Official : Kodak P3200 Tmax is back

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Minoltafan2904, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    never used it but I will now!! someone should post best way to develop and expose please

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! I loved the film, this is the news of the month, at least :smile:!

Here are couple of examples in Rodinal 1+25, with strong agitation, to get even more pronounced grain:

Dead Link Removed
    Dead Link Removed
    Dead Link Removed
    Dead Link Removed

4. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Great news! I loved this film and the results I got with it - looking forward to stocking up in March!!:smile::smile:

5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It seems to have dropped in speed. Emulsive quotes the speed as 800. In the last few days I had seen 1250 quoted - not from Kodak I hasten to add. However it is news to me that Kodak(assuming Emulsive have got it correct) is 200 slower than D3200. I always thought it was the same speed

Price will be key. K diehards may buy it at any premium but unless it competes against D3200 I'd worry about its overall viability. The other issue is that unless Ilford cannot make enough of its D3200 to keep up with demand then it suggests we are close to the limit of fast B&W sales so the market now becomes shared - not ideal for either company I would have thought.

Best case scenario is that there are loads of people who simply dropped their use of fast B&W when Kodak dropped P3200 as it was Kodak or nothing and they will swell the market-place

pentaxuser

6. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's ISO800. See link below.

http://imaging.kodakalaris.com/professional-photographers/photographers/professional-films

Edit: Ok, there are conflicting numbers on the web site. The above link says ISO800, while the one below says ISO1000.

http://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites/prod/files/files/products/F4001.pdf

7. trendland

trendland Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  8. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actual ISO is 800 in D-76, up to 2/3 stop higher in XTOL or some PQ developers. Delta 3200 is 1000 in ID-11/ D-76. No change in specification from previous production as far as can be told.

9. OP
    OP
    Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess haha

10. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, this dilutes Ilford's product line for sure. Just watch how many here say they are immediate customers for this "new" film.

It would have been better if any new film appearing directly competed with Fujifilm, since they are intent on leaving the film market.

11. Meyer Trioplan

Meyer Trioplan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Panatomic-X would have been more my personal speed, but I am definitely glad to see this and want to give it a try!

12. OP
    OP
    Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the emulsion is the same as the old stuff, people disagreed on the actual sensitivity of TMZ.
    In 1989 when it came out PopPhoto tested it and they said it was between 1000-1250 ISO.

13. trendland

trendland Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes that might be a good rating. But we all should not wonder about a little better characteristics of reintroduced Tmax - special in concern of finer grain.
    with regards

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is a god, time to replace the two year old stuff in my fridge

16. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Questions:
    If you currently use Ilford d3200, why would you switch to Kodak p3200?
    If you aren't currently using Ilford d3200, why would you try Kodak p3200 now?

17. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Price might be an answer to the first question.

18. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. Might be a difference. I use d3200 on occasion for handheld lower light. Usually shoot ei1600 to tame contrast and grain a bit. Prints in darkroom without problem. I don't expect p3200 to be magically better than d3200, though.

19. NB23

NB23 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh I’m in love all over again

20. Willyekerslike

Willyekerslike Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I do not use film at 3200 asa. On the occasions that I need 800 or 1600 asa I use Ilford HP5 Plus and develop as necessary. I think that for those Kodak High Priests and their acolytes that the return of this film is a good thing. There will be those who have missed it when it was discontinued and its return will be welcomed and I think that the return of any discontinued film can not really be a bad thing.

Also now that Kodak have got this out of thier system will they please get their finger out and proceed to get the slide film promised for the end of last year out on sale. I worries me that Kodak seem to be taking thier cue from Farranie, promise a colour slide film and bring to market a black and white film after breaking the first dead line whille the colour film is a future dream. One thing that does please me is that kodak has not released the B&W film it as an 'Alpha' version with no real data on how it preforms but I do not think that Kodak has slipped to the level of a cottage industry yet.

So full marks for Kodak reinstating a black and white film but its easier to produce, I have read, than colour slide.
    Could do better if kodak if paid more attention in class with regards to the colour slide film

21. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm much more impressed by Ferrania's product release than I am with Kodak's. Ferrania brought a film onto the market from ground zero, while Kodak is an active film manufacturer and with distribution mechanisms already in place. I'm sure Kodak had a full list of technical specs ready to go on p3200 since it was only discontinued a couple of years ago.

22. guangong

guangong Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used Kodak’s. 3200 in the good old days. Have used D3200 occasionally in recent years, mainly at 800 in either my very quiet Retina or Minox III for shooting in dim music venues. Because our eyes and brains can make adjustments that is impossible for camera and film, I am often surprised at the degree of darkness given by my light meter. Depending upon user experiences reported by APUG members, may be willing to give K3200 a try.
    What I really want is a return of Plus x and a reversal film in 16mm and Super8.

23. OP
    OP
    Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Even if you aren't particularly interested in this particular film, it is undeniable that more films on the market and a larger choice is great.

24. Larry Cloetta

Larry Cloetta Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Both films have the same number in their name, but I never felt they looked much the same, and have always preferred the Tmax.
    Have been using the Ilford lately, as there was no other choice for fresh film, and I could get sort of close to the look I wanted, but have still been buying the occasional roll of well out of date Tmax, at two or three times the price, just because it was worth it to me to get what I really wanted.
    This is the best news I have heard in a while and totally unexpected.

25. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Meh. I have no use for high speed films.

26. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone recall what the default DX coding was or will be?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.