Tim Rudman toning book

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by amellice, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My idea of reasonably priced and yours may be worlds apart. I still have a copy that I would part with for my version of reasonable.

2. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might it be a case of "supply and demand"?....Regards!

3. Bralors

Bralors Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    anyone have the link to download a pdf?

4. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    A quick search on Firefox found a couple of links saying that they had a pdf download...

[Moderator's note: Please don't post links to material that is very likely to be in violation of copyright.]

Terry S

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well done Terry. It would seem you have solved the OP's problem and both downloads look to be free of charge or is that me being naive? I couldn't find any mention of pdf downloads on Google

pentaxuser

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may be naive. Second link goes to a suspicious site that requires registration. Who know about the first. The ethics may also be questionable.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd regard both of those links as dubious. Watch out for malware, unwanted software, etc.

The book has been out of print since 2013, but that doesn't make unauthorized copies legal. Libraries, however, might have copies.

Perhaps Tim Rudman, who has occasionally been active on this site, might weigh in on whether there might eventually be a reprint or e-book offering through his site. Alternately, anyone who is interested in obtaining the book might contact him directly.

8. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I continue to be amazed that photographers, who as a group are quite concerned about internet theft of their photographs, are happy to pilfer others intellectual work.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill:
    I agree.
    But I do think that for this book, there would be a fair number of people who would be prepared to buy it in pdf form.

10. Julie McLeod

Julie McLeod Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hope that doesn't give someone the idea that they can snag the free and probably illegal pdf posted earlier and then sell it for profit. :sad:

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Given what may be the dubious nature of the two websites on which you can allegedly click to download the whole book free, I would hesitate to do this in case there is something there that finds its way into you computer. So does anyone here even know if the whole book as a pdf is even there or is this a "hook" for a malware link?

At best there surely has to be a fee to be paid. At worst the site gets something from you that makes it worthwhile to apparently offer you what is on the surface the "genuine free lunch"

I have the book but even if I didn't I would not be brave enough to click on the link.

pentaxuser

12. Frank53

Frank53 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking for another book, I once ended up at one of these websites and I had to register to go on and after I did, this book I was looking for wasn’t there, but they started sending me emails about all kinds of books I wasn’t interested in.

Later I found a hard copy of the book I was looking for and I got the Tim Rudman toning book at a reasonable price as well.
    (If you really want it I think around £100 is a reasonable price)
    Regards,
    Frank

13. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even if there is a fee to be paid, the profit would be going to the wrong person. "Free" downloads of copyrighted material is unethical, immoral, and in many places illegal.

It is unfortunate for those of us who do not own this book that we either have to wait for a reprint or pay fair market value for a legitimate copy... but that's just the way it is.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Frank53

Frank53 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are absolutely right.

But......there seem to be quite a lot of people who are interested in a copy, and there has not been a reprint for years (maybe the author is not really interested) and second hand copies cost a fortune (who is getting the money in that case?), so I can understand that people take an illegal copy if they find one.

Regards,
    Frank

16. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ya, me too; it's easy to understand. I don't have a copy and would LOVE one... but still not ready to pay the prevailing price when a copy becomes available.

... and I totally agree that second-had sales only financially benefit the seller and not the author and/or copyright owner... but that's the way it's always been and not likely to change.

I've been ripped off twice (non-photographic publications) and (1) don't have the time/money/interest in being made whole and (2) don't have the time/money/interest to revise/reprint/etc. Maybe if someone approached the author with an offer to do the hard work in exchange for a royalty... rather than seeking/supporting sources that rip him off.

17. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I suspect it is the publisher not the author that determines the likelihood of a reprint.

18. Frank53

Frank53 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    “Ya, me too; it's easy to understand. I don't have a copy and would LOVE one... but still not ready to pay the prevailing price when a copy becomes available.”

So if I made a copy of mine and send it to everybody interested, for free.
    Regads,
    Frank

19. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Generally speaking I believe that you are correct. But in this case:

"In 2011 the rights reverted to me and in collaboration with Silverprint Ltd of London I arranged a reprint, ensuring the same high quality production as the original."

http://www.timrudman.com/content/toning-book-reprint

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  20. paulbarden

paulbarden Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I see this behavior all over the Internet, in all manner of discussion forums, etc. Of course, eBay is one of the worst for showing utter disregard for their own Copyright Infringement rules. The attitude there is "I'll worry about it if I get caught, which is extremely unlikely".

21. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There may be hope then.

22. Julie McLeod

Julie McLeod Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I contacted Mr. Rudman today and he said that he has no plans for another re-print at this time. He has a contact form on his website if anyone want to discuss it with him.

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For clarity, when I referred to people being willing to buy a pdf, I meant buying it from Tim Rudman.
    IIRC though, he is/was of the opinion that it wasn't possible to reliably reproduce the illustrations in an electronic distribution, and the quality of the reproductions was critical to the usefulness of the book.
    In my mind, a text only version would still be valuable, but then I bought mine at regular price from a store, off their books for sale shelf.

24. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :smile:

25. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    We now know from post 46 that the pdf is pirated, assuming it exists and isn't just a "hook" to get you to register. Even if it does exist which looks more and more doubtful then in addition to being a party to breaking copyright laws there is almost certainly a quality issue with the pictures. The alternative is a book by Tony Worobiec called "Toning and Handcolouring Photographs. It can be obtained from the U.K. Amazon site for £9.99.

It isn't as extensive as Tim Rudman's publication but I have seen a copy and it is quite good, covering handcolouring as a bonus.

Worth a thought if the OP cannot or will not pay the ridiculous prices being asked for Tim's book.

pentaxuser

26. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there a free PDF of Worobiek's book on the web? :laugh: