My letter to KODAK, will reply with response. Please consider doing the same.

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Motiv, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you do win please make film, chemicals and paper don't make camera.

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting article on Ricardo Montalban. Thanks I learned a lot about the real person behind all those stock Latino parts where he could never be trusted. Many years his junior but he was destined to be stuck in the roles Hollywood had given to Gilbert Roland.

pentaxuser

4. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bill you make a very good point !

6. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love box cameras!

You build em I'll buy one. You can consider this a pre-order. :D

7. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks dan
    i'll let you know :wink:

8. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was in PVR last week and even saw a guy using a preloaded 35mm cardboard/plastic camera. I didn't think they sold those things anymore.

9. skorpiius

skorpiius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Although I agree with the naysayers, I wouldn't want to discourage the OP in sending that latter, probably something nice for some front line person to read during its dire straights.

As far as new cameras, I do agree there are a huge number of used ones still working fine, and other than the top of the line models many are dirt cheap.

The main advantage of a new model is it's nice if you're a pro to have a new, warrantied camera, and with 35mm you have the Nikon F6 to fill that niche. I'm not sure if it needs a competitor.

10. Ste_S

Ste_S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure, but he's coming at it from the wrong angle though. We don't need more cameras at the moment - there's plenty. I'd put more energy into converting people into shooting film to drive demand. I'd also make sure there was a stable film base (especially for C41 and E6) to be able to support any increased demand.

Increase demand, make sure the infrastructure is in place, then think about making a new film camera.

11. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OP if you do get a camera made
    make sure you AD-blast the heck out of it on
    facebook insta, flickr, and all the free media outlets you can find
    and if you have to use gorilla tactics like blair witch trial, do it without hesitation. and make sure
    you have some that are "special edition" ones bedazzled with semi precious stones
    ( and have them for sale on ebay, and donate the $100.000 to charity, create a buzz )
    have friends make it seem like they are a media outlet and do informercial type interviews
    and blast them on youtube, do podcasts .. maybe hire a troll farm to help advertise the heck out of it.

everyone loves a new toy ..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  12. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I totally agree! We need to get people using film and a new camera won't get people using film.

13. Wallendo

Wallendo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I personally shoot 2 or 3 "recyclable" cameras a year. These cameras still have a role. They are small, lightweight, and expendable. They can be taken places where many of us would not want to take a permanent (film or digital) camera.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ai Print

Ai Print Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just don't agree with this. I have several ideas in how a new camera could be made in an engaging new way to be yet one more point of renewed interest in getting people to use film.

Film needs as many gateways as it can get and I believe there is a lot of new ground to be broke here so the ideas need to flow. There are no bad ideas, just ones that need refinements and solid pathways.

16. afriman

afriman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Absolutely. Remember that we are talking about igniting interest to create a new generation of film users, so try not to look at it from the perspective of current enthusiasts. New products appeal to potential new users. Having film more readily available without a new, affordable camera to put it in, is nonsensical. Having to look for a usable second-hand camera without the necessary experience and know-how won't appeal to the majority of the younger generation.

To a degree, the revival of vinyl records can serve as an example. Initially people relied mainly on turntables they already had or that they could get hold of second-hand. Now the market is thriving partly because of the ready availability of a range of new turntables at various price points. Sure, it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Current enthusiasts like us need film to feed our old but perfectly good cameras. But if we believe that keeping film alive is a good thing, we should support the idea of new cameras for a younger generation. The film renaissance is very real - for the past few years the market has been growing at 5% per annum. This is not only because of the "novelty factor". A growing number of professional photographers and movie directors are also insisting on using film. To some extent, they are still catered for by the high-end equipment still available, but potential amateurs are left out in the cold. It's a whole ecosystem, and film and equipment available at one level can stimulate the industry at other levels as well.

17. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So what your new camera is like? Can you describe it? At least the people who are trying to make the Reflex have the idea of a 35mm camera with interchangeable back (not new but rare) and interchangeable lens mount which is a new idea. What kind of features you think this new camera of yours would have? If you don't have an idea of how a new camera is like how can anyone make it?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  18. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You keep saying new camera so what is it like except that it's new?

19. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    its shiny !

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    And costs more money. Me must spend more money!

21. afriman

afriman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YES, it's shiny!:smile: That's actually more important than you may think. All of us, and kids even more so, are attracted to what's new and shiny. Manufacturers of new products, marketers and advertisers are all acutely aware of that. The broad concept I imagine would be pretty much like one of the mid-range compacts of the 80s - something that's highly automated but also allows manual control. That's just for starters. Obviously, if the initial model proves successful, others can follow.

22. afriman

afriman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pricing has to be "appropriate". That's where market research comes in.

23. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK! Although I am not sure about shinny but good look is very important as I myself don't like ugly looking cameras.

24. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I refrain about cost because whatever it is a new model is going to be expensive to make. However, I am not saying that some manufacturer isn't willing to sell them at a loss.

25. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's a good thing although most of those mid range compact of the 80's didn't allow for manual controls. Actually as I think about it I would think it would make the kids want to shoot film if we can develop products that make DIY processing easier. Get them involved because digital is effortless so make film attractive in the way that it requires effort but not too much.

26. afriman

afriman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Shiny" in the sense that I'm using it, can also mean black, blue, red, or any colour you like!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.