Prints are sometimes mushy, does not snap, pop out....

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by darkosaric, Feb 9, 2018.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am not talking about the print side, but the negative. When you say safelight is OK, do you mean you are developing negs by green safelight inspection? Or are you referring to printing?

2. David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Well that image shows that, with a bit of dodging and burning, you could achieve a similar result with the original image. However, I stand by my general point that it is not a scene with exciting light. In such lighting you need to have an image with more 'action' so that the grey lighting is not so important because the image is more dynamic.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Did you develop the film in a spiral tank and forget to put the core plastic pole down the middle?

4. OP
    OP
    darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film is not fogged for sure. My M3 does not leak light, and my developing tank also is ok. I load film in the dark, and plus in changing bag.

5. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems like underexposure on the film to me. If shadows are empty that is a likely cause.

6. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you put the two negatives side by side and look at them? Or print them each with the exact same settings?

7. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh Boy...that is a brilliant Dodging Tool to have. Somebody was using their IQ.
    I am getting some old filters and Scissors/Razors now.:smile:
    Thank You

8. NJH

NJH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simple answer is yes, give it a go and see what happens. In my case I have a load of negatives that were way overdeveloped by a lab so they tend to want between 00 and 1 to get all the tones down on a straight print, but of course this ends up with loads of grey and poor detail separation. Its been a good learning exercise because I have spent last year dodging and burning like crazy, vignette burns, gradient burns and cutting masks out of card to burn in the sky in etc.. Pretty much addicted to it now to be honest. I am lucky to have the RH Analyser pro as this makes it easy to meter different areas of a print and see what contrast works where. Of course as other have said if there is no detail in a shadow you can't rescue it from the negative, and likewise when the light is really flat you either play to that (think of lone tree in the fog type stuff) or you can burn and dodge to create a more interesting photograph. Its up to you what you want to create.

9. OP
    OP
    darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks again to all of you. Right now I am out of 30x40cm paper, so I cannot try some of tips mentioned, but I will try it later :smile:.

10. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    as you suspect, this is always a matter of exposure and contrast during image taking and printing; contrast is to B&W what color is in color photography. Don't be afraid of dodging and burning.that's where the mastery is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.