Postcard Exchange Round 40 Comments & Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Feb 1, 2017.

1. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got a Great color card from ozphoto, two 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" photos with white boarders. Very hansom card with really nice printed color, the brick tombstone of a feelow hanged around 1908 has great color variance of the individual bricks and the clothing store taken at an angle one would have stepping up to and under the awning of the porch great local color. Thankyou oz and your nice

2. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    since I posted, I received:

RandalCav's Antelope Island, nice landscape, hope I can see a bison (buffalo ?) at least once in my life!
    Sue Evans's seascape, I like the framing by the weeds and the peaceful atmosphere. 50-70 miles rides look like a effort, congratulations for taking the cameraS with you (When I bring a camera while cycling, it's at most one camera/one lens)
    Jessica's Wooden witch of Wendelin, I like the opposition between the witch and the church in the back!

Thanks!

3. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    And there was me moaning about not receiving all of the prints sent to me on another sign up thread, when the postie puts another one through my letter box this morning! This one is from David Dorcich (no APUG name given).

Another one printed on Ilford's postcard paper, this time with a glossy finish. Lovely format! :D

A lovely landscape of hills and lakes with a good set of clouds to finish it off.

The card has been stamped and chipped a little on both sides, but this does not affect the overall feeling of receiving it. :smile:

Many thanks David.

Terry S

4. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Four more since my last update:

A surprise to receive two cards from the good people at Harman Technology:
    Neil was first, with "Butter rock", so much detail, and such a lovely image, makes me want to... either walk the coastal path, or maybe even be on the water.
    Soon followed by Sue, "glimpse of the sea", another sea view, and a lovely one at that. Love the framing, the reed on both sides , the grass at the bottom. The gradient of the water makes me wonder if it was sunlight lighting up part of the scene, or if some dodging and burning has been done. Can't be sure either way, but love it anyway. And a bonus (extra small) colour photo on the back, how about that. Great.

Not only good publicity for Harman/Ilford, but both photos also want to make me visit the UK again. (Then again, I want to do that anyway, always.)

djhopscotch, Bowman Lake. Stunning scenery, lovely sky, a great print. Well, I've just said I want to visit the UK again, but this makes me want to come and have a look in Montana (Whipping Floss) as well!
    ozphoto, old gaol, a colour diptych. A bit eerie, the prisoner hanging headstone, JAC being the first three letters of my own name. Try not to think about it! The "Sentenced clothing store" had me baffled until I read about the gaol.

5. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    09 May 2017

At long last I have a chance to comment on the cards that I have received - in the order of the pile on my desk.
    The card from Wayne Frederick is nicely composed with good tones in both shadow and highlight. The man on the trail adds to the in subtle, but important way.
    An interesting photo taken in Amsterdam and mailed from Montreal from gijsbert asks the viewer "What is distracting, and what adds to the image?".
    I really like the photo that labcoat used on his card. "Street photography" is difficult for me, but this image is very well done.
    The card from Ozphoto is a nice diptych of what sounds like a "really creepy place". Reminds me of my visit to Alcatraz (in the SF Bay) many years ago. Nicely done.
    Sue Evans sends a card with a view of the ocean, and a description of carrying lots of gear when on her bike. I can imagine this as part to a "blind" for unnerving waterfowl.
    A beautiful image from dphopscotch of Bowman Lake. I really like how the clouds, mountains, and water interact - they a all very complimentary. Well composed.
    The image from Neil Hibbs of Butter Rock reminds me of the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia when the tide is in. When I was visiting there it seemed to be a favorite place for kayakers.
    The silhouette of a poppy made by Laurent is nicely done. The very high contrast gives this image me a sense that it was shot in lith film.

Thank you to all who sent, and help create a portfolio of, nice images.

Regards,
    Darwin

6. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today (12/05) arrived another postcard to my postbox: Ozphoto's "Old Adalaide Gaol"

Very creative (and I'm glad to hear your niece is beginning to take interest in film photography).

Thanks for everything!

7. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Had a chance over the weekend to put together a list of the cards I've received this round - it was great to get some wonderful images in the postbox, instead of bills. :wink:
    • gdehann - Mozes en Aaronkerk; love those leading lines too!
    • rpavich - Old Car @ Christmas; my dad loved this one as well - we are in the process of restoring a 59 sports car, so this was timely.
    • Wayne Frederick - would love to visit this spot, I enjoy lighthouses, and seeing one with a dusting of snow would be *very* different.
    • labcoat - if you hadn't mentioned it was taken in Manhatten, I would never have guessed: not as many cars as I remember it!! :wink:
    • Randalcav - what a great scene, closest I've got to seeing Bison is in the local zoo.
    • mike c - as a lover of architecture (and shooting it for work) this is a great image that captures a style I hadn't expected in LA.
    • matt king - some wonderful dramatic side lighting to highlight that "knee" - love it!
    • Oxleyroad - well seen, I enjoy quirky subjects like this too.
    • iandvaag - interesting natural feature that draws the viewer into the image.
    • drpsilver - I would love to visit Death Valley at some stage, the remoteness and surprising photo opportunities inspire me.
    • LAG - another quirky shot for the round, my 5-year-old niece claimed this one for herself!
    • winger - a lovely still life, I agree with your neighbour wholeheartedly!
    • kraker - Your card made it to the current address. I loved my visit to Scotland so many years ago, your shot shows me why I need to return! :smile:
    • ShootAndLeaves - has been 40 years since I travelled to Freiburg, and it's still as lovely as I remember!
    • Sue Evans - Cornwall, such an enchanting place that I need to visit again soon, although sadly, not by bicycle. :smile:
    • John_A - A great subject on a very different style of "postcard", love it!!
    • Neil - Have been to Dorsett, but never Durdle Door - must add to the list definitely!
    • Laurent - my favourite card for this round, poignant and in time for Anzac Day.
    Thanks, everyone, it's been a marvellous round of postcards once again - looking forward to PCX41!!

8. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you!

9. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Since posting the above message I have received two more pictures, one mentioned above and one today received from 'Labcoat / Johannes'.

It's another well printed picture on 7" x 5" glossy RC paper, which is definitely growing on me! :smile:

The picture is a street scene of some quite unusual lamp posts, taken in Washing DC, which the sender says was taken whilst trying out a lens. He also says he liked it and I do to. :smile:

It's soooooooooooo great to receive prints from others, showing totally different pictures of things that one wouldn't usually take one self, but on the other hand it encourages me at least, to try taking pictures of stuff that I wouldn't usually. So thanks to all that have sent me pictures on my first round of joining this exchange.

Terry S

PS. So sorry to hear that you are losing your darkroom... I can't imagine this scenario... :sad: Hopefully a time will come when you will get a new one or even find a communal one that you can use. :smile:

10. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    And the wonderful cards keep being delivered! Today's delivery:

dphopscotch
    - a superb shot of Bowman Lake, which makes me want to visit!!

11. iandvaag

iandvaag Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, I had so much fun with this (my first APUG PCX) I received all 15 cards from those on my list. Thanks to everyone for their participation in this exchange. Thanks for the comments as well. Beautiful photos!

Sue Evans – I really like the framing of the photo by the grasses. Very crisp print with beautiful detail in the sky and the shadowy foreground.

Ozphoto – Two images for the price of one! The strong leading lines are striking in the first photo. The framing on the brick photo is nice – the visual “weight” of the letters feels balanced.

labcoat – Fabulous. The shutter speed chosen makes for the perfect amount of motion blur. The contrast between the dark bicycle/light pavement and white hair/dark buildings helps isolate the gentleman even more.

Neil – Awesome texture and detail. I love the “hidden” things you don’t immediately notice (the sailboat and the detail in the shadow of the rock.

Laurent – Really neat to hear about the details of the photo. I initially thought it might have been shot on film washi or something. The high contrast and texture is really interesting. The poppy’s stem looks very tenuous and delicate; hanging in the balance.

Randal – Very nice; feels very vast. I like how the cumulonimbus clouds in the sky are reminiscent of the shape of the bison below. A herd in the sky.

gdehaan – I really think that you printed with the appropriate contrast for the image, something with which I often struggle when using pushed film. Very strong b&w composition.

