What camera are you lusting after, and why?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by david b, Oct 29, 2008.

1. PerTulip

PerTulip Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Zeiss Ikon ZM rangefinder. Constantly looking for a good deal.... and seriously considering a 4x5.

2. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welp, picked up an XA2 from am APUGer, should get to my door any day. Needed something small and quick to take photos of kids. Should fill in that niche.

3. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Seems I've switched out my Bronica SQ camera gear for Rollei SLX. Rollei SLX is under-rated. Love returning to Zeiss-designed glass. On the whole, Rollei seems easier to use and fewer fidgety things... but that may be me getting more comfortable with MF. Different form factor which is a tad more convenient and a shutter priority exposure. Again... another one of my "nevers, not gonna happens" falls and bites the dust. And the whole seems easier and quicker in just about every way. Works for me. Didn't expect to find myself here... in fact I thought Rollei was crazy expensive initially. But then... the Bronica taught me I like MF and missed the Zeiss lens types.... and form factor can or does matter (to me).

How did I get here? It started with thinking about a 40mm lens. And then going out on 2 shoots, I felt there had to be a better way. Now.... all that said.... I'm hoping the Rollei "sticks"... otherwise in 6X6 it's up to Rollei TLR or Mamiya 6 land both of which put your wallet in competition with that of collectors.... something that never ends well. But a totally dissed camera like the Rollei SLX? I'm on my own. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! "Make mine an SLX 2? Swwweeeeeter!"

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  4. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What isn't worthy of lust? I have so much medium format stuff, literally selling for 10 cents on the dollar. Scoop up stuff and take care of it. In the days to come there will be someone happy you saved it.

5. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Intrepid 8x10.

I have no idea why since I already own an 8x10 that I do not use enough. So buying another one would mean that I would have two of them that I do not use enough.

Maybe the reason I lust for this camera is because I already own Intrepid's 4x5 camera and I use it a lot. It is so light that carrying it along is no big deal. In fact I pack it everywhere even if I really have no plans to use it. I guess I feel that having a light 8x10 would help increase my use since I would be prone to carry it around more often than the one I have.

Of course, the fact that is inexpensive is probably a factor that is influencing my lust as well. Its not like I'm jonesing for a really expensive camera that I can't, or shouldn't, buy.

There are a few contraindications as well. There almost always are a few to get in the way.

First, like I mentioned, I already own one; a very nice Deardorff V8 that alread does about everything I could want, except carry itself.

Second, weight isn't the entire problem. An 8x10 camera is actually quite a bit larger than a 4x5 so it is more bulky to start with. So even if its lighter it isn't necessarily easier to carry around. So, unlike the smaller 4x5 Intrepid, it still won't be THAT easy to carry around.

Third, larger cameras are also harder to keep stable, so weight can actually help, not hurt.

Finally (I think), in large format the camera is only a part of the equation. You also have to consider all the extras that are along for the ride. Like the film holders, the dark cloth, the tripod, and on and on.

So, for now I will lust from afar. One of my goals this year is to do a bunch of contact printing. If I do follow through on that goal then I may be using my Deardorff more often. That could force the issue since I am certainly not getting any younger and packing that heavy old Dorff gets harder and harder every year.

6. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pioneer: I love it! In your secret heart.... you're really a hipster (like the rest of us)! Go for it! (or don't). FWIW, I just looked up the Interpid site and linked lenses... and I'm now feeling a lot better about my own outlets for GAS.

7. NJH

NJH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad SWC.

Reasoning is partially to do with my love of walkabout cameras, the sort of thing you can wonder about with for hours either at events or in a town/city. Hardly done any of that this year and really miss it, may be an expensive Chrimbo present to myself.

8. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    The Jaeger-LeCoultre Compass does sound intriguing but I think I'd find it a challenge to actually use as a camera:

9. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A late friend had an Alpa that I always wanted to try. Yet I am reluctant to buy one for several reasons: their prices seem high (probably driven up by collectors, not users; would require Leicaflex and Nikon F adapters; and not quite sure whether I would like it or not. There is also the question of spare parts and competent repair man. Nonetheless, I would still like to try one out.

10. For that kind of money you could own a Hasselblad and several lenses with money to spare. Parts and service are available.

11. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been using Hasselblads since model F with Kodak Ektar lens; when that camera died (watchmakers should not make shutters) began using 2000FCM and Zeiss, Nikon and Kilfitt lenses with adapters. With advent of digital able to acquire C/M and Hasselblad lenses. I have all cameras, lenses and equipment that I will ever need except for a few trinkets.
    If I remember correctly, when the Alpa 11e was first reviewed the comment was that the Alpa suffered from mirror bounce. Still, I would like to try one out because of its odd film advance. One can ride a camel without owning a camel.

12. Arbitrarium

Arbitrarium Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd love a Pentacon Six with Biometar, Sonnar and plain prism. I adore the look that these lenses give photos. The 'dream' aspect would be a fully serviced body and lens.

13. Arbitrarium

Arbitrarium Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, and a Robot Royal 36. In black. With Sonnar lens. And a towel for the drool.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A black new logo Minolta XD7.
    I want one to give company to my X- series bodies.
    And i would not complain if someone bought me a Nikon F5?? :smile:

16. With a screen like yours how could you ever handle a Nikon or Canon?

17. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To add to my earlier post, I'd also quite like a Hasselblad SWC, or a Rolleiflex 2.8C/D/E/F (without the meter!) or a Linhof 612PC...

If it wasn't so blindingly expensive, a Rolleiflex wide-angle/ FW would probably be a perfect compromise...

18. Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do like some N-word cameras :D

19. David Lingham

David Lingham Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Retirement present to myself hopefully will be Hasselblad 501cm.

20. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pentax MZ-S with 43mm limited lens.

Just because I could never afford one when they were new.....

21. I meant screen name like your how could you ever handle a Nikon or Canon.

22. Gimenosaiz

Gimenosaiz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi!
    I know I'll never purchase one of these: Shen Hao TFC 617-A :smile:

I love this beautiful landscape format. The camera itself is gorgeous, hehe.

I also lust after the Mamiya 6 G 50mm F/4 ...

Saludos!

23. Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I get it, Minolta fan does not mean Nikon hater, or hater of any other brand!

24. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lately I've been hankering after a D750 and a black FM3a. Don't need either of them.

25. NortheastPhotographic

NortheastPhotographic Advertiser

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been dying to get one of the Speed Graphics rigged with a 150/2.8 that Catlabs is selling.

26. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here's a different take.

I did not know I needed an Olympus Stylus. However a nice seller threw one in with an XA2 and It's been in my pocket for almost a month. I never knew I needed this camera but it's a game changer for me.