Members
Latest member
masterjbates
Recent bookmarks

Jeremy Mudd

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Just an FYI for anyone who is considering buying any of the current batch of Shanghai GP3 film in 127 format.

The backing paper is backwards on the roll, so that the "START" is at the end of the roll, and the numbers are in the wrong spot and count down instead of up. In my Yashica 44, the first number that comes up in the center red alignment window is "88", but the film isn't taped onto the roll you get closer to the next number, which is "77". You'll want to roll just past that, then set the camera counter at 1 and start shooting. This will get you 12 shots on the roll in 4x4 format.

At $55 for a 5-pack on Amazon with free shipping, this makes for one of the cheapest current options to shoot 127 with fresh film.

Jeremy

OP
OP
Jeremy Mudd

Jeremy Mudd

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I'd say more of a comedy than tragedy, especially if you are aware of the issue beforehand.

Jeremy

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
So the film is taped at the tail end as well as being wound tail out? Seems like you could respool to another 127 spool, untaping the film when you get to it and taping the new head when it comes along -- and then your red window cameras would work right. Annoying to have to do that with new production film -- hopefully someone has pointed this out to the confectioners.

OP
OP
Jeremy Mudd

Jeremy Mudd

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yeah its taped like it should be, at the beginning of the roll (which is the end of the backing paper) and not at the end of the roll (which is the "start" end of the backing paper). So at least that's a blessing there. I've had Shanghai stuff that had no tape at all which can make a mess in a camera, especially a Hassy A12 back.

Given how easy it is to deal with in the Yashica 44, I'll probably just compensate that way rather than dealing with re-spooling and re-taping it. The two Yashica 44's I have are the only 127 cameras in my stable so its OK. If I was shooting something else that didn't enable me to set the camera to "1" where I needed to, I might be inclined to do that.

I sent them a note a few days ago when I discovered it but of course there's no response.

I should have included the batch info here.

Date: 202405
Batch: 4101

Jeremy

Tel

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
A reminder of the old days--the infamous print-through of frame numbers from their 120 film. I had a couple of rolls of that stuff. Last time I bought any.

OP
OP
Jeremy Mudd

Jeremy Mudd

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
A reminder of the old days--the infamous print-through of frame numbers from their 120 film. I had a couple of rolls of that stuff. Last time I bought any.

Yeah - I said something long ago like "I'll never buy that Shanghai crap again" and now here I am again.

I also bought some Shanghai GP3 in 220 because, well, just because. I've shot two rolls of that and all has been good. It is really nice to shoot some fresh 220 and get 24 shots on a roll in my 500cm. Even with the nagging fear that something may go wrong.

Jeremy

Tel

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've got a few rolls of Portra in 220 in the fridge that I'm probably never going to shoot. PM me if you want it.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
After recently getting a 220 back in a 120 shell (sold as a 120 because of the shell, but the counter runs to 20 on 6x7), as well as the 220 back that came with my RB67, I've got a few rolls of GP3 220 on the way from China right now ("expected delivery" in mid-October).

All my 127 cameras are red-window, so I'd need to reroll and retape the reverse rolled 127 -- but I might still get some at that price, since while recut 120 works fine in 4x4, it overlaps a bit in full- and half-frame 127 cameras (of which I have four, at least).

OP
OP
Jeremy Mudd

Jeremy Mudd

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've got a few rolls of Portra in 220 in the fridge that I'm probably never going to shoot. PM me if you want it.

YES! Will do right now, thanks!

Jeremy

OP
OP
Jeremy Mudd

Jeremy Mudd

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
After recently getting a 220 back in a 120 shell (sold as a 120 because of the shell, but the counter runs to 20 on 6x7), as well as the 220 back that came with my RB67, I've got a few rolls of GP3 220 on the way from China right now ("expected delivery" in mid-October).

All my 127 cameras are red-window, so I'd need to reroll and retape the reverse rolled 127 -- but I might still get some at that price, since while recut 120 works fine in 4x4, it overlaps a bit in full- and half-frame 127 cameras (of which I have four, at least).

I bought Shanghai 220 on Amazon - they have it in stock there for $65 for a 5-pack plus free shipping, so that works out to $13-ish per roll.

Jeremy

ags2mikon

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Give Shanghai credit. It looks like they were standing on their heads to produce 127 film for us.🤣

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I bought Shanghai 220 on Amazon - they have it in stock there for $65 for a 5-pack plus free shipping, so that works out to $13-ish per roll.

Jeremy

I got it on eBay for $55, but it's taking weeks to get here. I'm not in a hurry, but I'd probably have paid the extra for Amazon Prime delivery if I'd realized it was there too.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Give Shanghai credit. It looks like they were standing on their heads to produce 127 film for us.🤣

But sometimes it looks like they're going around their a** to get to their elbow.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

cramej

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yeah its taped like it should be, at the beginning of the roll (which is the end of the backing paper) and not at the end of the roll (which is the "start" end of the backing paper). So at least that's a blessing there. I've had Shanghai stuff that had no tape at all which can make a mess in a camera, especially a Hassy A12 back.

Jeremy
This is why I no longer use what GP3 I have left in any camera that film travels in the o/___\o path. Two jacked up rolls was enough. The tape isn't strong enough to hold going around the corners.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Two jacked up rolls was enough.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

And maybe, fool me three times, someone's going to get hurt?

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hey, I had 4 backs to test....

Yeah. And I'd probably try a second roll in the same camera/back just to be sure I didn't screw it up or it wasn't a one-off problem, especially if there wasn't an obvious mechanical or operator problem.

OP
OP
Jeremy Mudd

Jeremy Mudd

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I was abused as a child, so going back to a film that's hurt me before is a learned behavior.

Jeremy

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
This reinforces my opinion of Shanghai film company. When are they scheduled to go out of business.

Sonynolta User

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
Well, reading this makes me feel OK, that I wasn't the only one to get backwards Shanghai 127 film.
Does your have all sorts of flaws and scratches in the emulsion when you print or scan it?
I know I'm not that abusive to my film in processing.
I also have some of their 220 to try out.
"thank you sir, may I have another?"

We've all been Shanghai'ed me thinks.

OP
OP
Jeremy Mudd

Jeremy Mudd

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I haven't seen any scratches on the 127 at all. I must just be lucky I guess?

The 220 has been pretty good. I've shot a couple of rolls of it.

Jeremy

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
I love Shanghai 220. Super film, just gotta be delicate with it if you use DF96 Monobath. Do not dev over 70 unless you want 'interesting' results.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom