Postcard Exchange Round 37 Comments and Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Feb 1, 2016.

1. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Mike, I don't actually have access to a darkroom here in BKK. I originally printed the group on Agfa MC in my darkroom back in AU and scanned at hi-res just in case I wanted to use them for anything.

I just dropped them off to my local lab for printing; I admit I was very surprised how well they turned out - I'm used to colour casts when I've previously attempted having prints made from negs. I'm guessing the fact they're in d*****l format helps.:smile:

2. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nanette, I also received your very interesting photo essay package in the mail yesterday. They're a very unique set of photos, and your story reminds me of the documentary I recently watched called "A Certain Kind of Death," which also was shot in Los Angeles (you can watch it in full on YouTube).

3. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Hey Rachelle, thanks for the heads up - will check that out! :smile:

4. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well they turned out rather well, like the whole concept of your efforts.

5. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Cheers Mike. Was nice o step outside the box for a personal project after shooting for clients - PCX is a bit of an escape for me to show my personal view of the world, rather than that requested by the client.

6. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    17 Apr 2016

Yesterday i received a small packet from ozphoto. A very interesting, and unsettling, project. When I first opened the envelope to see a small folder labeled with the Los Angeles Medical Examiner's office seal I was taken aback, but also interested in what it contained. I like the images you selected, they give a good overview of the environment, the tools, and the materials used. I like these projects that "break barriers" of what we think is presentable as art. Very well done. Even more cool is that this project was photographed with a Canon F1.

Regards,
    Darwin

7. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Thanks Darwin. Glad it intrigued you enough to open and explore, rather than toss into the trash. :wink:

Finding the "extras" was rather more challenging than I expected, but made for some interesting (morbid?) reading and opened my eyes to how the department works.

8. Black Dog

Black Dog Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've sent out all my cards-let me know if any go MIA-ta!

9. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received BlackDog's "gathering moments" yesterday. I can almost feel the atmosphere on the beach when you captured this, it's very close to my childhood memories or to what I live now with my son. Thanks!

10. Black Dog

Black Dog Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks-that was exactly the response I was hoping for!I took it in Normandy near Carteret.

11. mooseontheloose

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received Laurent's excellent low-key image in the mail the other day. I really like how the light curves around, shapes, and reflects off the machinery.

12. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is incredible! I had the feeling I knew the place, and it could really be the case. My mum was born 40km from Carteret, and we spend all our vacations in Saint Germain wur Ay.

13. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sent off my "Bucket of Cards" this morning.Hope nobody picks them going tru the mail.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Laurent's card arrived in BKK yesterday - lovely scene that evokes memories of my one and only visit to the French countryside as a 7 year old many years ago. Lovely and peaceful - so much the total opposite of the city I live in today!

16. Randalcav

Randalcav Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have received 3 cards in the last week. Laurent, I love how the stairs draw your eye into the scene and your angle of view adds to the intrigue. This is very well composed and printed. I love how you handled this high contrast scene. Nicely done. Black Dog, This card is very well done. I love how the long shadows don't detract from the scene, they add mood. Is the young girl spelling her name in the sand? The care free days of youth and the moments that we capture of our friends and family are images to cherish. Thanks for sharing this. Ozphoto, You have provided a very creative way to present a subject that we are all aware of, but don't give much thought to. The group of images you chose work well together. I love the dreamlike quality you captured in the entrance doors and the close up of the pattern on the scalpel handle. Thanks for the portfolio of images and taking the time to put this together. I love photojournalism and photographers who occasionally show us the way things really are in the world.

17. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Rachelle!

Thanks Nanette, glad it pleased you. I'd like to have a view of the same tree for every season, but it's a place where I do not travel so often.

Thanks! I was a bit disappointed that she climbed the stairs a tad too fast, I'd have like the lady to be a bit closer to the camera.

18. Black Dog

Black Dog Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was my niece at Carteret in Normandy-IIRC she was writing in the sand but I can't remember exactly what! Thanks for the appreciation.

19. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    28 April 2016

A card from mike c landed in my mailbox today. I really like the collection of tones and shapes that are in this daisy bed. I also like that you gave enough exposure to show tone/detail in the shadows below the flowers. It makes them appear to float above the dark background. The big negative (5x7) insured that the photo is sharp. Well done.

Regards,
    Darwin

20. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Hi Randalcav, thanks for your kind words.

It was an extremely interesting project, and I felt presenting it as an actual "Case" made it more personal. I enjoyed stepping away from photoshoots to prepare the accompanying documentation, and that in itself was yet another eye-opening experience into that world.

21. mike c

mike c Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Darwin, the hardest part was trying to balance on a step ladder and focus, it was well worth the effort I think.

Mike

22. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I've often wanted to do the same, but like you, the places always seem to be well out of the way and not easy to return to.

23. OP
    OP
    George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like we've had a great round. Now time to take a deep breath and say yes to round 38. Sign up is now open, the link is in my sig below.

24. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wait, a new round, already? I've received only about half of the cards so far. I hope there are still a few more to come.

25. mooseontheloose

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm waiting on 6 more (out of 18) - but they're all from regular participants, so I imagine the cards will just be a little late.

26. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... and it was well worth the effort! I received your card today, and the image is wonderful!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.