Olympus 35RC?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by z a n e, Aug 9, 2015.

1. z a n e

z a n e Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anyone have an experience with one? Yay? Nay?

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Had one for a while. Got it for $10 off eBay. That was before Ken Rockwell "made it famous". Great little pocket camera. Make sure the screw that holds the self-timer lever on is good and tight.

4. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG z a n e :smile:.
    I had one - for everyday carrying situations when Leica is too heavy and big, but sold it (with a nice profit). It is small and nice - but XA(2) and Mju are more pocket-able for me.

5. Bateleur

Bateleur Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very much Yay and then some, it is a fabulous camera and capable of fine results.

6. OP
    OP
    z a n e

z a n e Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    well I just pulled the trigger on one. I'm really thinking I'm gonna love it!

7. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats and welcome to APUG.

8. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    They are great little cameras but with one stupid flaw if you use filters or lens hoods. The filter size is 43.5mm, almost unobtainable.
    So here is what I did. I looked on ebay for a 43.5mm to 43mm step-down ring, a few bucks from China. It fits fine and does not block the meter window. Now all my 43mm filters and lens accessories will fit my RC and 43mm is 10X easier to find than 43.5mm. Just FYI.

I also ordered a short metal lens hood for mine at the same time. Looks really neat, provides some protection for the lens and was also inexpensive.

9. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Excellent cameras. The relatively crude metering is surprisingly good, the lens capable of fine results and construction sturdy. I keep mine loaded with Ilford HP5 and leave an orange filter on it semi-permanently. I've sometimes been tempted by a 35RD but some of its appeal is lost because of the greater bulk of the lens compared to the RC.

Enjoy it!

Steve

10. klownshed

klownshed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a 43.5 to 49mm step up ring so i can share filters with most of my OM lenses. Not quite so nice looking but effective.

11. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Well you see, I already had a Pen F, with several of their lenses taking 43mm and a Pen D that is also 43mm. So I already had a bunch of 43mm filters, hoods and plus diopter close up lenses on hand.

12. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice camera. I wanted one for long time but instead found a Voigtlander VF101 which is slightly smaller, comparable, and takes 49mm filters, so take a look at it as well.

13. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First time I hear about this one, search in net shows it is a great little jewel :smile:.
    I am waiting for a Ricoh 500 G (got it cheap because only works in manual mode) that will replace Mju as everyday camera.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Note that it is also found as the Zeiss Ikon S 312.

16. Keith Selmes

Keith Selmes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35Rc is an old favourite, definitely a keeper.

17. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got my 35RC at a car boot sale for £3 ($2 ?), and it only needed a new battery. Since then I've spent nearly 800% more on it by getting an insert so it will take modern batteries and convert them to the correct voltage. But it is well worth it, the lens is super sharp, the rangefinder image is 'ok', and it has a weight that makes it feel like a dependable solid worker.

Steve

18. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Steve,

For mine I found that an SR44 silver oxide cell fitted straight in with no need for any physical mods. Any exposure difference caused by the small difference in voltage was not significant for my B/W use. Exposure adjustment is effected by loosening two screws and rotating the whole galvanometer, which I was prepared to do but the results from my first roll of film were so good (despite the relatively crude exposure system) that I left well alone.

I'd acquired it for nothing with a dead meter but all that was needed was resoldering the wire to the battery holder. The leatherette covering was a bit manky, so I replaced it with the bottle green version from Camera Leather. As you say, it feels very solid.

Best wishes,

Steve

19. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Steve, it was a series of SR44 failures that made me try the alternative (although the adapter does fit other cameras I own so it's not such an extravagant purchase). The SR44 batteries would last a couple of weeks then die even if unused with the camera switched off. I thought about it being a short circuit but after getting the adapter that takes D386 cells it is still on that battery after over a year of semi regular use. Maybe something was joggled inside and that stopped it draining, I don't know.

Steve

20. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Steve, It does sound to me as if other forces were at work with your SR44s. I've had the same cell in there since I resurrected the camera three or four years ago. I rarely remember to switch it off but do usually stick it straight back in its case, so it's in darkness and I guess the current flowing in the metering circuit must be next to nothing. I wish I could say that it's the correct 35RC case, but sadly it's not - just one that happens to fit well!

I have many happy memories of the Peak District - Winnat's Pass, Magpie Mine, Castleton and, of course, I've sampled the delights of Bakewell's tarts!!!

Steve

21. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd recommend as an alternative the Olympus half frame cameras. I love the Olympus Pen S. Also the EES-2 is just superb in portability and easiness of operation. Depth of field is 1 stop better than full frame so you don't really need a rangefinder.

22. Gimenosaiz

Gimenosaiz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello!
    I've the 35RC and the 35SP ... the latter is better for sure (from a datasheet point of view), but the one I most use is the little gem ;-)

Regards

23. klownshed

klownshed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have an SP. And an LC!

The LC is really big and whilst it takes lovely photos doesn't get out much.

My SP is nothing but trouble. The meter is dead (photocell totally corroded). It worked fine in manual mode for a while but now the rewind switch is stuck so I can't wind on.

The RC just keeps working and appearance wise isn't as 'mint' as the SP.

when it works though, the SPs lens is a step up from the RC.

And having said all of that, of my compact 35mm cameras, it's the XA-2 that gets all the use.

24. avalladares7439

avalladares7439 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would a LR 44 alkaline battery work in the Olympus RC?

25. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your meter will be off. Go to Walgreens or the equivalent and get the 1.33 V zinc air battery that's same size as the LR44.

26. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    2CD67C6B-B316-4B4E-99E4-7FAE68EFF0B7.jpeg My little Oly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.