Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks

newcan1

Shooter
35mm
I bought some packs of Microdol-X and its replenisher. I have vastly more replenisher than developer packs. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the replenisher and the developer; and is there any way to use the replenisher powder to just mix into straight developer?

Rudeofus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Kodak has published document J-4027 from November 2003 about Microdol-X, which contains instructions on page 3 how to make Microdol-X replenisher. According to this document, the replenisher is more concentrated than Microdol-X itself, and it contains 8.45 g/l Sodium Carbonate Monohydrate (equivalent to 7.22 g/l anhydrous). Diluting the replenisher back to stock developer concentration is simple, but you'd then have to cancel out the effect of the Sodium Carbonate. Try adding 1 mol Acetic Acid per mol of Sodium Carbonate and you should be in the ballpark.

Anon Ymous

Shooter
35mm
... Try adding 1 mol Acetic Acid per mol of Sodium Carbonate and you should be in the ballpark.
Adding a mol of Sodium Metabisulfite, or 2 mol of Sodium Bisulfite per mol of Sodium Carbonate will create Sodium Sulfite, which Microdol-X already contains in large quantity. IMHO, that would be a better approach. That said, the replenisher can also be used for its intended purpose.

Last edited:

Rudeofus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Acetic Acid ion is not an issue in Microdol-X, but yes, Metabisulfite will work just as well. Use whatever you have lying around. My main worry is the extra Carbonate/Bicarbonate, which will alter buffering of replenisher based Microdol-X.

OP
OP

newcan1

Shooter
35mm
This is all great information; Thanks! I see the Kodak document starts with a gallon (3.75L) pack of developer to make 3L of replenisher, so as well as neutralizing the sodium carbonate, I may have to add extra water (1.25x). I have 7 packs of replenisher but only 2 of developer, so it may be worth sacrificing a pack of replenisher to play with.

Rudeofus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
After rereading this post: if you don't neutralize the Sodium Carbonate, you end up with a Polydol clone, which might be interesting on its own. Therefore I'd say: dilute your replenisher 3:4 and develop a small test clip. As long as fogging is noticeable, add Acetic Acid or Sodium Metabisulfite and retest.

OP
OP

newcan1

Shooter
35mm
Very interesting. I will give that a shot before neutralizing the sodium carbonate. Thanks!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom