Latest member
Agreenier
Recent bookmarks

M. Lointain

Shooter
Multi Format
I was not aware that ORWO just launched their North American distribution:
http://www.orwona.com/
I contacted them and received ultra fast friendly reply. They also have in stock 100' rolls of their BW negative films!!!
I'm in!!

Where did you see the 100' rolls? I only see the 400' on their website.

frobozz

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Wow, their 16mm and 35mm is the same price?! That's crazy. But crazy GOOD if you're shooting 35mm 'cause the 16mm price is about the same as Kodak's price for Double-X, which means the 35mm is half the price! I might have to try some of that...

Duncan

kb3lms

Shooter
35mm
$75 for 400 ft? That doesn't seem too bad.

OP
OP
cmo

cmo

Shooter
35mm RF
It looks like $138.30 plus $10.00 shipping for 35mm/400ft.

--------
Here are my preliminary times for XTol 1:1, 'Kodak agitation':

UN54 7-8 min.

N74 11-13 min.

Diafine:

UN54 3+3 - 4+4 min.

N74 3+3 - 4+4 min.

These times are for rotation development, not from me but tested:

D76 1+1, 20°C Rotation, 5:00, 7:00, 9:00, 12:00

CI UN54: 0.50, 0.60, 0.66, 0.79
CI N74: 0.43, 0.52, 0.56, 0.63

DS-10 1+1, 24°C (!) Rotation, 5:00, 7:00, 9:00, 12:00

CI UN54: 0.38, 0.58, 0.65, 0.84
CI N74: 0.46, 0.56, 0.67, 0.86

frobozz

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
It looks like $138.30 plus $10.00 shipping for 35mm/400ft.

Oh haha, I see what happens - when you choose 35mm it changes the price! Makes sense of course, but the way the web page is set up it looks like it's the same price either size.

OK, so this stuff is a few dollars less than Double-X, and of course the lower speed stuff is available whereas Kodak's Plus-X isn't, so this should be a real boon to B&W filmmakers here in the US!

Duncan

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
Ahh yes I saw that $138 just yesterday when I sat down to order it from that site. I think I'll still go ahead with it. I have the Alden loader that takes 200ft, so I'll just have to re-spool it once.

erikg

Shooter
Multi Format
400ft is the better deal, IF you like it and want to shoot that much. I'm tempted.

frobozz

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Most 35mm movie film, when supplied in 100 ft lengths, is on a camera spool instead of a core. If that's the case, some bulk loaders have trouble with the dimensions of that. For instance the Lloyd's loader will just barely accept the diameter of the spool, but you can't quite cinch the lid screw down all the way or the ribs on the lid press against the spool and keep it from turning. Just keep that in mind if you order this and it comes on a spool. (Lots of Fuji bulk slide film comes this way, which why I'm familiar with it.)

Duncan

Jerevan

Shooter
Large Format
I looked at Dancan, the danish agent (which is located in the Canary Islands, talk about confusing the geography!) but couldn't find any prices. Is it possible to get somewhere else, like in Germany?

OP
OP
cmo

cmo

Shooter
35mm RF
The manufacturer Filmotec sells directly, that's where I purchased my rolls. I contacted them by email to their sales director, it's on filmotec.de, I think.

pschauss

Most 35mm movie film, when supplied in 100 ft lengths, is on a camera spool instead of a core. If that's the case, some bulk loaders have trouble with the dimensions of that. For instance the Lloyd's loader will just barely accept the diameter of the spool, but you can't quite cinch the lid screw down all the way or the ribs on the lid press against the spool and keep it from turning. Just keep that in mind if you order this and it comes on a spool. (Lots of Fuji bulk slide film comes this way, which why I'm familiar with it.)

Duncan

I just received my order of 100' of UN54. It came on a core (with no sides on it), not on a spool and it fit easily into my Watson bulk loader. I did have to insert the core which came with my Watson loader because the hole in the core was 1" in diameter.

frobozz

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
OK, that's good news for still shooting bulk loaders, but might surprise a movie shooter who expects a 100-foot roll to come on a camera spool. But they'll cope, since they're used to dealing with core-loaded film and can just transfer it to a spare camera spool they have kicking around.

Interestingly, I've been spooling down longer bits of movie film into 100 foot chunks to use in a bulk loader, and I can't quite get a full 100 feet onto one of those cores with the 1" center hole and still get it to fit into my Lloyd's bulk loader. (Maybe the Watson chamber is bigger?) The standard cores used for 100 foot rolls of still film have a smaller diameter (about 1") and so by the time you get 100 feet on it it still fits nicely in the Lloyd's loader...but I can't use those small cores on my split reels so I have to use the bigger ones and just accept that it's only 95 or so feet on the roll.

Duncan

Jerevan

Shooter
Large Format
The manufacturer Filmotec sells directly, that's where I purchased my rolls. I contacted them by email to their sales director, it's on filmotec.de, I think.

Thanks, I'll send them an email to see if I can get some from the source.

OP
OP
cmo

cmo

Shooter
35mm RF
OK, that's good news for still shooting bulk loaders, but might surprise a movie shooter who expects a 100-foot roll to come on a camera spool.

They call that a 'short end' :whistling:

Talking about film loaders, first of all they are not mandatory. Many people use two nails on a wall to measure the right length in the dark. Regarding good film loaders, most of them are so-so. I have three "Deutgen Füllfix" loaders, and they are the only ones with a precise frame counter.

cmacd123

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
They call that a 'short end' :whistling:

I have bought "short end" movie film, and the dealer actually had it wound on a "camera Spool" (in 35mm)

The movie folks would of course have to re-roll the film twice to get it from a core to a spool, as they use the footage numbers to edit the film later, and with the electronic editing software the numbers have to be ascending.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I got 200ft of N75 in the mail; I'll check it out today.

cmacd123

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
hope so...

Is anyone going to post any photos taken with either film??

Is anyone going to post any photos taken with either film??

This thread just opened up the avialablity of this stuff in North America. It has been sold direct from the factory, but that is not very easy to deal-with with for a photographer who just wants one roll to try.

I see the First sensometric test was posted on another thread on APUG today. No doubt actual images will come in time.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
This thread just opened up the avialablity of this stuff in North America. It has been sold direct from the factory, but that is not very easy to deal-with with for a photographer who just wants one roll to try.

I see the First sensometric test was posted on another thread on APUG today. No doubt actual images will come in time.

Posted here: (there was a url link here which no longer exists)

pschauss

Here are some samples of UN54 developed in Rodinal 1+50 for 8:00.

Attachments

• Barn.jpg
    Barn.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 317
  • Dock.jpg
    Dock.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 326
  • Great South Bay.jpg
    Great South Bay.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 258
  • West Marina.jpg
    West Marina.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 268
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom