Postcard Exchange Round 36 Comments and Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Oct 5, 2015.

1. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thank you all,
    I hope to bring him home from the hospital this Wednesday if all things can be arranged on time (care, medication, oxygen, facilities, ...).
    I took a leave of absence from work for the rest of the year to be with him and my mother. I thank God for this extra time to be with him for a few more weeks or even days - whatever is given to us. He's very tired but his mind is still very clear. He has accepted the situation and wants to enjoy his last time at home.
    Thanks,
    Bert from Holland

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the very best to you Bert, and you too Rachelle...take care.

3. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Thinking of you both, Bert & Rachelle.

4. Randalcav

Randalcav Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Bert, take care of your dad. You are doing an admirable thing being there for him. Rachelle, get your health back and let things settle down. Getting postcards in this exchange is nice, but just connecting with you two on a personal level and sharing good photography, when we can, is more than enough.

5. Randalcav

Randalcav Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Richard I received your card. Thanks for the glimpse of the neighborhood and the connection to your grandfather. I love the lock on the fence, that try's to keep us out of a good photograph. I really like this perspective.
    Megzdad, To be able to deal with back surgeries and still hike into places to take great images like this is appreciated. You nailed this. I love the 18 year old polymax and getting a classic photo like this into my collection! Thanks

6. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got a postcard today but there is nothing written on it to identify who it came from,not even a whisper, or which PCE it was for. It came in a black envelope with a Australia post stamp, looking deeper and deeper into this void mystery, I had only one card being sent from Australia this 36th PCE, that being Steven Frizza. Photons were dispersed on Agfa postcard stock which has a poem printed into the void of alone and almost lost clouds and toned to a very light pinkish color, I will need more information, besides the poem, there is nothing, nothing.

7. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

8. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The card is mine. It's an unfixed lumen print on Agfa postcard stock. If the print is not kept in darkness the image will quite quickly disappear.

9. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AHH So that's the reason for the black out envelope, thats pretty cool Stephen, and it enlightens one to the significance of the poem, good one.

10. Randalcav

Randalcav Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I also received Stephen's lumen card this afternoon. My daughter took a photo of the card because she liked the message. I am quickly going to go put this back into the envelope. A very creative idea. Thanks.

11. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    22 Dc 2015

I also received Stephen Frizza's card. Cool message! When taking the "Experimental Photography" class at the local community college several years ago one of my colleagues introduced the class to lumen prints. I had a stock of "cooked" 11x14 paper that I donated to her efforts to "work with the technique". I also made several lumen prints, but have no idea on how to preserve the image, therefore they stay in the darkness of my flat file instead of being enjoyed.

So, my question is how does one "fix" the image so it will not print-out when exposed to light? Am I correct in assuming that a conventional hypo bath would dissolve the whole image, not just the unprinted-out background?

This is a really interesting process even though its images are transient.

Regards,
    Darwin

12. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I received Steven Frizza's card too. It remind me my solarography experiments.

> how does one "fix" the image ... that a conventional hypo bath would dissolve the whole image,

From my solarography experiments I know that fxing is a bad idea. There remains some of the image, but much weaker and much less of these fine colors. You may experiment with an photogramm done in normal sunlight, without developing. Try to fix it and look what happens.

13. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    22 Dec 2015

Uwe:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I did produce some lumen prints several years ago with flowers pressed against photo paper with glass. I can repeat some of these experiments and see what happens upon fixing with hypo. A photo project for spring!

Regards,
    Darwin

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have fpund some black and white papers work better than others when making lumen prints Kentmere fine art classic is a magnificent fiber based paper for making lumen prints. To fix them I simply put them in normal black and white paper fixer and the image changes from grey and purple to a wonderful straw and earthy brown colour. As for the agfa post card paper. I dont know what will happen if you try and fix them. The images were never meant to be permanent.

16. Randalcav

Randalcav Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    stephen I have decided to let my image take its course. After day 2 it has started to fade. I have put a couple coins on top of it to show my kids the way light will effect it. Tomorrow we will see the circles under the coins. Thanks for providing an image that they can learn something from.

17. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got my lumen card in yesterday. A very cool idea that I've never played with before... but I will now! Thanks :smile:

18. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My lettering on my card is nothing nothing now and the clouds have gone. Great card Stephen.

19. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Today I received the fine card megzdad81. i hope your will recover fast from your surgery. Thank you very much to print after such an event.

20. megzdad81

megzdad81 Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Uwe and all for the well wishes. My next few postcards may be very domestic as driving to the great outdoors is not yet too pleasurable. Happy holidays and peace to all. Please?

21. OP
    OP
    George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My cards went out last night/this morning! (depending on how you look at it)

23. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Happy New Year everyone!

Arrived home this morning at 02:00 to a number of postcards, which were very welcome!

Stephen's lumen card - I'm going to keep in the envelope and (hopefully) I can show my nieces how it works later this year.
    Richard's "Bolt & Lock" - nice to revisit the past.
    Randal's "Stripes of Autumn" - one of my favourite seasons.
    Xia Ke's "The Descent' - looks like a great spot for a hike, and I love the paper too. What is it?
    Xia Ke's"The Reverence' - my first thought was, "What a great inclusion in a maze!!"
    Matt King's "Colony Farm" - I'm loving the river scene immensely.
    Mike C's "Bamboo Skirts" - Kyoto is indeed beautiful, would love to return one day.D
    A. Delorenzo's "Pump Station #4" - great subject, lovely tonal range and the toning is perfect!
    Jake's Abstract, colour image keeps me looking deeper into it.
    Kraker's "Tree among Trees" is a great shot with the new 5x4 Wanderlust; I'm still working on adding a 5x4 to my stable - this gives me hope. :wink:
    Megzadad's "Greenbriar" is a wonderful, peaceful scene - I love the swirling movement of the leaves in the river. Hope you're feeling better really soon!

Here's to PCX #37!

24. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks oz :smile: It's Adorama Matte FB paper. Can't be beat for the price!

25. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Wow! Great price indeed - might need to order at some stage (as long as postage is fair). :wink:

Edit: Sadly the postage is $66, so such great price is murdered by (yet again!) outrageous shipping. :sad:

26. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OUCH! Yeah, that's a bit steep. I had picked up some in 4x6 to play around with for the PX. Santa was nice enough this year to leave some in 11x14 under the tree though, so looking forward to playing around with it a bit more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.