Pentacon Six & Biometar 80 focus problem

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Tor-Einar Jarnbjo, Sep 11, 2017.

1. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good point. As I have never seen any fluid textile glue in any local shop.
    (Actually here are hardly any local shops left at all for textile working...)

But, wouldn't exchanging the whole cloth for apt, rubberized silk be the better solution?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. moto-uno

moto-uno Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Considering replacement p6 are going for a couple of hundred bucks , this is fast approaching a no win situation . A great reason for me to reconsider an Arax 60.
    Peter

3. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    According to Wiki the Pentacon Six was produced from 1956 to 1992. That's 62 to 26 years old. Rubberized cloth .007 inch thick (.1778 mm) is around $125 US a yard if you can find it.
    A 60+ year old camera I'd patch it, a 26 year old camera I'd send it to a shop for a new curtain IF there was little wear on the body. If the hole is punched and the fabric is folded over the fabric glue will be an easy fix. I started using it on Graflex Focal Plane Shutters and its very strong and durable.
    I have some small pieces of rubberized cloth used in shutters I'll mail for the cost of postage if needed.

4. OP
    OP
    Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been in contact today with a repair shop specializing in Pentacon service and they recommend to at least try to patch the old cloth. They offered to do the job for €15, and that is likely cheaper than what I had to pay for replacement parts should I try to do it myself.

If that fails, they also have replacement cloths in stock, but that will turn out a lot more expensive due to labour costs for disassembling and reassembling the camera.

5. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's a very good price. DIY materials if you don't have them on hand will be close in price and you must not create a bulge in the curtain at the repair.

6. OP
    OP
    Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Indeed. That even includes a guarantee on the patch. The quote for a replacement cloth was €148.75, for which I could easily get me a third Pentacon instead. It is at least worth a try with the patching and see how it works out.

7. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The only reason to replace a shutter curtain is if the base material has deteriorated to the point of not being able to hold up to the stress of normal use for a reasonable period of time.
    At least let them check it out and only do the patch if the curtain is sound. There may be a spring or other part that is out of position that punctured the curtain that won't be apparent to the inexperienced repair person.

Owning a second, non function body that the curtain is known to be good entertain the possibility of swapping the curtain from it into the weak curtain body if the curtain needs replacing. A third body may not be better than the two you have.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know. I could easily have bought a new Arax 60 for the effort I spent on my 'old' Pentacon during the last year (perhaps even two or three new Araxes).

I didn't, simply because they look ugly.

9. bernard_L

bernard_L Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. OP
    OP
    Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format