Postcard Exchange Round 41 Comments & Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Oooh, my card is going on a Magical Mystery Tour!! :D Guess the PO was having an off day and thought you'd like 2 copies of the card - look forward to receiving, and maybe ABF will have a little peak too. :wink:

2. LarsAC

LarsAC Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Surprise - maybe they stuck together? Thanks for forwarding it!

Lars

3. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just uncovered beneath a pile stuff on my desk aluks post card, do not now how long its been there but it is found now. Holgraden in Munich is beautiful, sidewalks wet a prefect day for a walk in the garden.

4. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 2 more cards to mention, the first post card is from gdehaan, Foggy trees, Grouse Mountain. Its well done and the lighting is great , well composed, a 2700 foot ascent would be too much for me but glad Gijsbent made the effort, this is one of the finer landscape post cards I have received.
    Black Dog has pushed the limit's with his Kitchen at MicKlepage, a nice color rendition of a close up of a pitcher and a plate of cookies in focus and out of focus of customers of the restaurant in the background, a good use of selective focus.

All nice cards coming in this month. Mike

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  5. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also received Black Dog's lovely card (but waited for the migration to end to say thank you!) The second splash of colour on my postcard wall, but beautifully understated and moody colour - the lighting is indeed perfect.

As an aside, having acquired somewhat accidentally a kitten (the poor mite was rescued half dead from the street but is now a bundle of mischief,) I feel I might need to apologise in advance if my postcards in the next round are somewhat more marred by dust & other incursions than I would like - evidently young Sasha is a future Photrio subscriber...
    2017-08-14 18.44.47.jpg

6. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I have just received Mike C's card for this round. A lovely 'treescape'. Thanks Mike, another lovely card to add to my increasing collection.

Also apologies all round... I printed my cards up, wrote on them etc. and dated them 26 June 2017 ready to send and then for some reason misplaced them until now...

So, they were finally sent this week on Wednesday 26 August 2017, so ignore the date on the card when they arrive; they haven't really taken that long to reach you! :D

Also an advanced apology for the blurred and smudged writing on some of them. I had a read trouble trying to find a pen that would write on the back of the RC postcards, so some writing of text and / or address got smudged - Sorry!

Anyway, hope you all get them in due course.

Terry S

7. LarsAC

LarsAC Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got another one in the mail when I returned from vacation - mystic and foggy atmosphere in the woods by Gijsbert. Thanks!

Lars

8. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello everyone.

I am running really late with my cards and responses to the cards I have already received not only this round but two before this. I've had guests staying since 6/26 with just two days or three at most between them. Last guests leave Friday. Plan a printing session this weekend and my prints will go out next week, and I'll respond to all the great cards that have found there way into my letter box by the end of the following week.

I'll get there, sorry for my tardiness.

9. Black Dog

Black Dog Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IIRC I sent you one of the Al Weiwei exhibition ones?

10. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It was the cookies & water pitcher :smile:

11. LarsAC

LarsAC Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Received your card earlier this week, thanks a lot!

Lars

12. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received many cards during my "black-out" period, I'll try to leave a comment for these. Anyway, thans to everybody !

I also printed my cards, so all has to be done is addressing and sending them...hopefully this will happen before end of next week!

13. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I've now received a postie from Oxleyroad of an old motor car factory in ruin - many thanks! :D

Loads of details given about film, paper and camera to mull over.

I love receiving all of the pics from around the world. Nothing beats looking at actual work held in the hand, when compared to repro images in books and on the net etc.

I'm sure it's been asked before, but is there a place / folder on here to upload our pics sent, when all received, for everyone else to look at? Would be great if there was! :smile:

Terry S

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    21 Sept 2017

Better to comment on cards received late, rather than never. In no particular order ...
    The card from MattKing of a forest floor is an interesting mix of tones and shapes. This print "works" in several orientations.
    The photo from graciemansion is very nice. I like how the deep shadow divides, but does not detract, from the photo.
    Sue Evans' (Harman Tech Services) photo of a stage ready for a concert is nicely composed. It prompted me to create several stories. The venue looks very nice, but could be cold. I like the added photo of your bike. It adds to the the story surrounding this image.
    The panorama photo from kraker is really neat. Using 120 film allows a contact print of reasonable size. Have fun with this camera!!! The dark circles look like airballs, but why only at the one location? There are some in the upper-right corner also. Are they periodic along the roll?
    I like the detail and tones in the photo from LarsAC. Even though most of the image is low-key, detail is still visible in all places. Well done.
    The photo from BlackDog is interesting. I like how you included the repeating patterns of the tree shadows, but interrupted them with people.
    The photo from gdehaan of a dark, foggy forest tat provides a lot of opportunities to photograph.
    My Dad would recognize the factory in the photo from Oxleyroad (he grew-up in Detroit). It is sad to see once usable spaces just crumble away, and not get repurposed.

Thanks to all for some very nice images. I look forward to Round 42.

