What camera are you lusting after, and why?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by david b, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Europan

Europan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bell & Howell Filmo Straight Eight, finally had luck and could purchase one, cheaply. What I still miss is a spool for it. But I am a happy owner of a Straight now! Woo!

2. nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd like a Minolta Alpha 7, l'm just amazed at how it's really well thought out, and it's not a bank-breaker! I am reluctant to buy one from Japan though, since they are notorious for aperture mechanism failure and autofocus problems, but l suppose the reputable sellers really do thoroughly test a camera before selling it.

3. Need has nothing to do with it. Just buy it. :smile:

4. Good for you! Enjoy!

5. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Save the XA2 for sunny days. It's the fastest camera I own.

6. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not having one, I do not understand the near-cult status of this camera. It seems to be an ordinary point-n-shoot with a somewhat fast lens. What distinguishes it from similar cameras? Does it have demonic powers?

7. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :laugh:

8. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't even have the cult one, that would be the Stylus Epic II. I have the OG Stylus with the 3.5 lens.

It was designed by the guy who designed the XA line and the OM line. It feels exceptional in the hand, something the MJU II does not do. It's ultra quick to use, while maybe not as quick as the XA2, it is fast. Very simple full auto with options to turn off flash that is intuitive and quick. I don't yet know how good the lens is, I'll know sometime in the next while after my rolls come out of the tank.

In short the camera is just fun to use. Will it replace my F3, OM-1, and other SLRs? No. But it does do the snapshot job as good as any camera I've used yet. Is it worth $200? No, but if you find one cheap it's well worth picking up.

9. scheimfluger_77

scheimfluger_77 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    A Chamonix 5x8. Because it is beautiful and the format looks cool.

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    gave up on the bulls-eye ..
    i'd love a kinora .. so i could make my
    own hand coated flip movies ..
    or an eyemo with 1 lens and a can
    so i can use up ALL my 35mm film in about 3minutes.

11. David T T

David T T Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With an RB67 handling 95% of what I need, I think I'm covered.

I also use XAs for stealth/street, and I just picked up an eos 1n for shooting 35mm with my lighting rig . (and for fun, I love that camera!)

12. Black Dog

Black Dog Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For sure-I'm very happy with my XA2.

13. BayG75

BayG75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A early 1950s Ihagee Exakta 66 (horizontal). Since there were maybe only a few hundred made they are pretty expensive and hard to find. I doubt I’ll be adding one to my collection anytime soon. But I’ve always liked those postwar Exakta cameras and 6x6 is my preferred medium format ratio. The very similar 35 mm Exakta VX models are a lot less expensive, but I have a number of 35mm German cameras from that era and for some reason would like to have the Exakta as a medium format SLR.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. anfenglin

anfenglin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a steel cupboard here at work where we have two, one with Tessar, one with a Tele-Tessar. Both are defective, though. Mechanical issues.

16. BayG75

BayG75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wish there were a cupboard like that at my workplace. :smile:

17. anfenglin

anfenglin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The perks of working in an online shop specializing in analog photo gear ;-)

18. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Phase One back for my Hasselblad 501c so I can use those cameras and their lenses again.

19. BayG75

BayG75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ah yes, that would do it. I am an architect; most of our office cupboards just contain paint chips, carpet samples, and old presentation boards. Not quite as much fun.

For years there was a box in the corner of one closet that contained a bunch of no-longer-used 'analog' drafting tools - parallel rules, triangles, circle templates, rapidiograph pens, etc. the box was jokingly labeled "In case of power outage". For the first 15 years or so of my architectural career I was still dong most drafting and drawing by hand. I miss those days.

20. Arbitrarium

Arbitrarium Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I posted here in December saying my dream camera was a serviced Pentacon Six with Biometar and plain prism. And I just got one! Body serviced in 2016, working perfectly, lens is clean (loose focus but I can live with it), and I got a prism from my local camera shop. Having a bright fresnel screen delivered from Arax.

Now to save up for a Sonnar...

21. BradS

BradS Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    currently thinking about a Leica screw mount....and I have no idea why. Strange animal attraction? Holding off so far.

22. michr

michr Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Still looking for a 4x5 camera with a rangefinder calibrated to the lens, and a longer lens in the 160-190mm range. I have a number of Graflexes, but they are all just almost what I want. What I'd like to do is shoot handheld, wide-open (and preferably on film slower than ISO 400).

23. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Linhof Super Technika V ?

24. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wrestling with the idea of whether to go for a travel size MF camera vs. using a Leica M6 for this purpose. Options would be the Mamiya 6 rangefinder or a Rolleiflex. The latter is probably better built and as a fixed package, might even prove more durable. Good questions are fun to ponder. Whether to go in this direction or not probably means off loading some 35mm. So it's a big "Hmmmmmmm".

25. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm currently debating large format camera options. 4x5. I'm planning on selling some of my lesser used cameras to help fund the purchase. Probably looking at getting it for Christmas along with all the fixin's.

26. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just get one :smile: It needn't be a Leica, the Canon II and III series are excellent, and not very expensive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.