Threads
Members
Latest member
GRInfratech
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Multi Format
7F6D52AB-B062-40A7-BF1E-796F4E90D9AF.jpeg
I love the “clunky” finder. It goes well with the overall “clunkiness” of the big Nikon body and 1.4 lens

MontanaJay

Shooter
35mm
Great find, great condition, great camera.
Now all you have to do is learn to hold the back with your pinky finger while changing film.

Tel

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
What some people have hinted at but not said bluntly is that the metered finder is the weak point in the F system. The unmetered eyelevel finder like the one you've got is the one everyone wants, and you'll find they're expensive to buy. You can get a non-working Photomic finder for a fraction of the cost. A working metered one or a nice looking non-meterd version will set you back over $100.

The metered finder works around a "ring resistor" system that wears out over time and with heavy use and is expensive to repair. I had an F that I bought new and owned for 15 years. At the end, the meter had failed and I had solved the problem by metering off-camera.

dynachrome

Shooter
35mm
I got my First F last year. It's one of the last ones made. I don't really care for it. The sharp angles make it uncomfortable to hold and the placement of the shutter button is not to my liking either. I respect the F for its place in camera history and for how it advanced the use of 35mm SLRs. The F2 has a more rounded shape and has the shutter button in the normal location. Both models suffer from meter prism problems, as has been mentioned by others. Today I used a Nikkormat FT2 with a 35mm f/2 Nikkor-O and a Sunpak 411 flash.

When it comes to 35mm system SLRs, I prefer the Canon F-1 cameras.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom