My letter to KODAK, will reply with response. Please consider doing the same.

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Motiv, Dec 8, 2017.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Kodak markets a new camera, they already have a marketing gimmick that is just itching to be re-used:
    [​IMG]

2. rrusso

rrusso Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the new camera:

images-1.jpeg

4. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  5. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The CUBE? Well Steve Jobs did do the very cool CUBE but it was not his success.

6. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I disagree.

Automated misses the quirky aspect that might make a new camera product actually work. Think about vinyl records. Digital music is all automated to the extent that all I have to do is say "Hey Google, Play <name just about any song ever recorded here>". Dig photography is almost the same and there are so many images in the cloud that soon you'll be able to ask, by voice, to bring up the image, whatever it is, from any perspective, even if you didn't take it because somewhere the "camera" is always running and feeding into the cloud.

No, the draw of vinyl records is that it's a thing and and experience to take part in. You select the actual record, take it out, clean it off, put it on the turntable, read the dust jacket and so on. When the side is done you get up to turn it over. You think about the last time you played it and who you might have been with. I think a mostly manual camera is the same: you put the film in, you wind, you focus, you set the controls. It's an experience - you do a thing. You hold the negatives (or slides) and look at them and think about where you were when you took it and who you might have been with and how cold it was on that day.

It becomes an experience and a skill. Automation is for cell phones. My $0.02.

--Jason

7. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does it come with a selfie stick? I hope so. I detest buying something and the being forced to buy a lot of accessories.

8. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No it doesn't come with a selfie stick. It can walk around, following you and take your pictures all by itself. Oh yeah it does the composition by itself too.

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    and i thought it was going to be like the camera from "brother from another planet"

10. afriman

afriman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The idea was to have automatic as well as manual modes, so the user can see that a film camera can be both as easy and quick to use as a modern digital or a cell phone, but also allow for full manual control. I totally agree with your view of getting the user to think about what they are doing and to interact with the equipment, so I would like to see manual use being strongly encouraged. The thought of a fully manual model, something that forces you to get back to the basics, is also very appealing to me. How about two models - one fully manual and one manual/automatic?

These are the kind of details that will have to be worked out when the marketing of the concept and the cost of production are discussed. Would it make more sense to start with an auto/manual model and then later on introduce a fully manual one, or vice versa? Or should both be launched at the same time? If the concept takes off, more models offering different combinations of features will probably follow. More adventurous users can also be encouraged to start looking at the wide variety of used cameras available, once they have gained some experience. So the used market may actually benefit, especially if the range of new models is kept small.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  11. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not a trial study - overhaul a few Nikon FMs and FEs and see how it goes in terms off actual sales to “converts to film”.

Or some focus groups with high school and college kids, or elementary school kiddo’s if you have the patience.

12. moose10101

moose10101 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was hoping for the self-developing 35mm film from "The Man Who Fell to Earth".

13. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Polachrome wasn't self develop but it's very easy to develop.