Matt King – DOF is perfect to isolate the subject yet keep the context clear. The lighting/range of tones is very impressive. The directional light from the side really sculpts the knee and gives it depth.

mikec – The reflection in the window panes gives some nice dapth to the arch. Impressive perspective control keeping line straight.

kraker – The wavy rungs of the fence echo the flowing water. Including the patch of sky at the top conveys the scale of the trees and river.

winger – The wood grain of the table and the texture of the book bindings is a nice juxtaposition. It doesn’t look contrived like my “still lifes” do when I try to position things.

Oxleyroad – Toning is very nice. Interesting how the contours of the cement surround the manhole. The time of day/lighting highlights (and shadows) the relief nicely.

Wayne Frederick – The elevation from which the photo was taken is perfect to show the contrasting snowy path against the trees and basaltic (?) rocks.

Drpsilver – I thought that this was perhaps taken ofn IR film before reading the description. The texture of the three layers of rocks are very distinct from one another. The geometry is nicely balanced.

David Dorcich – The moderate symmetry is very appealing to me. Beautiful clouds; great exposure.

Thanks all.

12. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    You may find yourself suddenly addicted to these - always some great images to be had!
    Glad you thoroughly enjoyed it. :smile:

13. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good evening,

over the long week-end and while I was away from home, I received two cards:

-an interesting and somewhat minimalist composition from labcoat, it's always puzziling to me how little it takes to make an image exist.
    - a view of Wardle Lock by David (from Harman tech service). I like the "tranche de vie" (life slice ?) there, with so many little actions happenning in several places. This also brings many memories as I've been a "lock operator" for two summers when I was (much) younger, and also because during this time I saw several of these so British (at least for me) "narrow boats".

Thank you !
    Laurent

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just received David at Harmon's card of the Wardle Lock, looks like it is located in a right pretty park, very nice. We have about the same kind of boats here, Keel Boats or River Boats are what they are here, think Mike Fink.

16. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    06 June 2017

I also just received a card from David Abberly at Harman Tech Service. This looks like a very nice place to photograph, and study engineering/hydrodynamics. The perspective of this photo gives one a sense of the size, and complexity, of the this lock. Nice photo, and nicely printed.

Regards,
    Darwin

17. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have Lags smiley tree trunk, or kind of stern smiley face , very nice texture in the bark.

18. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Five more Round 40 cards received since my last comment:
    ozphoto - "Old Adelaide Gaol" - an intriguing colour dyptich. Very nice, and highly appreciated
    labcoat - "tilting tree" - a fun image which I have guessed at an appropriate title for. I too am sorry that your darkroom access is interrupted. This older card is both interesting and very well printed.
    Sue Evans (Harman) - "Glimpse of the Sea" - a very strong image, and there is an added bonus on the back as well. I admire people who can combine photography with cycling.
    dphopscotch - "Bowman Lake" - beautiful, impressive and nicely printed.
    David (Harman) - "Wardle Lock" - a fascinating photo of really interesting old transport technology. I'm tempted to ask if this is how Ilford products are brought to market :wink:
    Thanks all - this has been an excellent round!

19. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Just found a card from David (Harman), that arrived last week - been under the weather so it slipped my mind.

I must agree with Matt - a great shot of old transportation. A canal was suggested here in Adelaide in the 1800s, to transport goods from the wharves to the CBD; it never got off the ground other than building the main road to a great width for traffic, the proposed canal and a railway line.

20. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Catching up, received a card for round 40 a while ago from David at HARMAN, a lovely scene taking place at and around the Shropshire Union Canal. I love how this mode of travelling slows you down to a relaxed tempo. Kind of like analog photography. Nice photo depicting a typical British scene (the type of boat, the width of the canal; I've not seen that outside the UK). Great, thank you for the postcard.

Only missing 3 now; checking back in this thread I see that others did receive cards from gijsbert and mike c. I haven't, that's probably some bad luck, some mishap at the postal services somewhere. Those things happen. Anyway, now moving ahead to round 41. Thanks for a great round, all!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.