Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You know, if you use water stop (for film) poorly enough and long enough, and have converted to alkaline fixer, it raises the question whether your fixer will become a monobath before it's too exhausted to cleawr your film...

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You know, if you use water stop (for film) poorly enough and long enough, and have converted to alkaline fixer, it raises the question whether your fixer will become a monobath before it's too exhausted to cleawr your film...

The late PE - Ron Mowrey - posted more than once that you needed to use an acid stop bath after development when using an Alkali fixer. He noted that he had personally seen dichroic fog when testing Alkali fixers with just a water rinse. This was when he was working on TF2, 3, & 4.

The level of Thiosulphate in any fixer is far too high for any developer carry-over to create a Monobath, the staining and dichroic fogging will be very noticeable. I did quite a lot of research and practical testing of Monobaths in the 70s/80s for an applied application.

Ian

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Water stop & TF3 fixer you can mix yourself. Support your local/regional/national photographic chemical supply outlets 👍

TF3, TF4 and TF5 do not use stop bath, only water

Last edited:

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Wow, we're nearing the 20 year marl on this thread! Short answer: film no, paper yes (only to keep the fixer alive longer).

Wow, we're nearing the 20 year marl on this thread! Short answer: film YES, paper yes (only to keep the fixer alive longer).

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
OP
OP
SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
My thread will never end as long as the OGs (original gangsters) are alive and stop bath (as expensive as it is) is in question.

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
Well, speaking for myself, I would say it's really important to *not* stop bathing. It could take a couple days or more, but my wife would eventually have an opinion on the matter.

OP
OP
SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Well, speaking for myself, I would say it's really important to *not* stop bathing. It could take a couple days or more, but my wife would eventually have an opinion on the matter.
I just breathed my beer through my nose. Never read a funny comment while sipping your beer!

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
I just breathed my beer through my nose. Never read a funny comment while sipping your beer!
Put your beer down for a second...

When I was a kid a friend of mine managed to get part of his peanut butter & banana sandwich through his nose.

He cried.

The rest of us laughed our heads off.

Dennis S

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yep. Which is why I'm with you. The water stop guys are so out of touch.

Out of touch with reality.? Only used water stop for the last 5 yrs with no problems but the water here is very soft so that maybe a problem to some and water the same temp as developer rinse 2x.

Last edited:

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Out of touch with reality.? Only used water stop for the last 5 yrs with no problems but the water here is very soft so that maybe a problem to some.

False economy because the fixer life is shorter.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
water the same temp as developer rinse 2x.

Do some inversions, and you're getting close to an Ilford film wash -- which, with only three tanks full of water, will give archival washing of film. Seems like two or three rinses with progressively increasing inversion count might substitute for stop bath -- though the time that takes argues in favor of thirty seconds in an acid stop.
False economy because the fixer life is shorter.
There shouldn't be enough carry-over to affect the fixer if you do two or three tanks of water with inversions, like a short Ilford wash.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Do some inversions, and you're getting close to an Ilford film wash -- which, with only three tanks full of water, will give archival washing of film. Seems like two or three rinses with progressively increasing inversion count might substitute for stop bath -- though the time that takes argues in favor of thirty seconds in an acid stop.

There shouldn't be enough carry-over to affect the fixer if you do two or three tanks of water with inversions, like a short Ilford wash.

Maybe so, but most people do not and will not do three wash cycles.

Tim Stapp

Shooter
4x5 Format
As Sirius Glass has said more than once: Stop bath, whether Ilford,Kodak or dime store vinegar is sooooo expensive: why not???

Save your fixer.

OP
OP
SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Out of touch with reality.? Only used water stop for the last 5 yrs with no problems but the water here is very soft so that maybe a problem to some and water the same temp as developer rinse 2x.
With reality?? Never said such a thing.
Only, out of touch with simple home economics. As Steve said, stop bath is cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap. Fixer is only cheap cheap. Buy the stop and save your fixer.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Indicator stop bath from Kodak (haven't priced Ilford, but I'd be surprised if it was a lot different) is cheaper to use than white vinegar in the gallon jug from the supermarket -- and with the indicator, you can reuse the stop bath with confidence; as long as it's yellow, it's good (with white vinegar, you need to keep track of usage or have a pH meter to be sure it's still acidic).

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Indicator stop bath from Kodak (haven't priced Ilford, but I'd be surprised if it was a lot different) is cheaper to use than white vinegar in the gallon jug from the supermarket -- and with the indicator, you can reuse the stop bath with confidence; as long as it's yellow, it's good (with white vinegar, you need to keep track of usage or have a pH meter to be sure it's still acidic).

And the pH meter cost money too.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom