Rollei 35 Light Leak?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Ben 4, Sep 5, 2007.

1. c41

c41 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Analog
    Thanks. The lens locks firmly into extended position, no ‘wiggle’ at all.

The leak appears (looking through the camera from behind) in the 4 o clock position, where the mechanism to twist and lock is, so not a good place to address from the inside.

I’ll try a hair band or something similar on the outside of the barrel. There is significant play in the plastic DOF collar on the lens itself, though I can’t see that would have any effect.

I’d be very loathe to part with A$300+ for another with the meter on top, purely b/c there seems little guarantee i wouldn’t be trading one problem for another.

2. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I’m looking into my 3.5 LED model right now — yea, at the 4 positi on is the little latch, if the light is leaking there then there’s something worn/missing around the lens barrel — if it is a camera you really want to use/like you could send it to Fleenor — his standard service is about $150 with a three month wait, but well worth it.

Or it a rubber collar around the lens barrel and shove it up against the body of the camera — makes collapsing the lens more difficult, but would probably fix the issue.

3. c41

c41 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Analog
    I started experimenting with some kind of collar on the barrel but it's always going to slide around when I collapse/extend the lens. I'd rather have a light leak was my quick conclusion on that solution!
    So I'll see if I can find someone to fix it, if not then I'll investigate getting another one.

It's just the perfect everyday camera for me. The top-down meter, the tiny size, filter threads. Wow, I wish they still made cameras like this. :cry:

The good news story is that I did re-subscribe. Happy to help support this great community. Cheers.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is exactly why I made my prosal at post #24.

5. c41

c41 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Analog
    Thanks AgX. The idea sounds good but the execution is likely to be beyond my 'in-house' capability.
    It'd have to be light-tight around the barrel without pulling rubber in or pushing it out when the lens moves.
    If I tried this myself, I don't see success. The camera is immaculate on the outside too annoyingly.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't ask me how often I acquired an immaculate camera that nevertheless turned out to have a hidden fault... However from the start I only pay as if it was broken. And yours was given to you. So, never mind and wait for your next chance.

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But you still might try using it with somehow covering the lens barrel underside with your left hand.

8. c41

c41 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Analog
    I've had no luck fixing my Rollei 35 unfortunately. Can anyone recommend a reasonable repair option I can pursue? I'm located in Australia but having it looked at by someone in the US/Asia is definitely in scope for me.
    Or is the consensus these aren't worth fixing? They seem to be around $150-200 and upwards on eBay.

I have the light leak on the underside of the barrel and the collapsed lens extends on its own if the camera is held face down.
    The barrel has a fair wobble too before it is locked into place, then it's solid.

Other than these issues, it's fine. The meter is good. The light leak is small (but irritates me).

9. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

they are definitely worth fixing because they are marvelous cameras to use, and wonderfully built -- the current resale price of used equipment is irrelevant. You buy the tool, then you have it services ($152 to have it done by Harry Fleenor) and then you have a tool that will serve you well for years.

The idea that "it costs more than it is worth to fix it) is stupid. You are not a camera dealer, you are a camera user. Think of it this way -- a used one costs about $200 or so -- but a new one, in today's money, was easily triple that, maybe closer to a thousand dollars. For 1/3 that you can have one like-new.

10. c41

c41 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Analog
    Thanks, perhaps not the quite the right choice of words on my part. I should have said something more like, or is the consensus this one might not be worth the time, trouble and expense of pursuing as a repair?

I agree they are smashing little cameras. I wouldn't be here otherwise and let's be honest, none of this is a very good value proposition. This is an antiquated little collapsible camera that was never built to last 40-50 years and more.
    I'd be happy if I can save this particular one and see it through many more years. It's very much my intent to use one, I've missed two shots today already by not having it to hand.

But I am worried about whether issues with the barrel on the Rollei 35 are adequately repairable. ??? About whether I really can have one "like-new".
    There's no value to me in being sentimental about what is just a tool. If I pay the same to get a better condition one, that would be the smarter move.
    This one could live on as someone else's 'project', or as parts, or as-is as a user (but I'm fed up with the flare personally) or I can get it fixed.

I didn't know Harry Fleenor serviced these. I can try contacting him to ask. West coast of US is close enough.

11. mjork

mjork Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had my Rollei 35S serviced by Harry Fleenor early last year. The camera had multiple problems (loose lens barrel, light meter linkage to aperture ring broken, lock mechanism for camera housing broken) and it came back with everything fixed and has been working reliably since then.

12. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What did it cost you?

13. mjork

mjork Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $129 for repair/CLA plus $24 for return shipping

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. c41

c41 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Analog
    Thanks all and thanks mjork, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I've contacted Harry and will send it in for quote/repair. The quote above is as per the one Harry gave me, plus an additional $59 for film test/light leak repair.
    I'll try to remember to update on the outcome in 5 months time.

16. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I had my (deemed unrepairable) LED repaired at Sydney Camera Repairs - excellent service and they were happy to ship to me at cost. Cost me $90 plus postage from ADL.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.