Postcard Exchange Round 35 Comments and Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Jun 2, 2015.

1. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I received dpn's card too and I was really enjoyed. Thank you!

2. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Posted my cards on Friday - hoping ThaiPost has them hitting your mailboxes soon!

3. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    All my cards are in the mail right now on its way to all parts of the world. :smile:

4. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    16 July 2015

I have finished printing my cards, and they are being pressed/flattened as I write. This round's prints were one BIG experiment for me. Therefore there is a lot of variation between prints. It was also a good learning experience, which is always a good thing.

I hope to have them in the mail early next week.

Regards,
    Darwin

5. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thanks, and when in Europe .... :wink:

6. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    21 July 2015

My cards are pressed and have postage affixed to them. I will drop them at the post office tomorrow so they can make their way to you. Hope you like my little experiment.:smile:

Regards,
    Darwin

7. megzdad81

megzdad81 Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    this weekend

8. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I must be mad for I'm already working on postcards for a future exchange :smile:

9. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Not alone there, ToadMen; I've already selected mine as well!:cool:

10. rthollenbeck

rthollenbeck Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Received a Post Card from DPN a few weeks ago. I going to start working on something. I'd like to participate in this on the next go round.

11. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    TheToadMen's card hit my mailbox today - the 4th card for this round.

I've never got quite this "up close and personal" to this particular subject - great shot!

12. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    :smile:

Thanks!

13. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got one yesterday,2 today and another about a week ago. dpn's card is great, cute girl, the Toadmen card is good also, if you don't have a handkerchief a tongue will d:blink:zphoto ,Ayutthaya 2007 a nice looking girl beside a Tibetan or Buddhist statue, and DRPSILVER's massive undertaking of producing large quantity's of beautiful blue clouds, (an that's a lot of work) . Got mine printed, just got to tone and address and send off. This dry spell has really slowed down darkroom work.

Mike

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Darwin's card arrived in the mailbox yesterday - great shot and I love the alternative processing; only tried this once myself in college, sadly not had a chance to do again since.

16. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I received Toadmans card. Great shot!
    I am fascinated of the cyanotype card from Darwin. I have a cyanotype set here at home, it was a gift from my wife. I treid it and I know what an amount of work it requires. And that for an exchage: Thank you very much.

17. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Today I found in my letter box a fine card from Marco SantaCruz, which portrays two dragonflies. My wife (a techer of biology) likes the card too. Thank you!

18. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Marco's card arrived today - a nice shot that one doesn't see every day.

19. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    05 Aug 2015

I finally get some time to comment on the wonderful cards I have received to-date. In no particular order, just how they are stacked in the folder.

A card from mesantcruz of two dragonflies mating. I can only imagine how difficult it was to focus, meter, and shoot in such a short period of time. These guys can be described as "perpetual motion machines".
    It took me a while to see what the photo from TheToadMan was. I like to humor in the image. The original albumen print must look beautiful.
    The portrait from ozphoto is nice on several levels: (1) good use of repeating patters (flesh vs. stone) and, (2) use of a format from the distant past (620 roll film). The area in which you were photographing looks quite beautiful.
    The card from dpn is well done, and straight from the 60's.
    The card from piu58 also has a bit of humor in it. I like how you maintained shadow detail in the photo. I also like the paper you used, the finish is matt, but not too matt.
    A nice photo of a lakeshore from Xia_Ke. Great contrast, and good shadow detail. The one lighter tree serves as a break in the line between sky and lake.

Thank you to all for the nice cards, and kind comments on my little cyanotype project.

Regards,
    Darwin

20. mesantacruz

mesantacruz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    dpn's "Neon Lady": i still have yet to visit this museum here. I love the all the information, and that lens seems pretty sharp!

thetoadman's "Deventer Albumen Print": i look at this print and i feel as if the subject fits the medium perfectly. I honestly do feel as if this is a look into an archive.

ozphoto's "Ayutthaya 2007" nice environmental portrait. I actually like the fogging that took place, it gives at the photo a feeling of "lost and found"

Uwe Pilz's "monument" : feels like a portrait, and i must say, that background truly lends it's self pretty well. I think you've done a splendid job, especially with exposing correctly. The paper is also very nice.

Xia_Ke "Porter Preserve": A beautiful scene captured with crisp detail, including the detail in the clouds. the reflections in the water also look wonderful.

Darwin's "Clouds, Stratford, TX": A cyanotype! wow, i'm glad to finally be able to hold one in my hands. I think this might even push me to try it out myself. I'm really happy to be able to see one up so close, and be able to come back to it! It actually reminds me of where i grew up, in El Paso, TX.

Thank you to all so far! I'm extremely happy to participate when i get a chance!

21. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the delay in chiming in to this thread. It's been a busy summer that's included a new job and lots of time on the trail :smile: Since my last post I have received the following cards:

Ozphoto "Ayutthaya" - A well-timed postcard! A little prior to receiving this card my wife and I had been going over our bucket list of places we wanted to visit and this was one of my submissions. Perhaps it's a sign? A shame the majority of the other shots were lost. Thanks for sharing!

Marco E "Mating Draginflies" - A great macro! Reminds me of days spent streamside in Maine watching life unfold. Many times have I tried to capture macros of dragonflies to no avail. Much respect for getting it and with an RB none-the-less!

Darwin "Clouds" - You tease me! I've been wanting to try some of these alt processes for quite some time now, yet just can't seem to get myself to take the plunge. Love how the clouds turned out! Perhaps it's time to get my feet wet???

TheToadMen "Tasty Boogie" (Sorry for the title, first thing that came to mind...lol) - This just makes me smile. A shot that I would never think of capturing myself. This is going up in my cubicle at work for those times when it gets crazy and I need a mental break!

22. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you both for the kind words :smile:

23. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thank you, Xia_Ke! You just made my day. :smile:

24. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    It may well be! It's a truly magical place - one I never tire of visiting. Doing a dinner cruise along the Chao Praya at dusk is a wonderful way to finish up a trip.

Thanks for your kind words - I'm pretty sure the best image survived; thankfully it was the first on the roll!!!!:D

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My cards are finally in the mail.

I've received a number of great cards and will comment as soon as I can.

26. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    megzdad81's card arrived on Saturday. Sounds like you have a similar problem to me - except they usually have several missing from the package *before* I even get home from the store!!! :wink: