Postcard Exchange Round 41 Comments & Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Jun 1, 2017.

1. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The mailing lists have been sent, time to check your Inbox.
    As before a new thread for comments, updates and feedback. Let us know how you're doing and what you've received.

Please check that your information is correct. Let me know as soon as possible of any corrections.

Please wait a few days for any corrections then let the mailings begin. There have been address changes so check carefully. Please check that your name is the first on your list.

aluk (25)
    anikin (MAX)
    Black Dog (MAX)
    darinwc (20)
    Dmosher (30)
    drpsilver (MAX)
    gijsbert (15)
    gr82bart (MAX)
    graciemansion (8)
    Harman Tech Service (MAX)
    iandvaag (MAX)
    John_A (5)
    kraker (15)
    LAG (20)
    LarsAC (MAX)
    Laurent (MAX)
    MattKing (20)
    mfohl (8)
    mike c (MAX)
    mooseontheloose (MAX)
    Oxleyroad (MAX)
    ozphoto (MAX)
    piffey (10)
    tezzasmall (6)
    tim_walls (20)
    Wayne Frederick (MAX)

2. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can't wait! My cards are ready and eager to be mailed out...

3. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Super excited to be a part of it again :smile:. I can't say my cards are as ready as mooseontheloose's, but I'm going out with my camera this afternoon...

Hmm. Which camera though... :D

4. mooseontheloose

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's been a long time since I've been ready this early. Over the past few rounds I've usually been quite late, and I wanted to make up for this time around.

5. OP
    OP
    George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an address update from tim_walls to pass on, I'll wait till late tomorrow in case others show up. Please be patient before hitting the post office.

EDIT: The update has been sent to all those involved, it's a fun one, take a second look if you copy and paste, my computer has some trouble with the accented letters.

Thanks everyone, I hope you've had a chance to check in.

6. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am astonished!

Even without the address correction, it has taken less time for a card to arrive from Japan than it has taken Fotoimpex to deliver my box of Ilford postcard stock from Germany :D. I have received my first card!

@mooseontheloose - thank you, it's wonderful, and all the better for including - in an abstract sense - two of my favourite things (beer and fried chicken) ;-). It has pride of place as the first of my new gallery of cards!

7. mooseontheloose

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm happy to hear it Tim! I saw the address correction and hoped it would make it there with the slight mistake - I guess it did!

8. LarsAC

LarsAC Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    @mooseontheloose Wow, that was quick - especially for a card that traveled all the way from Japan to Germany. Nice image!

Is that "pearl" surface paper ? I like it.

Lars

9. mooseontheloose

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Lars - which card did you receive? (I sent 3 different images this round). The Ilford postcard paper is pearl, the Fuji paper is semi-matte.

10. LarsAC

LarsAC Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Brooms on Ilford paper. Just went down into the basement - got some MG IV RC in pearl left. Need to try it again. But it is 16x20, so not suited for post cards ;-)

Lars

11. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too got Rachelle's card. Thanks Rachelle, I love the image, with a symetric composition which serves the subject matter well.

12. mooseontheloose

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received my first card of this round from aluk - a somewhat desolate rainy day shot of the Hofgarten in Munich. I was in the city this past March, but didn't get a chance to explore and photograph the city that much - hopefully the next time I go I'll have more time to do the city justice.

13. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Received my first two cards this week!
    #1: "Snack Stand" by Rachelle/Mooseontheloose- Fabulous! The multiple exposures really gave the feeling of 'busy market'. The pearl paper presents well on these small prints. The last postcard exchange I did I used this same paper. Unfortunately the surface on the back smears horribly with most inks. I see you added some labels which solved that problem. I put clear tape over the addresses.

#2: "Grey Morning at the Hofgarten (Munich)" by Aluk - Grey indeed! The washed-out sky, wet pathway, and bare trees really add to the dreariness of the image. Normally I would say there is too much sky but I think it works well in this case. Thank you!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Allso have Aluks card, grey days and bare trees and wet sidewalk, rainy days for sure.

16. John_A

John_A Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Got my first! A nice b&w portrait from thailand by Tim Walls. Posted from Bucarest, Romania. Thank you!

17. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ahh wonderful, thank you! That's a great weight off my mind (I posted them all at the same time in the same postbox, so I figure if one made it the others should be on their way too.) I can stop worrying about this round and start worrying about what to print in the next one now :smile:.

I tested more or less every pen I own, and ended up with the venerable old Sharpies. They spread a little more than I'd like (particularly the coloured inks, the black is OK) but at least dry smudge-free more or less immediately.

I suspect a plain old biro would probably work fine as well, but I was concerned about leaving an impression on the other side. Printing labels may be above and beyond my capacity for being well organised but does seem the best solution (and would also compensate for my terrible handwriting)...

18. mooseontheloose

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Darin! I think I've always used labels - maybe because the pens I like smear too much, or I was afraid of damaging the card somehow. However, it's become such a habit with me, since I usually use the Fujibro paper, which is quite thin - I feel the labels help "thicken" it up so it can survive the rigors of international mail delivery.

19. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The winner of the first card to reach my mailbox is: Mooseontheloose - Sensoj Temple.

Love the different feel you've captured by shooting later in the day; I remember visiting some of these temples between photoshoots, but never had the chance to see outside daylight hours, would love to revisit again soon.

20. mooseontheloose

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Nanette! Glad to hear the card made it down under.

I've also been to Sensoji very early in the morning (before 6 a.m.) - was very beautiful and peaceful then, with soft light and shadows everywhere, Buddhist monks praying at various places around the complex...too bad I didn't have my camera at the time - although I enjoy the memory maybe better than any photograph I could have taken. I really wish I lived in Tokyo sometimes, so I could spend more time exploring places in the off hours.

21. mooseontheloose

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim, I also received your lovely card today - it's a great expression captured at exactly the right moment.

22. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I received my second card! And I really love it, @iandvaag 's photo of his brother in spring (there was a time I didn't associate spring with snow, but since I moved here it makes total sense...) I really like that the reflection is almost like a second exposure of the photo! Thank you :smile:.

Thank you! So glad it arrived :smile:.

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've received three cards so far
    Mooseontheloose - "Snack Stand" a fascinating multi-exposure - well printed as always - and beautiful handwriting/printing to boot. You would think that she was a teacher :smile:

Aluk - "Grey Morning at the Hofgarten (Munich)" - grey light can be a challenge - the empty benches and greyed out tones really capture a mood.

Tim_Walls - "Errant wisp of hair" - a fun, casual people shot. I've assigned it a title, because none was supplied :smile:. The mischievous glint in the un-hidden eye is wonderful, as is the feeling of rushing with the crowd. The placement of points of interest is unusual, but rewarding. The print is very nice as well. It has traveled in total almost 17,000 km, and I like it a lot.

24. mooseontheloose

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My third card arrived yesterday from iandvaag, a really nice mirror reflection featuring his brother. It also reminds me why I don't miss spring in Canada (especially the Prairies) - with the massive snow melt that turns into a grey mess, the watery sidewalks, and not quite knowing how far you'll sink in the remaining snow/ground. For all my complaints I'll take plum and cherry blossoms in Japan every time. :wink:

25. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also received your card today, @aluk - and in perfect condition; what paper is that out of interest? It actually evokes a few memories for me - of the one time I have visited* Munich, to watch my team win the Champions League final (our supporters were all asked to assemble/congregate in the English Garden next door to this.) You can probably imagine most of my memories of that date are a little, shall we say "hazy" - but it's lovely to have those braincells fire again :smile:.
    Thank you very much for the kind words! And for the title :smile:. I wish I could say anything other than luck played any part in that photograph - errant is an excellent choice of words :smile:.

* well, I say one time - strictly speaking, I seem to spend half my life in Munich's (wonderful) airport changing planes; but the one time I've visited the city. (I nearly said one time I've left the airport, but even that's not true - I arrived by train from Salzburg for the football match...)

26. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    2 cards arrived today:

Aluk's Hofgarten - reminds me of my one and only visit to Munich, in fact almost identical weather! :laugh:
    tim_walls' AЯ - love the free feeling you've captured here!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.