Want to Buy Wanted $10 Leica rangefinder for personal use. CL Found.

Summer Dreaming

A
Summer Dreaming

It's Winter

A
It's Winter

Cottonwood II

A
Cottonwood II

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRInfratech
Recent bookmarks
Trader history for eli griggs (4)

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
CL Found.

I am looking for a working Leica Barnack or, film 'M' that you'd rather see being used by me, on a regular basics, than sitting in the closet, gathering dust.

I am looking about for a functioning 'user', warts and all, no a collectable or valuable collectors piece (yes, I know they are all of valuable in one sense or another), but a solid working camera with the wear and tear of hard use and misadventure, that still delivers the shot.

This would be my daily, carry camera, as the SLRs in 35mm have gotten bulky, especially when i carry medium format kit.

No equipment made available to me, will be sold or traded away, as a condition this, will be sold, or traded away, but like any other camera, lenses, enlargers, etc passed on to me, will be made available to people who are carrying forward analog photography into the future.

If my method of asking for such a valuable item offends you, I will only mention that I have, for years, received and passed on, kit, usually to younger photographers starting out, that I have receive this same way and, some I simply bought and no longer needed, and one day any kit I might receive as a result of this ask, will be passed on the same way.

Cheers, Be Safe, Be happy and Godspeed to all.

Eli

Last edited:

choiliefan

Shooter
Medium Format
I will add that in general, NC natives are very frugal.
I'm one of them...

choiliefan

Shooter
Medium Format
The only way to find a camera in that price range is at a thrift shop or yard sale.
The likelihood of it happening increases every time you go out looking.

Shooter
Multi Format

Chan Tran

Shooter
35mm
The only way to find a camera in that price range is at a thrift shop or yard sale.
The likelihood of it happening increases every time you go out looking.
My brother found a IIIA in one of the Goodwill store and he paid $25 for it. He didn't like it so he sold it for something like $400.

nanthor

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I can sell you a leatherette cover for an M3-6 for $8.00. It's not the whole cover, it's just for the back door, but it's a start.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
Some day (probably after my death) I'd donate all my photography equipment to students. However, unlike a music conservatory student, a photography student can produce an epic portfolio with a plastic camera. So, its probably not worth the effort to make the donations.

I will say I got a Nikon N55 for my son for $9 from KEH. It was brand new but sticky. He does not use it any more and it is my main travel camera.

Last edited:
Shooter
Multi Format
How 'bout a bag of chicken bones (dried two seasons) and a donkey cart of well composted manure ? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hold the chicken bones, just ship the manure.

Shooter
Multi Format
Some day (probably after my death) I'd donate all my photography equipment to students. However, unlike a music conservatory student, a photography student can produce an epic portfolio with a plastic camera. So, its probably not worth the effort to make the donations.

Why wait until you die... don't you want to feel the gift of giving before you go? Chris' Charitable Photography Phoundation is taking donations now!

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You can come fairly close to this price point by grabbing one of the Ukraine seller early model Zorki cameras from eBay. These are Soviet-made Barnack Leicas, in the same way a Keiv 2 is a Soviet-made Contax II. Shipping is quite reasonable, and while I haven't tried a Zorki, I have a Kiev 4M that I'm very happy with (and carry every workday, at present, for its combination of compactness and multi-lens capability). Might even be worth including the Kiev line in your search; in some ways, the Contax II was superior to the Barnack Leica as a camera.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You can get quite a nice LTM camera made on stolen Leitz machinery for under $10, well I have anyway :D No lens tough, but I paid £5 for bodies and £5 each for 3 or 4 Jupiter 8 lenses all in excellent condition.

So yes a good working LTM Rangefinder and lens for $10 maybe not so easy but £10 - $11.90 yes. I paid £25 for a Leica IIIA and f2 Summar back around 1973, it's worth an awful lot more now, and my M3 and Summicron are worth too much these days :D

Ian

OP
OP
eli griggs

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks for the replies, however I am quite happy looking for a user this way, and though it may ruffle some feathers, I'm in earnest and already have a nice Fed 3B, however having bought and owned both a Leica M3, and a IIIc, both only sold for family need, years back, I find the Fed, so much less suited for a daily carry rangefinder, so, I choose to see who or whom may have a camera in working condition.

Like some here, I have given away cameras, enlargers lenses, in fact an entire colour darkroom, as well as one complete B&W darkroom (two if you include the one for my sister and niece) and I have been gifted similar in the past.

This is 'natural' when you love photography and want to share the experience, or to see others joy in the receiving.

As I said, I do no sell items obtained this way, the exception being, (and it seems there are always exceptions) that if someone gives me a piece of kit, and tells me that I'm free to sell or trade it for something else that fills my need better, well that option is always there, however, in this case, that does no need to happen because I intend to pass on any camera, that I Might receive, Period.

Again, this may no suit you, perhaps you feel I lace pride or something else, but what I see is I'd rather see the kit sitting unused until the kids or grandkids, or spouse or stranger, comes along and drops it into the rubbish, where it's use and beauty of form and function, is lost forever.

This is the way I suit myself.

Anyway, while I have your attention, any little bit of loose kit or lens will be welcomed as well, so...

Cheers, Be Safe, Be Happy and Godspeed to all,
Eli

PS., if you do have some camera, lens or other item of photographic kit sitting on a shelf, do consider giving it to some young or old person, whom will use it themselves and see if doing this 'makes your day' and theirs.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The worst that can happen is that the answer is "No".

OP
OP
eli griggs

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

I tried CL in N.Y.C., D.C, L.A., Asheville, Charlotte, Rochester N.Y., Baltimore, etc, but in all, but the N.C. list, Administrators took down my ads, saying I permissively was out of my area,and and with them any response I may have received.

Somewhere, there is a camera for me to find, but I would be just as happy to win the big one and buy my own system, so knock on wood.

Eli

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Just out of curiosity but can you say what your reasoning for deciding that $10 was about the right amount to pay for such a camera?

pentaxuser

OP
OP
eli griggs

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
$10 is a common sum for people to make gifts of value in exchanges to others, though I can no point to a particular law, I have seen it used in my Family's past Purchases, Sells and Deeds to Land and Properties, in many cases, from one family member to another, or between two families joined by marriage, here in the Carolinas.

$1 was common in some places in America, $100 is more up-to-date in Land?Property deals, but $10 is about right for this Circumstance and Ask.

IMO.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Pedantry warning on:
Historically, a single peppercorn was used to signify nominal but still valuable consideration - a component that is absolutely necessary to prove the binding nature of an agreement to (ex)change ownership of something of value.
The law distrusts gifts, and enforces bargains!
Warning off - return now to your regularly scheduled programme! :D

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom