What are the virtues of Pre-AI Nikkor glass?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by chip j, Nov 25, 2018.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nonsense.. Ray tracing was one of the first applications of computers. Though at the time, these were analog computers designed for the task.. Not general purpose computers. Engineers were pretty smart back then.

I am probably reiterating fairy tales, but I remember reading that Nikon designed its first lens using an army of abacuses. But in the early 1950s, electronic computers became available and lens design departments could rent time on them or larger companies bought their own. I think fuji bought the first computer in Japan and voigtlander in Germany. And of course kodak in the usa.

For a real treat, check out this film on Rochester optical:

2. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Vivitar Series 1, 70-210 was the first lens designed with the aid of computers. Vivitar hired Ellis Betensky (NASA optical engineer) to design it. This was the first, high quality zoom on the market. The one that forced Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc, to get off their collective arses, and start designing and building quality zooms.

Russ

3. markjwyatt

markjwyatt Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would venture to guess a slide rule or two were involved.

Very cool video- thanks!

4. Kawaiithulhu

Kawaiithulhu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you look at the mainstream primes, some of those designs hadn't changed for decades with only minor tweaks and new coatings and mounts updated every few years.
    I'm totally not a "Lomo" guy, but I also do not pray at the altar of ultimate sharpness and fidelity either, and think that how a lens renders the scene is an important of the process.

I also like history. So for me the virtue of an older lens is partly in the subtle differences of its rendering from a highly corrected lens and partly in its place in time.

5. Luckless

Luckless Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Computer aided design for lens manufacture is far more about creating lenses by far more cost effective measures than it is about improved optics. It is about easing the grunt work in calculations, and being able to apply optimization passes to a finer degree than would be practical to do by hand. However it should be kept in mind that one of the impacts that computer aided ray tracing had on the optics industry was to enable manufactures to test more variations on designs and potential combinations with the goal of getting an 'equally good' lens that could be produced more reliably and/or with cheaper processes and materials.

The light doesn't care if a human crunched the numbers, or if a machine did it. The only one who is really going to care is the accounting department...

6. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Thank you darinwc for sharing this! Priceless!

7. John Earley

John Earley Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. As a long time user of Nikon lenses from pre-AI to G, I really appreciate them all for many different reasons. It's as nice to see where we've come from as it is to see where we are now.

8. OP
    OP
    chip j

chip j Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Where we are NOW is at the END of Nikon film lenses.

9. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the end or very close to it. Nikon is likely to reduce or stop production of F mount lenses in favor of the Z mount; that is where their future lies. I would expect Canon to discontinue the EF mount in favor of RF as well; they have traditionally been more aggressive than Nikon in this area.

10. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks the film is a hoot!! Really labor intensive

11. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    low price but moder4n optical design, common filter thread, smooth rendition and contrasty sharpness.

12. OP
    OP
    chip j

chip j Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Smooth rendition sounds good to me; like old Leica, perhaps?

13. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    What do you all think of the pre-AI, Nikkor 35 f/2 glass?

16. OP
    OP
    chip j

chip j Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  17. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Ai version got WAY better multi coating. Non AI was very prone to flare even with proper hood. That was only reason why did I eventually replaced it

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  18. John Earley

John Earley Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very true. I have a 24mm f2.8 pre AI, one of the first 1500 produced, that will flare if there's a point light source within 2 parsecs. I like the lens but would like it more if it had a good lens coating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.