Olympus OM-3

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by CMoore, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Armandillo

Armandillo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have alwys liked Olympus cameras but after looking at the prices of the OM-3, I am glad I went with the Nikon FM2n. I prefer mechanical shutter cameras and the OM-3 would be a logical choice for me. The FM2ns are plentiful. Consequently, if something happened to one of my bodies and I needed to replace it, it would not cost an arm and a leg.

2. Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I don’t know about the OM-3 but I have an OM3-Ti and 4 OM4-TI’s. Nice cameras but I’m not really that convinced about all the fuss about “mechanical”. They all work very nicely.

3. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Changing shutter speed by 1EV, while altering aperture by -1EV (or vice versa)...Hasselblad had that, too.

4. Armandillo

Armandillo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I did not mean that electronic shutter cameras, including the OM-4-Ti, cannot work nicely or take great pictures. I own a few electronic shutter cameras myself. I just prefer mechanical shutter cameras because they are non-battery dependent; the camera does not turn into a paper weight if the batteries die. In the long run, mechanical cameras are more durable or reliable. If a part fails on an older electronic shutter camera, chances are the camera will not be repairable. With a mechanical shutter camera, there is a much greater chance it can be repaired. On a more intangible level, I prefer the feel and sound of mechanical shutter cameras. A mechanical camera feels like a precision instrument; an electronic shutter camera feels more like an applicance. This is somewhat analogous to a car with a stick shift vs. a car with an automatic. This is just my personal preference and to each his own.

5. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly. You are certainly not alone in these thoughts or preferences.

6. Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I agree, which is why I have an OM3-Ti but although the camera will work at all shutter speeds without batteries (or if the electronics fail) it does lose its multi-spot metering. The OM4-Ti can operate at one shutter speed without batteries (mechanical 1/60s) so it does not become completely useless. The mechanical 1/60 has enabled me to carry on several times in conditions of extreme cold or when I have stupidly forgotten to pack spare batteries.

As an owner of and OM3-Ti and (too many) OM4-Ti's I do wonder whether the very significant premium of the mechanical OM3-Ti is really justified. It is a joy to use of that there is no doubt.

PS I know this thread is really about the earlier OM-3

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018