Olympus OM-3

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by CMoore, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Armandillo

Armandillo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have alwys liked Olympus cameras but after looking at the prices of the OM-3, I am glad I went with the Nikon FM2n. I prefer mechanical shutter cameras and the OM-3 would be a logical choice for me. The FM2ns are plentiful. Consequently, if something happened to one of my bodies and I needed to replace it, it would not cost an arm and a leg.

2. Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I don’t know about the OM-3 but I have an OM3-Ti and 4 OM4-TI’s. Nice cameras but I’m not really that convinced about all the fuss about “mechanical”. They all work very nicely.

3. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Changing shutter speed by 1EV, while altering aperture by -1EV (or vice versa)...Hasselblad had that, too.

4. Armandillo

Armandillo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I did not mean that electronic shutter cameras, including the OM-4-Ti, cannot work nicely or take great pictures. I own a few electronic shutter cameras myself. I just prefer mechanical shutter cameras because they are non-battery dependent; the camera does not turn into a paper weight if the batteries die. In the long run, mechanical cameras are more durable or reliable. If a part fails on an older electronic shutter camera, chances are the camera will not be repairable. With a mechanical shutter camera, there is a much greater chance it can be repaired. On a more intangible level, I prefer the feel and sound of mechanical shutter cameras. A mechanical camera feels like a precision instrument; an electronic shutter camera feels more like an applicance. This is somewhat analogous to a car with a stick shift vs. a car with an automatic. This is just my personal preference and to each his own.

5. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly. You are certainly not alone in these thoughts or preferences.

6. Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I agree, which is why I have an OM3-Ti but although the camera will work at all shutter speeds without batteries (or if the electronics fail) it does lose its multi-spot metering. The OM4-Ti can operate at one shutter speed without batteries (mechanical 1/60s) so it does not become completely useless. The mechanical 1/60 has enabled me to carry on several times in conditions of extreme cold or when I have stupidly forgotten to pack spare batteries.

As an owner of and OM3-Ti and (too many) OM4-Ti's I do wonder whether the very significant premium of the mechanical OM3-Ti is really justified. It is a joy to use of that there is no doubt.

PS I know this thread is really about the earlier OM-3

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.