Now I remember why I hate ......

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Eric Rose, Nov 4, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if I were mixing a lot of powdered chemicals I would certainly buy a magnetic mixer! However I rarely deal with powdered chems.

I finally got 99% of the cruddies out of D76 through mixing with my hand mixer. Strained the rest out when pouring everything back into the 1 gal jug. I'm sure the purists will "tear their robes" when hearing of straining, but I was DONE.

Now to see how my experiment works out. The silly things you do once you are retired. I have pretty much everything dialed in with my goto film/dev/print system I have been using for many years. Why mess around with something new?

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have mixed many gallons of D76 and you don't shake, you stir. It's not a martini.

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do the same.It's a lot of fun and rewarding; I don't ow Kodak anything but respect.

4. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've never had an issue. And then I transfer it over to 1 liter plastic seltzer bottles. Never had a problem with those either.

5. DanG

DanG Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes! Really! The Camera Store in Calgary does indeed carry quite a good stock of BW chemicals.
    DanG

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    NEVER shake a Martini & Martinie are made of Gin, not Vodka! James Bum got it wrong in every movie and book.

7. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you like what D-76 does for you, but hate powders, try HC-110.

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or if you like full emulsion speed and the choice of replenishment, or not, T-Max RS.

9. OP
    OP
    Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is just an experiment I'm doing. I'll stick to my tried and true PyroCat-HD for all my usual needs.

10. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have to think you did something wrong. Did you pour the water into the powder, or powder into the water? Did you pour it slowly? We’re you using distilled water? Was the water heated? D76 powdered is all I’ve ever used and never had issues wit mixing it. I just pour the powder in a little bit at a time and stir it with a spoon. It takes me all of 3 minutes to mix up a liter.

11. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm finding that D-76 gives me a substantially nicer tone and grain than HC-110 with 400 speed films. Even pushed at 1:1 mix. Or maybe HC-110 dilutionB just isn't working for me.

12. NB23

NB23 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    For me, mixing powder is like yoga. Relaxing.

Soothing.

And when it’s done, I’m filled with a strong sense of accomplishment.

13. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mixed at the correct temperature, RTFB, with a stirring paddle in an open container. You're working too hard if you are shaking a gallon jug. You will not be putting a lot of oxygen into the mix but it's still hard work. A gallon plus jug weighs over eight ponds / 4 kilograms, that's work! Like others I have a second had stirrer in my home darkroom at school I just use a cheap paddle. You don't want to frappé it, introduced air is bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.