Postcard Exchange Round 36 Comments and Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy New Year and see you in Number 37!:wink:

2. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Rachel's great card arrived today - had me scratching my head until I turned it over to read your description (I think my neighbour thought I was nuts).:D

Love the effect and toning!

3. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Nanette!

Part of me wanted to write the entire description (and address) in a spiral to keep people guessing which way was up but I guess that really wouldn't work if I actually wanted the postcards to arrive at their destinations! I also tried it in lith last weekend, which gives it a different look, but I'll wait to post it in the gallery until most everyone has received their cards.

4. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I finally found a moment to go through all the cards I have received so far. Well, at least the ones that made to my desk after the rest of my family had a chance to enjoy them.

Here's the cards:

Mysterious unmarked black envelope from Australia without name or clear indication that it's related to this exchange (I assume it's from Stephen Frizza?)
    Extremely mysterious and cool. I assume this is a printing-out print. It seems to be very stable for that. Did you do anything special to stabilize it? Very cool!!!

"Bambo Skirts" from Mike. A Hawaiian dancing theme to the trees. I love it! Very unusual look for people in the western hemisphere.

Not one, but two postcards from Aaron:
    "The Descent". Great atmosphere and silhouettes of hikers! I just wish I was there hiking with you!
    "Reverance". An image of contemplation.

"1959 Porsche 356A" by Nanette. Two great muscle vehicles. A perfect combination of water and land power!

"Pump Station #4" by Anthony. You've got a great eye and excellent attention to detail. I love the texture of the house which is greatly highlighted by your toning technique. Excellent shot! I bet it looks amazing when enlarged bigger!

"Stripes of Autumn" by Randal. Light, shadows, leaves and a forgotten road. Great poetic image of the fall.

"Lotschental, Valais" from Darwin. Very picturesque image of mountains in Switzerland. I love the look and feel of the great fiber paper. There is always something special about it.

"Borogh Park" from Richard. Great balance of sharp metal gate and soft neighborhood street. You can imagine so much looking at this image!

"Colony Farm" by Matt. Retina IIIc, huh? I used to have this camera. I loved it. It is a real jewel! Nice shot of the park! I really should explore BC more one of these days. It is very beautiful, and reasonably close...

Architectural detail by Uwe. You have a great eye! We often go by such details on a daily basis and never notice. It really takes someone to slow down to see it.

"Greenbriar" by Bob. Great large format picture. The rocks are really 3-dimensional, and I love the leaf trails! You did a great job with getting high contrast.

I may have received more cards, just need to hunt them down in our house. If I do find them, I'll post more comments.

5. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also got Moose's card, could not figure it out tell I read it was a double exposure, which worked out well in that the statue is just kind of floating in the middle. ha ha nice one Moose.

6. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    > in a spiral to keep people guessing

Yes, this would have preserved my confusion! Thank you for that card, a very special one.

7. mooseontheloose

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :wink:

I guess, in retrospect, mailing them in an envelope would have been the way to go, that way I could have avoided writing anything on the back!

8. mooseontheloose

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In camera. I must have taken at least two rolls of film of this statue but when I shot with the Holga I thought I would try something different. I have tried the double exposure/inversion technique before (maybe once or twice in ten years of shooting one) but it's something I rarely do (and it's the only image I took like that during my entire trip). I didn't know what I was expecting, but the end result was much better that expected. The only thing I was thinking when I took the picture was to keep the statue exactly centred in my viewfinder, but I had no idea it would work out the way it did, with the folds of the fabric (and the arms and legs) blending into one another.

Here's a link to my cemetery blog: click. The feature image on the post is the same statue as normally seen (all images on the site were taken with my iPhone, eventually I would like to have a gallery of prints of images I took but it will take awhile before I can do that).

9. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Time for an update; the past weeks I have received:

randalcav's "Stripes of autumn", subject says it all. Great to look at, you captured the right atmosphere there.
    likemarlonbrando's "Bolt & Lock", love how the light just falls on part of the gate and lock; the sharpness of it, setting it apart from the background.
    megzdad81, "Greenbriar", what a great subject, well-captured, well-printed. Is there a way to tell whether mine is on MGIV FB or on old Polymax? Either way, it's a beautiful print on very nice paper.
    mooseontheloose, "Infinity", ominous, the "blob" in the middle. Well, a very detailed blob, but still, quite sinister (not the Italian word "sinister", though). Indeed, I keep turning it turning it turning it. No rest for the wicked. Great.

