Tim Rudman toning book

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by amellice, Apr 14, 2015.

1. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Several Brian. All look about as safe as Indiana J's Temple of Doom.

2. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would love to get a copy of this book. I could put it with the other 300 books I have on darkroom work. It would be nice to see Mr. Rudman be able to justify another edition, just to drive the price of used copies into the ground. :smile:

I heard on NPR tonight that some convenience store in Puerto Rico moved the price of D cell batteries up to $5 a piece (and they are probably those really shi**y ones that come with TV remote controls).

People that violate copyrights should go to jail.

3. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Obviously all the files are available to do a reprint, so what with the ability to have a single copy of something 'printed on demand' now a days, couldn't this be an option, even if the book costs a little more than the original cover price? I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to go this route.

Terry S

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IIRC, Mr. Rudman was unwilling to compromise on the reproduction quality, so less expensive means of publication were not acceptable.
    This makes a fair amount of sense, when you consider that the book is intended to assist those who wish to adjust and control the colour of one's prints, and accomplishes that by, among other things, illustrating the effects of various choices.

5. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How is this book different from any of the other toning books?

6. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Given the price of Tim's book I can say that Tony's one is a lot cheaper and isn't bad for its price but if there are others out there that you know of it might help the OP if you can say what they are. I'd certainly take a look at any you mention

Thanks

pentaxuser

7. LarsAC

LarsAC Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a copy and I am not going to part with it until I have mastered all the methods and details described in it - which will probably take decades at least.

I also bought copies of the books by Worobiec (Beyond monochrome, Toning and Handcoloring Photographs) and like them as well. While they are not as complete as Tim's books, especially the latter shows a number of examples especially for combined toning approaches. There are fewer recipes and details, but given the used prices for Worobiec's books, this may be a good start into the matter as well.

Lars

8. Craig75

Craig75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    its been eons since i looked through my copy but from memory most of it is showing you stepwedges in different toners and combinations of toners and then a typically beautiful photo.

Unlike the lith book I dont think there is anything in it you couldnt work out toning wedges and using google yourself.

i could be wrong tho...

9. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    knowledge and experience has its price.It's a fantastic book.

10. mfagan

mfagan Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As D.A.G. mentioned in post 32, libraries are a good source. Not necessarily because they have a copy (very few do I learned), but because if they have an interlibrary loan program, they can borrow it for you from another library. I paid $5.00 (admin and postal expenses, I presume) and had it in less than a week. Never having seen one, I found it so well done that I’ll probably buy one.

11. esearing

esearing Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wrote to Mr Rudman recently inquiring if he would consider re-releasing his book in an electronic format. He doesn't seem interested so it is up to the next generation to do the tests on modern papers and publish their results either for sale or free. Note there are other books that have some of his toning techniques such as the Master Printing Course which sells for under $20 usually. Eddie Ephrams also has a couple of books with various toning formulas and examples.

12. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Spotted on Amazon this morning... not asking too awfully much......
    $3,214.59
    + $3.99 shipping + $0.00 estimated tax

Used - Acceptable
    Item is in Acceptable condition only.

Books In Demand
    5 out of 5 stars 99% positive over the past 12 months. (19,387 total ratings)

13. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should buy it to flip!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    The gap between the OP's $20 as a reasonable price and the apparent latest market price grows slightly :D

pentaxuser

16. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have my copy already, but if someone were to offer somewhere close to this I could be persuaded to sell.

17. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Eddie Ephrams books are excellent I have two of them and refer to them when toning.

18. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will gladly sell mine for half that amazon price.

19. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think Tim makes any money from the resale of these books at the now astronomical prices. Buying a used or remaindered book does nothing for the author.

20. Skiver101

Skiver101 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I see the prices that this book is being offered at, but I can't seem to find any evidence of actual transactions at these prices.
    Maybe it's down to my poor searching skills, privacy, or, as I suspect, these quotes are just a modern-day 'myth' that are floating around.
    I too have a copy of this book in reasonable condition, and it has served me well. Moving toward a digital workflow, I would now be happy to trade it for a Canon 5d Mk i body in reasonable condition.
    But somehow I daren't ask; as I fear that may be an ask too far...Who knows ? But in the meantime; the book sits forlorn and unused. :sad:

JP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.