OM 4Ti Troubles

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by bimmey, Dec 24, 2017.

1. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like you say it's still a lot of dough when you consider it takes the same quality photos as an any other OM which can be 1/10th the price or less. OM2ɴ is a good choice. It uses the readily-available SR44/PX76 (etc) batteries rather than zinc-air (OM-1) and has the detachable hotshot which depending on your point of view is either a benefit or a curse. Bear in mind though, it's still very much an electronic camera unlike the OM-1 and OM-3, so might die in very cold temperatures if the batteries temporarily give up.

2. zanxion72

zanxion72 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Treat it with care and it will serve you for long. In extreme conditions, just a little care might save you from dead circuitry.

By no luck OM-4 and OM-4ti are still expensive. They offer things that not many do. Personally I love them for the diopter adjustment on their viewfinder and for their ability for multi-spot metering. I own a champagne colored OM-4Ti and I love it. It is just that the OM-2n is easier to be replaced it turns out badly and hence I use it more.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  3. foc

foc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I shot professionally with an OM4ti for 10 years in the late 1980's and only once had trouble with the camera, at a wedding in very cold weather. The power just stopped just a few minutes after we came out of the church. Second set of batteries just lasted 5 minutes and the last spare set I had, kept inside my jacket until we got to the hotel. You can shoot on manual (no power pure mechanical) at 1/60 setting if really stuck.

The second set of batteries came back to life briefly after sitting in my pocket for a while but I made sure I always carried 5 pair of spare batteries after that.

4. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    You might look into CR1/3N 3V lithium battery as they work much better in extreme weather conditions of hot or cold. They do cost more then the silver oxides.

OM3's can be pricey and they do seem uncommon. I happen to be on KEH when one was listed "AS IS NOT WORKING" so I took a chance. It was in great cosmetic shape which is why it was still a little pricey for an AS IS. I tried out the mechanical functions and everything seemed ok and that was all I wanted it for but was pleasantly surprised to find it fully functional and accurate when I installed batteries! And it doesn't have the battery drain problem.

[​IMG]

5. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Jesus...almost a war story.!
    Well Done Sir..... :smile:

6. OP
    OP
    bimmey

bimmey Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The credit to solving my OM 4TI issue goes to Matt King. As I was packing the camera up to go out for repair, I decided to take the chance the new battery's were bad out of the pack and replaced them with ones from a different source. WaLa. The camera came back to life. Matt saved me time , money and embarrassment. Thanks.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad I helped!

8. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ppppfffftt.......It's a Canadian Conspiracy..... (that has a nice ring to it.!).
    They help you with a generic camera question; all the while they are Lobbing ice-balls of frozen slush and acid rain (i have No Idea where the acid came from) down on us from North Of The Border. :smile:

9. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a cheap voltmeter I keep in my camera toolbox, I paid a couple of dollars for it. It tells me instantly if a battery is okay or not-- I have had plenty of duds and it keeps me from chasing my tail. Glad your OM4 is up and running!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.