form of self-reinforcing process began.
    Smal volume caused higher pricing/higher prices caused less volume.
    Ilford braked this roule and it braked the upcoming smaler demand of bw printing from amateuric photographers with remaining ambitions in bw - but without darkroom.
    We shall not believe this - but it was the reality (caused from the mass) : Millions of bw shooters did not own a darkroom.
    The campaign to introduce XP1 was a real smart one from Ilford.
    Because Ilford offered a simple c41 kit as a complete set with XP1.
    This made XP1 very popular. Many traditional bw shooters with own darkroom loved this set and c41 was simple done with excellent Ilford operation manual included.
    But the genius conception behind was to shot bw with c41 film - cheap and fast developement made from mini labs and print onto color paper.
    The labs task was no problem : They had to filter color prints most neutral.
    The result was in 2 ways :
    - bw prints with a smal blue/black cast
    - bw prints with a smal brownish/old school cast.
    The cast allways differed a little and it was not possible to reorder with the 100% same enjoyable cast.
    By the was - todays workflow is a real
    catastrophe from most labs.
    Last c41/bw years ago (no Ilford - remember minolta/konica film) was in an extreme piggy pink cast...????
    The lab was unable to filter the prints better - I reclaimed immediately this piggy pink stuff and never saw the film again. ..:cry::cry: the film is missing since then. Simple reason - most labs lose the competance meanwhile.
    Later XP2 was introduced as improved emulsion with better characteristics and little smaler grain.
    Today it is a beloved scanning favourite
    film to many people.
    At last you are right XP2 is one of some remaining films wich is indeed underated.
    The conception to c41 labs with prints onto color paper is lost - but (caused from scanning) XP2 has a complete new task : The film has remarcable fine grain/nice tonals and is competitive against real bw film champions as there are Hp5 / Delta 400 / Tmax 400.
    XP2 don't have to hide behind.

with regards

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would point out that films are rarely removed from sale because of quality. They are removed because they either aren't selling enough, or because their production is problematic (e.g. Kodak HIE).

12. OP
    OP
    NortheastPhotographic

NortheastPhotographic Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you seen Jason Lee's instagram account? He seems to have a pretty big stash of Panatomic upon which he intends to shoot his next project.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.