What do you think is the most under-rated film available today?

Discussion in 'PHOTRIO Advertisers Forum' started by NortheastPhotographic, Jan 24, 2018.

1. NortheastPhotographic

NortheastPhotographic Advertiser

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi!

I'm starting a series of film reviews, with the aim of putting out information on things that most film shooters may not have tried yet, or may have overlooked. One of the key components of these reviews, is how they relate to the hybrid film-scan workflow, and how that fundamentally changes some of the dogmatic ideas about certain films.

The first review that I'm working on now, is on one of my favorites that I just don't see enough of coming through the lab. That would be Ilford XP2 Super! I love this stock for it's versatility, ease of use, and aesthetic qualities. A lot of my clients never print their work in the darkroom, but still use traditional films like Tri-X or HP5. For the purposes of shooting to scan, XP2 has many advantages.

So please, let us know what you think is an extremely under utilized stock, and why! Aside from XP2 Super, I think Delta 100 & 400 are very underappreciated films. In my testing they scan and print fantastically well, but I think most people reach for traditional grain films first. So that's 2 I've started us off with!

Thanks!
    -Mark from Northeast Photographic

P.S. None of these reviews are going to be about "better or worse", but more just how one should think about a stock and how to use it. I don't think XP2 is better than traditional films, or worse. I am merely illuminating it's advantages in the context of the scanning workflow!

2. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think Rollei IR is underrated as a 400 speed B&W film. It's what I use in my 4x5 instead of buying TMY (TMX is my preferred B&W film for 4x5, but sometimes I need more speed). The fact that it doubles as IR film and is relatively cheap make it even more attractive. Though there are some additional issues with processing and handling IR film that must be considered, which gives it some drawbacks over standard B&W film.

3. SilverShutter

SilverShutter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agreed, XP2 is a fantastic black and white film even if its not traditional black and white. The tonality is ideal for the kind of shooting I do.
    Lomography 400CN is another one for the list, I think it's some Kodak emulsion, either Ultramax or VR 400, in any case a film with some bit of contrast and very nicely saturated colours. The only side I didn't enjoy of it is when shooting under tungsten it makes everything looks an ugly yellow tone.

4. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    XP2 is underappreciated because it is a C-41 process. I'd wager most BW photographers do their own processing, though I would expect many fewer do C-41.

5. OP
    OP
    NortheastPhotographic

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been dying to try some of the Rollei films! I'll look for them next time I stock up.

6. OP
    OP
    NortheastPhotographic

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are many who do, but I think equally as many photography hobbyists who have picked up film late. These are folks who started with digital and are trying film now because their interest in the art form has matured IMO! The hybrid workflow is great for these folks because they may not have access to a darkroom, and enjoy expressing themselves on platforms like Instagram.

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about any film made by Foma?

8. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I feel like Kodak Gold is somewhat snubbed.

9. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Underrated film today? Personally, I embrace any film available today. In Canada it is one C-41 film from FuFilm at Shoppers DrugMart and one C-41 from notsoKodak in Walmart. The rest is in few remaining photo stores at inflated price and within few online stores.
    Welcome to reality...

10. OP
    OP
    NortheastPhotographic

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've shot a lot of Fomapan 100 and found it to be a fantastic film.

11. OP
    OP
    NortheastPhotographic

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Absolutely true. In fact I wish they made it in 120.

12. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All the cheap re-branded bulk stuff.

I've been going through a bulk roll of Ultrafine Extreme 400 and it's an excellent film. Shoots well at box and pushes well to 1600 and beyond. It has a pleasant classic grain and looks pretty smooth. It's also nice and cheap.

13. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I go to Walmart, I always go check on the Gold to see if someone bought a pack. Sometimes the spot is empty and it makes me smile loll

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. 1kgcoffee

1kgcoffee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Velvia is incredible and certainly underappreciated.

16. Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would it be bad of me to say Tri-X? ;-)

17. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Surely you must be kidding.

18. Amfooty

Amfooty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Foma 200/Arista Edu Ultra 200. I'm not a huge fan of the 100/400 speed films (even though I've shot a lot), but I have gotten some beautiful negatives out of the 200 speed film shot at 100. Its one of the films I try and keep on hand at all times.

19. Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only halfly - some people think Tri-X is too old school, too much grain, too contrasty, etc.

20. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the closest chrome film to Kodachrome to me. Both gone :sad:

21. OP
    OP
    NortheastPhotographic

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's true, though in many ways Fuji is trying to price it out of existence. It's only somewhat affordable in 120+, but I love it in 35mm.

22. iandvaag

iandvaag Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are such things as under-rated films? I'd say most manufacturers a fairly generous with their box speed ratings, in particular Delta 3200; from what I hear it's at least 1 & 2/3 stops over-rated...:tongue:

Kidding aside, slide film in general is terribly under appreciated. On this site, I think it's mostly because it's not easy to make a great analog print with materials available today. But nothing beats a perfectly exposed medium format stereo slide in a back-lit handheld viewer, IMO. It's a hugely satisfying medium to work in.

In particular, Velvia 100 doesn't get a lot of love. It does everything that RVP 50 does, and with one stop more speed (and possibly better longevity). True, the deepest blacks are not as neutral as Provia, but some images just look better with that beautiful Velvia colour.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  23. Ste_S

Ste_S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're doing XP2, you probably need to do Fuji Neopan 400CN at the same time. It's XP2 made by Ilford for Fuji, which may or may not be subtly altered to Fuji's taste.

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Probably some of the many films that I have not used. The problem is to determine with ones without using them first.

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably FP-4.
    I would have said Plus-X before it stopped being available.
    More related to how frequently they are "rated" than how well they are rated.

26. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Panatomic X and Plus X were underrated and ignored.