Printing Poll

Discussion in 'Wet and Dry Hybrid prints' started by JWMster, Jun 22, 2018.

How have you prepped your images to share with others: Last and Next 12 months?

1. Self-made Contact Print

2. Self-made Enlarger Print

3. Self-made Digital Negative

4. Self-made Inkjet Print with OEM inks AND OEM software

5. Self-made Inkjet Print with 3rd Party Ink OR 3rd Party Software - But Not Both

6. Self-made Inkjet Print with 3rd Party Ink AND 3rd Party Software

7. Service Bureau

8. Web Display of Scanned / Edited Image File

9. Web Display of an Image initially prepared for another media (Print)

10. Other Process - including Alternative Wet or Dry Process

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't see a lot of polls. Thought it might be time.

The question is how have you prepared your images to share with others over the LAST 12 months and/or expect to share them over the NEXT 12 months? While there are any number of ways to take this, I'm more interested in SERIOUS images. Yes we all share snaps with family and friends in texts and the like, but I guess the thrust as folks who subscribe to a list like Photrio is to narrow this down to the images you produce that merit something more of your time in shooting, editing, developing, enlarging and printing by whatever means you get to it. As many of these will also find their way to the web, I'm not leaving that out.

Someone will immediately point out that I've left out something. Sure. My apologies. Please feel free to comment, provide details, and/or let me know how lame the poll is. I actually quite curious to see where this leads... even if all it elicits is a message that this was done last week here or somewhere else.

Thanks!

2. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I selected "web display of image prepared for another media" as one of my choices but I'm not totally sure it fits what you intended. I sometimes take a digi-snap of a print and upload it here or at Ipernity, but I don't spend much time on them or try very hard to make them look like the real print ( mostly because I've given it up as futile! ) So in a sense, those are not "serious". I'm sure there are people who put a lot of effort for their web display here or on Flickr or elsewhere... but you did emphasize the sharing part, and apart from a few friends and family who see the real prints, those are what get shared.

3. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a roll of Ilford paper on order to make some 1x4 foot projection prints from 6x17 negatives.
    I'm in touch with a local professor. She's going to try to teach me how to make large inkjet digital negatives. I'm mostly interested in contact printing on "Azo" type chloride paper and learning more about alternative processes. Hybrid processes intrigue me. I have 8x10 and 11 X14 cameras, but too much without help. Contact prints still blow me away.
    I am terrible at scanning anything other than slides so I don't have much out there. I love making prints.
    I would love to prepare a really nice Baryta coated paper with a print out emulsion. Maybe dabble in platinum.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't really see much that covers the 12x16 colour print that I had Costco do for me yesterday on RA4 paper from a digital file.
    More do I see anything for the Cyanotype I did recently using a 6x12 negative.

5. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have and I will be processing film and making contact prints with the film using alt processes (carbon and platinum printing). Film sizes 120 (6cmx6cm and 6cmx10cm), 5x7, 8x10 (and 4x10), and 11x14 (and 5x14).

6. OP
    OP
    JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt: To my simple mind, Costco would be "Service" and Cyanotype... uh.... could find a home in a few places. Basically, there are limits to what the Polls here allow in terms of # of options, and I'd already hit that. Wouldn't Cyanotype be "Other - Alternative..." ?

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Service Bureau" is not a designation common in our market.
    "Commercial Photographic Printing Lab" that uses colour photographic (RA4) paper is descriptive of what they do.
    The problem with using "Other" for Cyanotypes is that it overlaps with "Self Made Contact Print" when you use a film negative.
    Labels are a mine-field when you deal with something as multi-dimensional as photography!

8. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I answered in terms of the last 12 months. I can't answer for the next 12. Whatever I'm planning to do always evolves into something else, especially given a 12 month window.

9. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Gum over Palladium and Tri Colour Gums for myself

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:

I interpreted Service Bureau met anything to do with photo inishers. Am I wrong?

11. OP
    OP
    JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SG: "Am I wrong?" No. Any commercial or 3rd party service is how I meant that. Apologize for obtuse language.

12. filmamigo

filmamigo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aside from web sharing, I entirely rely on "service bureau" or lab-made prints. The quality is great, they expose and process real colour paper to make the prints, and the price is SO much cheaper than keeping a large format printer stocked with ink.

One day I will get the Omega B600 enlarger set up again -- but I worry that my darkroom skills will never come close to my Lightroom skills.

13. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I never use labs or other third parties, not because I disdain them but because it's not my photograph until I've printed it. It's an ego thing.

I shoot digital and film. When I shoot film there's a reason and I do it with the intent to process it and scan it personally.

I rarely shoot color film but do scan and inkjet print color.

Recent Photrio Media images shot with Brownies and followed up with lith and toning are so appealing that I'm considering a darkroom.

14. OP
    OP
    JWMster

JWMster Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think I can change the wording, but I meant a "Lab or other 3rd party finisher" where I wrote "Service Bureau".

FWIW, as of this past weekend, I'm printing B&W with Piezography now on an Epson P600. Loving it! "Better" than alternatives is not the objective (oh... of course it is... but not compared to your output so much as compared to my own prior work). Is the improvement attributable to Piezography inks? Some, yes, but more to image preparation and the guidance in that effort that learning to prepare an image for all-black printing entails. What appeals most is the notion that Piezography and the curves you can make for printing re-establishes the link between the image and the printed output - basically the way you controlled this with the zone system ...only now you use either a digital input or a scanned image of the negative (my hybrid approach). Haven't learned this part of the process, but happy to be headed there!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.