Regards,
    Darwin

16. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello my friends,

my cards are still sitting waiting to be labelled and sent, but this will happen soon.

During last months, I received (no particular order, likely reverse order of arrival)

OxleyRoad's Factory ruins. I love ruins, and this is one is no exception.
    gdehaan's Foggy trees. An absolute favorite, for the textures, the lighting, the mood... this brings me back to my childhood and the forests I loved in the eats of France
    graciemansion's subway station. Even if you state you're a beginner, this print works great, and the choices you made seem the right ones. There's a kind of mystery for me, with the perspective blurring the lmits betwwen the fore and back ground.
    Terrys' wavebreaker. Nice shot for a test one, I love the textures and the animals waiting for the tide.
    avi's (not sure about the psudo, the card is handwritten and came fro Italy) grey morning at the Hofgarten. This morning feels very quiet and somewaht humid.
    kraker's City of Almere. good decision you made to stay and shoot some images there (I'd do the same!) I didn't know Almere but absolutely love Amsterdam. The panoramic format works great here to give myself a sens of perspective.
    Matt King's Sticks and Ice. Lovely abstract view, with great tones and details.
    Sue Evans' of the stage waiting for the concert. There a kind of tension there, which makes the picture exist.
    Black dog's color print of a coat in display with people's reflection. Only color shot for this exchange (so far ?) . Works great for me!
    drpsilver's spilled coffee. Don't know if it's a real "oops", but I like it a lot!
    mike c's Sycamore trees from Sycamore canyon. I can almost feel the sun and the wind on the weeds.
    Larsac's barn door and lock. I always appreciate textures and close-ups, and this one works great.
    iandvaag's Relections beneath. I love this knid of shots, not fully street photography, with a bit of abstrction due to the symetry.
    Tim Walls's portrait from Thailand. Nice smile there, don('t know if this was a candid shot? Thaks for the appreciation on Chateauneuf, yes the place is very nice, mostly due to river Loire flowing 500m from my home !
    mooseontheloose's temple. Nice symetry there, with the person at the back making the "templescape" more lively.

Thanks to all of you, and I hope you'll appreciate my cards as much as I appreciated yours !!

17. Wayne Frederick

Wayne Frederick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi tezzasmall, there is a "General Print Exchange Gallery" under "Member Organized Functions", under "Photrio Galleries", where postcard exchange pics can be uploaded. I have not used it myself, but I will from now on.

18. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Wayne, just got your card today of the casements of Fort Preble. They sure are in good shape for as old as they are (1812) Very nice and well done, thanks.
    Lars, had your card of the locked and chained barn door floating around my cluttered desk here for a while very nice.
    tezzarsmall's dock piling with hair and other things growing on it looks really cool
    Oxleyroad,s card showing the gutted remains of the Old Packard Motor Car Factory, Detroit. A lot of History to those old Company buildings

I like getting all these cards, get a lot of different stuff thankyou much folks.

19. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks for that info Wayne - I eventually managed to find my way to the gallery. :smile:

Here is the link for anyone else that is interested: https://www.photrio.com/forum/index.php?media/categories/general-print-exchange-gallery.12/

I looked and noted that it hasn't had anything uploaded to that particular site since about May 2016, so maybe we all need to start uploading again, as I personally have received some great pictures in the exchanges, that I'm sure others would like to see. So, maybe a newer and better named gallery / galleries should be started, that are easier to find in the first place? I'll be looking into later, so watch this space... :smile:

Terry S

20. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    <Warning: morning rant inside!>
    Sorry folks, I'm just back from the post-office, and they are closed till next wednesday... so my cards will be delayed a bit more!

<end of warning>

21. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    My cards are (finally) on their way!! Sincerest apologies for being so tardy
    Next round they'll be in the post much earlier. :smile:

22. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey gang, so sorry I am late. Went to the post office. Apparently Polaroids are too small to send by mail. Need to envelope them and stuff. Hang in there.....

Regards, Art

23. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received Wayne Frederick's view(s) of casemates, which make for a VERY interesting card. I like the association of the two pictures (but this must have been ate least double work to print!).

Thanks!

24. Harman Tech Service

Harman Tech Service Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine are in the Post Today...better late than never !
    Neil

25. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow... and I picked it up in my mailbox last night; Poșta Română are apparently excelling themselves. Things are looking up, as in the lovely card :smile:.

I was away from home almost all September and know a couple of cards arrived that I haven't said thank you for yet - I apologise for my tardiness and will correct when I am at home! On the bright side, I have a half dozen rolls of film from my travels waiting to be developed, I'm hoping somewhere on there I will find The Meaning Of Life for Round 42's card :smile:.

26. LarsAC

LarsAC Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks - arrived yesterday in the mail. Drama in the sky - perfect to show all the range from white to black on MG WT RC. Maybe I need to try that one as well.

Lars

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.