Great great, thanks to all! (Getting curious about the Stephen Frizza specialty which hasn't found its way to my door yet...)

10. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    16 Jan 2016

Two cards arrived over the pas t couple of days. The first from mooseonthloose "took me for a loop" until I read how she made the exposure. It took really looking at the image to see the symmetry in the image. You did a great job of matching the two exposures. I am impressed. So tell me what is the difference between a Holga 120S (which I have) and 120FN? Thank you for such a nice image, and an idea for shooting with my Holga.

The other card came from dpn. The film survived the wash quite well. It mush have been an interesting experience processing film with IR goggles. Where did you find a pair to use? This photo gives me the impression of being under water. Well done

Thank you to all for many nice image this round.

Regards,
    Darwin

11. mooseontheloose

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the comments Darwin!

As for the Holga, I believe the Holga 120S was one of the first basic models. Over the years, different models emerged with different features. The FN model has a built-in flash, but I don't use it. I don't use the 6x6 mask either, in any of my Holgas - it gets pulled out and the edges that would touch the film are taped over with electrician's tape (several layers, to get the level back up to where the mask would be). The camera also has a tripod mount, which I believe the S does not. But it's basically the same camera with the same useless aperture that does nothing.

There are lots of fun things to do and experiment with Holgas, which include: holgaramas, microclicks, double/multiple exposures, double exposure with inversion, etc. Flickr has a lot of examples. I started experimenting a bit last year but I hope to do more this year.

12. Randalcav

Randalcav Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I received moose on the loose, double exposure. A great idea and very well done. I had a chance to read your cemetery blog and see the floating statue in real life, as well. You did a great job printing this, i mean those images! The postcard size lends itself very well for experimentation. A fascinating image. Thanks.

"Dpn" has sent me the first image from his new photographic process that uses a washing machine with IR goggles. It seems like a lot of effort, but it proved to be worth it! Your ability to see things in macro and produce a nice image is evident. No wonder you went to all that trouble. This is another print that you can spin in any direction. Great work, the slight defects just remind you of your hard work to save this.

These two have inspired me to get my original Diana F camera out, do a double exposure and run the film through my Keurig coffee maker.

Great work,
    Randal

13. megzdad81

megzdad81 Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Kraker, thanks for the compliment, but we have to admit the water highlight was blown out. Every development is an adventure. If you can't read 'made by Kodak' on the back of the paper, then it was MGIV FB Classic. The Ilford stock is heavier.

Rachelle, your Holga image was another one of your classics.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    dpn's card arrived in BKK yesterday - and thankfully survived the awful storm we had!!! Great subject matter and I really do love the "alternative processing" you used too. :wink:

Your story reminded me of a photographer who ended up being dumped in a pool, with all the 120 he'd shot for the wedding in his pockets! Suffice to say, your result is most definitely the winner - his did *not* look quite as healthy; I've often wondered how it explained it all to the client . . . . . . :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
  16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you by chance mean the excellent card from "dpn":wink:?

17. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Darn autocorrect!!! :laugh:

18. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    dpn aka den's card also made it to the Netherlands (a few weeks ago, actually). Great story, things worked out fine for this negative. The black spots, well, that might just as well be earth or spores on the mushrooms. I'm sure most of the spots are actually just that. Great detail, I like it!

That makes 11 out of 16 received (including the card I sent to my own address). Hoping for a few more some time in the future, but in the meantime... moving on to round 37!

19. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just sharing for fun... After finishing my darkroom, I had some time for a much smaller DIY project. What you can do with half a liter of magnetic paint and a few evenings with one hour to spare on each (4-5 layers of paint):
    PE#36.jpg

Having shared this, now is the time to take the #36 photos off the board and start anew with #37.

20. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yesterday I received a nice card from Wayne Frederic, which shows a harbor scene. Tank you for that postcard and for your kind words.

21. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also got Wayne's card, it was late from an earlier PCE, nice card.

22. mooseontheloose

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wayne's card also made it to Japan - looks like a fun event to take part in and/or photograph.

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wayne's card arrived here as well. I'm glad I waited :smile:

24. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wayne's card made it to my home as well:

"Tugboat muster" by Wayne Frederic. You must be in a wrong Portland. I don't remember such a scenery on a Willamette river. Just kidding. Great shot. A lot of interesting things to study.