Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuyuik
Recent bookmarks

jaimeb82

Format
Multi Format
This is really sad, Per was one of a kind, I met him in Tonopah when I didn't even know how to use my new 4x5 camera and he put me aside and game me one on one advice. He was always helping people around him and making intelligent jokes. I learned a lot about photography during his workshops, we would seat around Jim Galli living room and he will tell us stories about his trips to China all night long. Thanks to his teachings and to his art Per will always be with all of us.

fatkins

Format
Multi Format
Jim Fitzgerald called me early yesterday to relay the sad news. My reactions were all over the place from sadness to comfort in knowing Per's influence continues.
An early experience in Zion..Impromptu luncheon by the side of the road. Vinny cooked bratwursts, I offered chips and sweets...good conversation brewing while Per eyed the far rock wall, patiently waiting for the light to position itself just so.

Last edited by a moderator:

gandolfi

Format
Large Format Pan
Oh My. This is the saddest news in a long time for me.

I never met Per in person -he missed the APUG meeting a couple of years ago, here in Denmark.

But we had plans of meeting in january next year where he planned a big exhibition here...

We "talked" quite a lot on facebook chat, and I am going to miss him. He was so full of respect and humor.

Hvil i Fred, kære Per.

dbhathal

Format
Large Format
You are still in our thoughts

Just to say that we lost a great mentor and friend yesterday. Per Volquartz was a great artist in all meanings of the word. He was one of the greatest photographers of our time, as he was a precursor in the concept of “Embracing Minimalism”.

His search for the purity of the image from the graphic point of view was a great breakthrough in photography, as it followed the steps of the quasi-abstract images of Weston. Volquartz took this concept beyond his precurors, and was very successful by combining it with the feel and expression that can be attained by the medium of photography. In doing this, he conveyed the spontaneity of the image by emphasizing its texture in using his skills as a master printer. One has only to see his landscape images as they are unlike anything seen up to now.

His ideas went beyond the usage of the limits of the medium. He used the photographic equipment as elegantly as can be achieved by extracting the essence of the camera. He always insisted that technical proficiency is useless without recording the feeling that the image conveys to the viewer.

His graphic ideas while using the medium of photography elevated him to the level of the contemporary masters. He always made the analogy of photography being like the Greek God Janus, the God that has two faces. One of the faces is the technical side, the other the graphic. He insisted that these two should be combined, as most photographers either fall on one side of the art, the technical, or the other, the purely graphic. The art, as he stated, was in the perfect balance of both.

He was a great friend and a mentor to me. I was privileged to be with him for a very short time during his workshops. During these moments, he made me see the graphic value of images, to see the internal feeling that can be expressed through photography and more importantly, the value of exchanging ideas and sentiments with others. After all, photographs cannot live in a vacuum; otherwise they do not have any meaning. It is only by sharing with others our images that they become alive, that they have a reason for their existence.

I anticipate that all of his workshops will not cease due to his going, rather they are beginning. We cannot let his legacy fade away, as his discoveries are too important for the discipline of art. It is us that need now to carry the torch, to synthesize his teachings so that we can ourselves carry these inside of us and more importantly into the future. It is up to us to further develop and craft this new vision in photography.

Per Volquartz workshops were the incubator of a new tendency in art. He mentioned to me once in a Joshua Tree get-together that we have “an incestuous relationship with Ansel Adams and Edward Weston”and that it was time to get away from that. I am of the feeling that he would like us to continue experimenting and exploring the innumerable possibilities that can be achieved using the simple instrument that is a camera.

His legacy must continue as what he has given all of us is precious. It is only through us that his memory will live.

Diwan Bhathal.

lilmsmaggie

Format
Multi Format
As an Artist, Photographer, Illustrator, Friend; I will miss him deeply. But his legacy will remain and live long in the hearts and minds of those he touched.

Dwain

naeroscatu

Format
Multi Format
I've never met Per but I can get a feel of the person by looking at his work. Amazing artist. great loss for our community. RIP

snallan

Format
Multi Format
Sad news indeed, and a great loss. My condolences to his family and friends.

rpsawin

Format
Multi Format
Diwan,

Thank you for your thoughts expressed so eloquently. While there is a time to mourn, to acknowledge the loss, it will pass and what better way to celabrate Per's legacy than to continue the workshops...the gatherings.

Bob Sawin

light bear

Format
Multi Format
I am lost for words and still in shock on his passing. So unexpected. My condolences to Becky, Christian and Limo. It is such a great loss to his family, to the arts and photography community.

Not only he gave generously of his knowledge and skills in all areas of technical side of the photography, he gave of himself as an artist, mentor and person to all who he came into contact with, especially on the side that photography is about expressing the feeling, the meaning beyond what meets the eye. He is always available, open and of good spirits. He is humorous, warm, upbeat and encouraging. He is always respectful and yet stands firm on his belief. In the short of amount of time I have come to know him, he has been such a mentor, teacher, and friend. I miss him dearly. It is not only his work and teaching, but his person and life has shown me what it is to be a true artist/photographer.

I will forever cherish the one week one on one workshop with him back in 2010, all the emails and phone calls in between, all the wisdom he imparted, all the laughter together. The last thing we talked about was him trying to find compression socks before his trip to Yellow stone just 2 weeks ago. We joked that gaffers tap would do! We talked about the Santa Fe workshop this coming Oct; his plan of having a workshop up here in Washington next spring ... and field trip together to Denmark and Norway sometime. He showed me what he wants to take a picture of. He always has lots of ideas creatively, so full of life. What an example. I totally echo someone said earlier - we are the ones to carry on what he taught us through his work and his life. His spirit in experimenting, in seeing, in continuing to grow as a person and artist will continually be my inspiration.

As I have always thought that portraiture is off limit for me, too daunting, he took me through the process and break me into it just by doing, just one example how great a teacher he is. Here is one from the session we did. Him and limo - I am thankful that I had a chance to do that.

Not only Rest in peace, Per. I am sure you are now in a place full of light that you so dearly love.

Pei-Te

Attachments

• Per-and-Limo-2010.gif
    Per-and-Limo-2010.gif
    132.9 KB · Views: 67

mike c

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
Thats a very nice Portrait of Per and Limo Pei-Te, kind of wish I had taken more photo's of Per but that was not the purpose of his work shops.

Mike

johnsexton

Format
Large Format
I am shocked and deeply saddened to learn of Per’s passing. I first met Per thirty-five years ago when he was a participant at the 1976 Ansel Adams Yosemite Workshop. Per’s passion and dedication to photography are clearly visible in the beautiful body of work he leaves behind for us to enjoy. It is indeed a luminous legacy, and a wonderful gift he has given to us. In addition, his many students will continue to make images that will add to richness of our medium. My thoughts and prayers are with Per’s family, and his many friends.

c6h6o3

Format
Large Format
Just to say that we lost a great mentor and friend yesterday......

.......His legacy must continue as what he has given all of us is precious. It is only through us that his memory will live.

Diwan Bhathal.

I've never heard a better eulogy, Diwan.

mike c

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
On the way back to LA from 5 Church's Workshop.

Attachments

• Per & Per-moble_edited-1.jpg
    Per & Per-moble_edited-1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 55

light bear

Format
Multi Format
Thanks Mike. I did it in a portrait session with him last year during my 1-1 workshop, something I have never done before. It was an experience I will never forget.

LAB BLACK

Format
ULarge Format
...Per was the one who showed us the way. The world has lost a true visionary.
With deepest sympathies.
-
-

Hal Beesley

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
This was very sad news. Per was one of the kindest, most generous people I've met, and of course a wonderful photographer. I'm glad I was able to attend a few of his workshops.

blaze-on

Format
Multi Format
The service will be at 2 Pm on the 30th of July.

Cabots and Sons
300 North Fair Oaks
Pasadena CA 91105

If you are going to attend, please send me an email
Thanks

My email

rpsawin

Format
Multi Format

Cabots and Sons
300 North Fair Oaks
Pasadena CA 91105

Thanks

My email

I am unable to attend the Pasadena service but am planning on being on Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park at that time. I took Per's workshop there and have many fond memories of that experience. If anyone would like to join me e-mail me rpsphoto@comcast.net and I'll send you the specifics.

Bob Sawin

2F/2F

Format
Multi Format

Cabots and Sons
300 North Fair Oaks
Pasadena CA 91105

Thanks

My email

Thanks for the information. My family has used this funeral home for decades. It is a nice place. I would feel uncomfortable attending, as we were not close (and it is a rather small chapel), but I will send some flowers.

blaze-on

Format
Multi Format
From Per's son via Facebook:

Hello, My name is Christian Volquartz and I am the only living child of my father Per and mother Rebecca Volquartz.

My fathers sudden passing on Sunday has left my mother and I completely devastated and heartbroken beyond words. My father was a brilliant man with many talents and touched many lives.

The outpour of phone calls and visitors from all over the world has been nothing short of amazing. Per lived his life doing exactly what he loved to do. He lived his life to the fullest no matter the obstacles he faced.

My mother and I will continue to uphold his legacy within the art community.

We are asking for private donations to help with the medical expenses and funeral arrangements. Please click on this link to donate or copy and paste it into your browser.

DONATIONS

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom