The Reason for Film and Vintage Cameras

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by keenmaster486, Feb 5, 2018.

1. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know why any of it is a problem. Some people are not happy unless there is a problem. Film and digital are just different tools for arriving at a final image. I use both and try to avoid all the dogma and rationalization of the film vs. digital debate, and just focus on making photographs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The problem is people forget cameras are for taking pictures. Think outcomes and it all falls into place. Everything before is propaganda. And jewellery.

3. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I wanted to revisit film in order to explore stuff that I never got around to exploring the first time around. Like shooting high speed color, even in the daytime. Or trying silly things, like photos of my lunch (so easy to do digitally, but can be surprisingly tricky to do with film, especially handheld in a dimly-lit room with lenses that don't focus especially close). And colorful grain, I want to see what I can do with that! In the digital realm, one often isn't even given the option whether to retain the chroma noise, it's simply processed away by default.

Hardware-wise, film gear is a good way to satisfy my cravings for new toys without spending a lot of money (especially when buying items which need servicing), and if I get my new-toy fixes with someone else's old junk, so much the better: Much less resource-intensive to refurbish an old camera than purchase a new one.

4. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    [​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    #fakedigital
    #governmentlies
    #filmtruther

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for stating that so accurately and eloquently.

7. OP
    OP
    keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    No, I use film. The internet is a mode of communication, just as making a telephone call has nothing to do with photography. You must have a very confused life if you are unable to understand that different technologies and their individual components. <<wink>> <<wink>> <<nudge>> <<nudge>>

9. OP
    OP
    keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Internet is a different thing from a camera, and is an exclusively digital thing. No analog and/or "old school" method exists of accessing the Internet. Therefore the use of internet-specific technology does not apply to this discussion.

10. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The biology of our perception, the biology of our thinking, is closer to digital than it is to film. Biology is 3 dimensional, film is 2 dimensional.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Actually my thinking and being is in four dimensions. I live in a space time continuum.

12. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly how is the biology of our perception 'digital'? Or the biology of thinking?

13. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

re-read: I didn't claim biology "is" digital, I said the obvious, which is that thinking and perception are "closer to digital' than is film, which is merely 2 dimensional.

"The biology of our perception, the biology of our thinking, is closer to digital than it is to film. Biology is 3 dimensional, film is 2 dimensional."

Some futurists say a future microprocessor will be a biological chip because chemistry and neurons can be faster than silicon.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How is digital not two-dimensional?

16. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I asked for clarification. I didn't shout at you. You seem to have several thoughts trying to get out at the same time. Perhaps I can parse this out.

You write that thinking and perception is obviously 'closer to digital' than is film. Perception (I am assuming physical perception, since you are invoking dimensionality) by humans (and all life) is analogue. Here I am talking about our five senses and there is nothing digital about it. Even the synaptic transmission of these sensations are analogue.

Now regarding film being two dimensional, this is also hooey when the chemistry and physics of image formation are considered. It is thin, I'll grant you that film is thin, but the layers and dimensionality of the film is important to its function. I have no idea where you were going with 2d vs 3d, vis a vis film and digital. You seem to be suggesting that all things digital are three dimensional, while all things analogue are two dimensional. This is demonstratively false. Do sound wave exist only in a plane? No, of course not.

Perhaps to your larger point, which is that brains function like microprocessors. Well, this idea has been tried by neuroscientists and computer scientists working together. Conclusion: it doesn't work like a microprocessor - at least at our current understanding. Now can a microprocessor be made to interface directly with our brain? Yes. But this does not mean humans are anything other than analogue. What any of this has to do with film rests entirely with you.

17. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Film is plastic (for the most part). The image on film isn't as close to being a print as is the more popular alternative. Kinda obvious, right?

I like printing on paper, framing with glass.

18. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No "old school", eh? Young grasshopper, let me tell you about USENET, uucp protocols, and newsgroups like rec.photo.misc ...

19. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which are still digital, not analog. Radio transmissions are analog, for instance.

20. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Who cares???

21. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, this is true. Many of us here, though, also get wrapped up in the process and the enjoyment of that process and that's where issues such as the subject of this thread arise.

Technically, yes. The results should be essentially identical, but...

...and I think this is where the appeal of using an old camera lies.

22. Martin Rickards

Martin Rickards Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm clueless at anything creative and find that film and the darkroom provide me with some sort of outlet. More of a craft than art, but it's something I can do to create more or less pleasing images.

23. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How does using your grandfather's camera make your images any better?

24. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    We benefit by entertaining new ideas. Surely our idea of "good" is not "analogue".

Bold can sometimes be more courteous than redundant statements of absolute belief.

25. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -.-- . ... / .. - / .. ... / .- .-.. .-.. / -.. .. --. .. - .- .-.. / ..- -. - .. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / --. . - / - --- / -- --- .-. . ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

26. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    for some people i guess it does, because it makes THEM feel better but to others
    they are the same pix taken with a iPhone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.