OM 4Ti Troubles

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by bimmey, Dec 24, 2017.

1. bimmey

bimmey Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was out shooting the glaze of ice covering everything when my OM 4Ti locked up. Put it into "B" mode and realesed the mirror from lock up. It appeared to have no power as nothing showed up in auto or manual. Changed the battery's, cleaned the contacts and still nothing. Camera worked for three or four shots before quitting.

Since it's too late to ask Santa for a replacement, I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience and hopefully a do it yourself fix.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
    Steve

2. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make sue all the screws are tight in the base plate, but otherwise does sound like it could be a power related issue such as bad solder joint from the battery compartment.

3. OP
    OP
    bimmey

bimmey Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks OlyMan. Base plate is tight. Guess I'll have to pull off the base plate and check the joints.

4. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never needed to pull an OM4 apart so I don't know how complicated the wiring is. But with the camera suddenly dead I'm thinking it must be something quite simple. If it was malfunctioning, that could be an IC failure. But when something's just completely dead, it's usually quite simple (I hope). When you put it back together, remember that the baseplate is an integral part of the circuitry (the +1.5V is sent through the battery cap) so the screws need to be tight.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't discount the possibility of new batteries being dead right out of the package.

6. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes for my OM-4, in the snow or cold I keep two pair of spares in my pocket to keep them warm, and another three pair deep in the pack where they are somewhat insulated.

Very often the first pair dies right away, then the second pair works.

I do occasionally remove the baseplate and tripod mount, clean the metal to metal surfaces and re-assemble. That's not complicated surgery and it seems to help.

7. zanxion72

zanxion72 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess that new/fresh batteries have been tried. Besides that my OM-4Ti does not do well in sub-zero temperatures. Although it is supposed to eat up the batteries through 5-6 shots, other times it stops working and as if magic it comes back to life after bringing into warm again.

8. OP
    OP
    bimmey

bimmey Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Checked the new batteries and they are fine. Pulled the bottom off and noticed the battery compartment is a plastic cup with the power line exiting the bottom. Further disassembly of the camera will be required. I cleaned the non anodized part of the body, but noticed the inside of the base plate is anodized. So I cleaned the thread for the battery cap hoping that was the problem. No luck.

Thanks Bill and zanxion72 for reminding me about the cold weather issues with the OM 4Ti. It's been -6 to -10 degrees C the last few days. This might be the nudge to get an OM 3 and bring a light meter in my pocket for cold weather.

9. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't see it being cold related otherwise it would have sprung to life again as it got warm. If you want a mechanical body on which to fit OM lenses while using an external meter, forget the OM3 and the disproportionate collectors' prices it brings and buy an OM1 instead. With the OM3's elaborate metering system taken out of the equation, the only real difference between them is the OM3's 1/2000th shutter speed, which I'm guessing you won't miss in the middle of winter.

10. OP
    OP
    bimmey

bimmey Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is sound reasoning. Also having a light meter in my pocket would mitigate battery's going dead in the cold. However I rarely use reason when making camera purchases. That's why my other 35mm camera is a Contax RTS, with the same focal length lenses as my OM kit. Although the OM1 has nostalgic value (first 35mm camera I shot with), this just might be the reason, irrational as it is, for getting the OM 3 I've lusted for so long.

I do appreciate you trying to save me from myself.

11. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I kind of figured you were itching for an OM3. :smile:

12. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I gave up on getting an OM-3 and went for an OM-4 that had been to John Hermanson for CLA. Just saying, it might be OK to do a straight replacement so long as you have some assurance that it will work.

13. OP
    OP
    bimmey

bimmey Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is the rub. No guarantee a used OM 3 would not need an overhaul in the near future. Was thinking of the OM 3 as a companion camera for my OM 4Ti. Then again I would feel very foolish if I bought an OM 3 and have someone say"you could have overhauled your OM 4Ti and bought a Zuiko 21mm 2.0 for what you paid for that camera".

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think you might be going in the right direction. Sometimes the cleaning doesn’t “take”. Remember the electricity has to get from chassis to baseplate. That’s why I include pulling and cleaning the tripod socket unit when trying to get a good connection. I never was brave enough to remove the battery compartment itself though I have a spare in case it becomes necessary one day.

16. Ken N

Ken N Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What specific model of batteries were you using? The wrong type will give you next to no useful life in cold weather.

17. OP
    OP
    bimmey

bimmey Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The battery's are Duracell Photo 76s. I was out shooting with the camera at -15C temps a couple of weeks ago without problems. You are correct about certain brands. I've been out for long times around 0C and had the battery die only to revive once the camera warmed up.

18. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's the rub. Don't get me wrong I'd love an OM3 too, but sometimes I have to remind myself that this is analog photography, where the image quality of say an OM10 and an OM3Ti will be more or less identical with the same lens and film despite the fact the 3Ti could cost me 100x more to buy. That's usually enough to drag me back to reality.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  19. OP
    OP
    bimmey

bimmey Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was coming back to reality then Ken N shows up with that avatar of his:smile:

20. zanxion72

zanxion72 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try an OM-2n. For a lot less than an OM-4 or OM-3, but equally good with an excellent viewfinder. I still love my OM-4ti, but I trust my OM-2n a lot more. Get one with that lovely brown never ready case (removing the top of a never ready case transforms it to a wonderful ever ready half case).

21. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why do you trust your OM2n more than your OM4Ti?

22. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lol! There's a really tidy one on eBay at the moment from Japan. Think it's about $2000 or thereabouts (certainly will be by the time I've paid import tax on it, were I to buy it). Looks nice but for best part of $2k it isn't even truly 'new in box', and the same money will keep me in film+processing for about 20 years. By then I'll be too old to care.

23. OP
    OP
    bimmey

bimmey Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the OM cameras were more popular in the UK then here in the States. They seldom show up on craigslist or at yard sales. KEH has a nice OM 3Ti for $1500. And since I live in New Hampshire there is no tax. It's been on their sight for about a year with the price steadily going down. However I doubt it will ever go down enough for me to make the purchase. As you pointed out, that's a lifetime of film, chemicals, paper, and some nice glass.

The OM 2n zanxion 72 suggests is worth a look at.

24. zanxion72

zanxion72 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By design, actually an improved OM-2, it has been proven to be reliable with simple electronics that just work. OM-4 has not been renowned for the longevity of its electronics. OM-4ti has improved by quite a bit, but eventually things start to collapse starting with LCD bleeding in the viewfinder.

25. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I have a ways to go before I get to eventually with my OM4Ti. My OM4 still works fine too, though I have to replace the batteries every 4-6 months. It's a fair trade-off for spot metering.

26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both an OM-4T (as it is known here) and an OM-2n. In addition to the fancier metering on the OM-4T, I like the fixed hot shoe, the adjustable eyesight diopter, and the connection for the special Olympus synch cords - great if you have Olympus flashes.